Saturday is for all the marbles | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Saturday is for all the marbles

if grant is close to 100% i think we win by 10. after the year theyve had theyre not gonna let virginia steal the acc from them. we'll rise to the challenge
Grants fine.

I think I saw on one of the websites Kansas has played the toughest schedule according to the RPI in the last 30 years or something.
I really think this is a shallow argument, and I see it everywhere.

They played a tough sched, no question. And they have 7 top 25 rpi wins, which is excellent. But they've also lost 5, which is understandable. By contrast we've won 3 and lost 1. So which team is better based on top 25 games?

If we'd played 12, would our record be 9-3 or maybe 7-5? If Kansas played 4 would their record be 3-1 or maybe 2-2?

Does Kansas deserve extra credit because they stepped onto the floor with top teams 12 times and we only did 4?

I don't know the right answer, but I certainly wouldn't say Kansas is great simply because they were on the same floor with top teams 12 times.

And what about Wichita st? They're great because they beat 1 top team?

Maybe this is what makes the committees job tough. Teams with vastly different profiles having to be judged on equal terms. Throw in the conferences playing games with the rpi (I'm looking at you mountain west), and it becomes a crapshoot.

Winning the regular season will be recognized in the committees eyes and will go a long way to us getting a #1 seed.

It would be a huge confidence booster and validating moment as well. It would erase the Duke loss in some respects.

That way we can then lose in the ACC tourney, and act like we didn't care. That we were just preparing for the NCAAs.

I wouldn't say I was making an argument. I was just stating what I had read. wouldn't be surprised at all to see the committee reward it. if they run the table, they probably have a decent shot at a 1.

And that BC loss could really hurt us.

If Anyone thinks Wichita State would better than 26-2 with our schedule I would call them crazy. I don't think we are the most talented team in the country, but this crap about Wichita State deserving a 1 seed is really pissing me off. If Croshere or anybody wants to give Wichita State a 1 seed then they can't apply the Kansas deserves one because of their schedule excuse. I would give a 1 seed to Kansas, but wouldn't to Wichita State. 2 years ago Murray State had 1 loss the entire regular season and was given a 6 seed in the tournament. OVC conference is slightly below the MVC conference and that season Murray State went on the road and beat top 25 Memphis. I get Wichita State won @St. Louis, but that is their ONLY win against a sure fire NCAA Tournament team. God this crap is annoying.

They probably will. Their final 3 games are @OK St, Texas Tech, @ WVU.
Both WVU and Ok State are fighting for their NCAA lives and KU clinching the Big XII title already I bet one of them probably Oklahoma State will beat Kansas. It wouldn't shock me if Embiid sat out a game to get him healthy for the NCAA Tournament.

Both WVU and Ok State are fighting for their NCAA lives and KU clinching the Big XII title already I bet one of them probably Oklahoma State will beat Kansas. It wouldn't shock me if Embiid sat out a game to get him healthy for the NCAA Tournament.
Which is a major problem for Kansas. Embiid will not be healthy the rest of the year.

I wouldn't say I was making an argument. I was just stating what I had read. wouldn't be surprised at all to see the committee reward it. if they run the table, they probably have a decent shot at a 1.

And that BC loss could really hurt us.
Didn't mean to imply that you were making that argument, just that I see it and hear it used as an argument a lot.

Kansas is playing for a #1 seed. TT and WVU have no NCAA shot other than winning the Big12 tourney. The Ok St. game is the last chance for someone to beat them, imo.

Kansas is playing for a #1 seed. TT and WVU have no NCAA shot other than winning the Big12 tourney. The Ok St. game is the last chance for someone to beat them, imo.
Dude while I am not a fan of WVU anti-ACC pro-BigXII jihadists that team has been playing really well recently and they are most certainly on the bubble for the NCAA Tournament. Plus, Kansas has to travel to Morgantown which isn't exactly the easiest venue to win a game in. I don't think your realize how close West Virginia is too the bubble and along with Oklahoma State both need the Kansas scalp on their resume for their at-large chances. Kansas is playing for a 1 seed, but they barely beat Texas Tech in Lubbock like we did @ Maryland. I don't think Kansas cares about the 1 seed as much as they care about being healthy. I think KU could lose both games on the road, but I think they will end up splitting those games unless Self sits Embiid for both which is unlikely.

i think oklahoma st will beat kansas, that place will be insane for that game.

I really think this is a shallow argument, and I see it everywhere.

They played a tough sched, no question. And they have 7 top 25 rpi wins, which is excellent. But they've also lost 5, which is understandable. By contrast we've won 3 and lost 1. So which team is better based on top 25 games?

If we'd played 12, would our record be 9-3 or maybe 7-5? If Kansas played 4 would their record be 3-1 or maybe 2-2?

Does Kansas deserve extra credit because they stepped onto the floor with top teams 12 times and we only did 4?

I don't know the right answer, but I certainly wouldn't say Kansas is great simply because they were on the same floor with top teams 12 times.

And what about Wichita st? They're great because they beat 1 top team?

Maybe this is what makes the committees job tough. Teams with vastly different profiles having to be judged on equal terms. Throw in the conferences playing games with the rpi (I'm looking at you mountain west), and it becomes a crapshoot.

I hear you. That "we played good teams" argument drove me nuts in the bubble years. The arguments for Illinois & Purdue were that they played a couple good teams in the non-conf, lost them all, and beat nobody. So? They don't have to be punished for those losses, but don't reward them either. That's all the incentive anyone should need to schedule tough. When you compared the resumes & quality of wins it wasn't close - ours was better.

I don't think this is the same thing though w/ Kansas because of their wins. I'm guessing they also have a lot more road wins than us vs 25-50 type teams as well, which should count for something imo.

I'd still give the edge to us now but I can at least understand the argument if they were to run the table.

This game is all about offense for us. Put the ball in the hoop and we win the game going away (I know thats a captain obvious comment). Virginia can starve on offense like we can for stretches so its imperative that we play well offensively and dont have these 5-6 minute scoring droughts that we have had.
What pace do you think UVA will play on offense against us? Do you think they hold for 30 per possession?

What pace do you think UVA will play on offense against us? Do you think they hold for 30 per possession?

We don't necessarily try and drag out possessions, but rather just look for the highest % shot.

Against the Cuse zone, though, that will probably result in many offensive possessions running over 30 seconds.

SoBeCuse said:
They certainly could and we all know that these Self teams start to surge right about now. Pitino teams, too.

Only to lose against an directional school in the NCAA. Another Self team special ;).

Only to lose against an directional school in the NCAA. Another Self team special ;).

It really is amazing how much better they are vs other big schools (how they won that Ohio St game I still don't know).
What was that N. Iowa dude's name? Ari Faruknamish?

It really is amazing how much better they are vs other big schools (how they won that Ohio St game I still don't know).
What was that N. Iowa dude's name? Ari Faruknamish?

Farokhmanesh, yes. No. Iowa was good. I still can't believe how they LOST and melted down against Michigan last year.

Really have to cheat out on harris and brogdon on this one. Let the other guys beat us. If the zone is as good as it was against Duke, we should win.

We don't necessarily try and drag out possessions, but rather just look for the highest % shot.

Against the Cuse zone, though, that will probably result in many offensive possessions running over 30 seconds.
I think the score may be in the 60s for this game because neither team will bleed the clock.

This game is all about offense for us. Put the ball in the hoop and we win the game going away (I know thats a captain obvious comment). Virginia can starve on offense like we can for stretches so its imperative that we play well offensively and dont have these 5-6 minute scoring droughts that we have had.

Final score- 25-23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom