Saint Dougie... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Saint Dougie...

You are obviously in your 20's then because the Pats were the laughingstock of the NFL in late 8os and most of the 90's. Half empty stadiums were the norm. And then they became good, the faux Pats fans came out of the woods.

Haha Dougie is to good to coach the Bills but not too good for the Jags? Like I said only 32 HC gigs in the league and somebody overplayed their hand.

Marrone is a good (not great) coach. He is a bit too conservative for my taste as I was tired of watching him punt from the opponents 40 yard line on 4th and short. Everything points to him being a real turd as a human being. I think his ceiling at Syracuse was 6-8 wins most years with a trip to Pinstripe or some other marginal bowl. IMO, Babers has a higher ceiling in a much tougher conference.
In hind site given the shitshow that Whaley has proven to be as a GM, Doug might have made the right move to pocket the cash and move on. In his defense, I think Marrone thought he had the Jets job in the bag. I can't believe I'm defending the arrogant asshat, but here I am.

In hind site given the shitshow that Whaley has proven to be as a GM, Doug might have made the right move to pocket the cash and move on. In his defense, I think Marrone thought he had the Jets job in the bag. I can't believe I'm defending the arrogant asshat, but here I am.
I think he admitted thinking he had it in the bag. In fact, I think he did have it in the bag until the rant by Casullo. But he made out fine as good coaches do.

He left the Bills thinking he had the Jets job AND KNOWING he had $4M coming to him from the Bills either way. 2 years later he was offered another HC job in the NFL. It worked out well for him. His predecessor was canned for performance reasons. Doug was not canned...he left on his own terms and now has a decent re-building gig at the moment.

The Bills organization is amateur hour and Doug couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.
It'snot just the $4M, which the team could have matched to keep him, but that he was being ignored in favor of idiots (Doug Whaley) on player personnel decisions. Why stick with an organization that doesn't listen to you and has a dysfunctional (borderline incompetent) front office?

Last edited:
Not only $4M, which the team could have paid to keep him, but also he was being ignored in favor of idiots (Doug Whaley) on player personnel decisions. Why stick with an organization that doesn't listen to you and has a dysfunctional (borderline incompetent) front office?
Plus he got an asst. job for 2 years and collected that salary too.

I just want to know with all you "Dream Job" hacklers of Marrone, what do you say to your friends or family who have left a spouse or long term significant other?
upload_2017-10-3_16-48-18.gif

I think he admitted thinking he had it in the bag. In fact, I think he did have it in the bag until the rant by Casullo. But he made out fine as good coaches do.

Casullo was a real clown for that. Just a dirty move. Regardless of your feelings, you don’t purposely mess with a man’s money and career like that.

It'snot just the $4M, which the team could have matched to keep him, but that he was being ignored in favor of idiots (Doug Whaley) on player personnel decisions. Why stick with an organization that doesn't listen to you and has a dysfunctional (borderline incompetent) front office?
Why would Pegula have allowed Marrone to make personnel decisions over the General Manager? When has he ever shown that he deserves that level of authority?

Marrone was too busy devising offensive schemes that didn't work and finding new ways on how not to use analytics for his game management decisions. He couldn't be bogged down by personnel as well.

Why would Pegula have allowed Marrone to make personnel decisions over the General Manager? When has he ever shown that he deserves that level of authority?

Marrone was too busy devising offensive schemes that didn't work and finding new ways on how not to use analytics for his game management decisions. He couldn't be bogged down by personnel as well.
You have to let go of Doug. It was mind altering while it lasted, buts it's over and it's taking away who you really are.

The only thing delusional is saying Doug Marrone is too good for any job. Except for maybe "In-game Punting Coordinator." He was a .500 coach in college and he is .500 coach in the pros. He has accomplished NOTHING of significance.

I was laughing my arse off at the Patriots every Sunday well before you were out of your diapers. Its funny... All Pats fans think football started in 2001. I never heard of a Patriots fan before the mid 2000's - but hey, everybody loves a winn-- orr uh cheater! Bills are 3-1 and leading the AFC East without Doug Marrone so I'm glad he's a con-artist quitter. We're better off without him.

And Syracuse Football will be eventually as well.
These have just been cracking me up.

Eh, that's kind of one sided.

The Pegulas didn't buy a team so that they could take orders from the previous regime's headcoach.

Eh, that's kind of one sided.

The Pegulas didn't buy a team so that they could take orders from the previous regime's headcoach.
Eh, that's kind of one-sided. Marrone didn't come to Buffalo to rescusitate a dead body so he could be told by ownership or a (stupid) GM how to pick talent. The front office had proven conclusively over the years that they didn't know how to do that. The only thing different was Marrone, not Whaley. Exhibit A: EJM.

Eh, that's kind of one-sided. Marrone didn't come to Buffalo to rescusitate a dead body so he could be told by ownership or a (stupid) GM how to pick talent. The front office had proven conclusively over the years that they didn't know how to do that. The only thing different was Marrone, not Whaley. Exhibit A: EJM.
If the front office had proven conclusively over the years that they couldn't pick talent, yes, yes he did.

Especially considering part of why he said he took the job was because of all of Buffalo's... wait for it... talent.

EJM was the Bills version of Jamarcus Russell. I don't blame Doug for bailing after that.

EJM was the Bills version of Jamarcus Russell. I don't blame Doug for bailing after that.
If only there was a QB available that offseason that he could have acquired in free agency.

If only there was a QB available that offseason that he could have acquired in free agency.
Who Whaley? I think we all just discussed the fact that one of the reasons Doug left was lack of input on personnel decisions so I don't see your point. There were QBs available, Whaley wanted EJM, where you going with this?

Who Whaley? I think we all just discussed the fact that one of the reasons Doug left was lack of input on personnel decisions so I don't see your point. There were QBs available, Whaley wanted EJM, where you going with this?
A couple months after Marrone quit, the Bills signed Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel. Manuel finished third in the competition. Marrone wasn't forced to play Manuel.

A couple months after Marrone quit, the Bills signed Tyrod Taylor and Matt Cassel. Manuel finished third in the competition. Marrone wasn't forced to play Manuel.
Manuel was their supposed savior and top QB pick, as I recall. Whaley was all in on Manuel, over Marrone's objection. In most (functional) franchises, the HC has significant influence over personnel decisions. Yet Marrone was ignored in Buffalo -- in favor of other front office buffoons that had a terrible track record. You make it sound like Marrone was so busy doing Hacket's job that he couldn't be bothered to help pick the teams new QB. Not so. Manuel was (and still is) a bust. Marrone knew it. Whaley didn't. Whaley sucked, and is a big part of why Buffalo's record is what it is. Perpetual failure. I don't blame Marrone for wanting out and getting paid $4M for the privilege.

Manuel was their supposed savior and top QB pick, as I recall. Whaley was all in on Manuel, over Marrone's objection. In most (functional) franchises, the HC has significant influence over personnel decisions. Yet Marrone was ignored in Buffalo -- in favor of other front office buffoons that had a terrible track record. You make it sound like Marrone was so busy doing Hacket's job that he couldn't be bothered to help pick the teams new QB. Not so. Manuel was (and still is) a bust. Marrone knew it. Whaley didn't. Whaley sucked, and is a big part of why Buffalo's record is what it is. Perpetual failure. I don't blame Marrone for wanting out and getting paid $4M for the privilege.
Marrone wanted Orton and Whaley got him. The next season Whaley landed two free agents to battle for the starting job against Manuel, both of whom beat Manuel out.

Whaley wasn't "all in" on Manuel or forcing him on anyone. You Marrone homers love recreating history to make Dougie look like the saint he proclaims himself to be. It's hilarious, actually.

I'm not going to argue that Whaley didn't suck. He was rightly fired for a reason. But so did (does?) Marrone.

Not a Marrone homer. I follow him just b/c he's a Syracuse guy. I follow Buffalo more closely when they have an SU player .. which right now they don't (except Shamarko). That's why I've tracked Indy (Harrison/Freeney), and Giants (Pugh, Bromley). I watch the Cardinals b/c they have Chandler, etc. Marrone's not a guy you "like" because of his effusive personality, just one you respect because of his coaching ability.

In fact, after Marrone left SU I was bitter. He had the right to leave, sure. I didn't like him raiding the staff, and I thought he handled the situation poorly -- with little honest communication. But I'm over it. And I wish him the best. As far as his stint with Buffalo, yes I give Marrone the benefit of the doubt. Over the years, I've learned not to trust anything the Buffalo front office does or says. They're losers, or at least they were until the recent attrition. We just disagree about whether Buffalo gave Marrone a fair shake. I don't think they did.
The Bills' front office that strangely decided to hire Marrone were full of losers. We agree there.

Last edited:
And Marrone played him and won with him.

won what exactly?

2-2 with EJ

7-4 with Orton - the last win coming in week 17 against a Patriots team that had its playoff seed locked in place and nothing to play for. Brady played 1st half only and 6 starters were sat for the entire game with many other key players, I am sure, not taking their full load of snaps just like Brady.

I must have missed the parade and they must still be working on the "2014 - *9 wins" banner they'll be hanging at New Era Field.
No parade but take that game out and Marrone still won more games than he lost with Orton.

won what exactly?

2-2 with EJ

7-4 with Orton - the last win coming in week 17 against a Patriots team that had its playoff seed locked in place and nothing to play for. Brady played 1st half only and 6 starters were sat for the entire game with many other key players, I am sure, not taking their full load of snaps just like Brady.
ok...even if you say 6-4 with Orton, that means he won more that he lost with Orton. He won with Orton. Meantime, Rex could not coach to a winning record in any season there.

ok...even if you say 6-4 with Orton, that means he won more that he lost with Orton. He won with Orton. Meantime, Rex could not coach to a winning record in any season there.
Is Rex Ryan the gold standard now? Is that where we are? "He did slightly better than Rex Ryan!" Whoopty-damn-doo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom