Say a little prayer for the Rossco | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Say a little prayer for the Rossco

We were down the Jersey shore when I was a kid and a hurricane was coming. We were packing when the police came by to make sure we were evacuating. Then the went next door, and the people there said they were staying to ride the storm out. The policeman tried to convince them to leave, but they insisted they were staying. Finally the police took out a Sharpie and told them to put out their arms. They asked why. He told them he wanted them to write their next of kin on their arms so they could be notified when they found their bodies. They left shortly thereafter. Fine police work, especially with stupid people.

If you are in the path of the storm and can evacuate, get out while you can. Better safe than sorry.

We were down the Jersey shore when I was a kid and a hurricane was coming. We were packing when the police came by to make sure we were evacuating. Then the went next door, and the people there said they were staying to ride the storm out. The policeman tried to convince them to leave, but they insisted they were staying. Finally the police took out a Sharpie and told them to put out their arms. They asked why. He told them he wanted them to write their next of kin on their arms so they could be notified when they found their bodies. They left shortly thereafter. Fine police work, especially with stupid people.

If you are in the path of the storm and can evacuate, get out while you can. Better safe than sorry.

They had Sharpies in the 1940s?

Wayne Mahar said that the National Weather Serivce is sayign the same thing they did for Katrina: that some area might not be inhavbitable for weeks or months.

Living in CNY is a blessing we can get some pretty good snowstorms and an occasional tornado but I've never had to leave my house, so hundreds of miles and wonder what i would be returning to.

Good luck to anyone who needs it.

Wayne Mahar said that the National Weather Serivce is sayign the same thing they did for Katrina: that some area might not be inhavbitable for weeks or months.

Living in CNY is a blessing we can get some pretty good snowstorms and an occasional tornado but I've never had to leave my house, so hundreds of miles and wonder what i would be returning to.

And what really sucks is the fact that it's hitting so close to the coming of the colder months.

I agree. Upstate NY is one of the least threatening places to live weatherwise. I laugh when people talk about the great weather in the south. Killer heat in the summer...hurricanes in the fall, and tornadoes in the spring and summer.

But I still remember that Labor Day storm (derecho) we had..that was nasty and I think the top wind was just above 100 mph. Mild compared to what they're forecasting for the southeast coast.

Hope everyone stays safe.

I agree. Upstate NY is one of the least threatening places to live weatherwise. I laugh when people talk about the great weather in the south. Killer heat in the summer...hurricanes in the fall, and tornadoes in the spring and summer.

But I still remember that Labor Day storm (derecho) we had..that was nasty and I think the top wind was just above 100 mph. Mild compared to what they're forecasting for the southeast coast.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Remember that too. Nothing like a "snow day" to start my senior year of high school in the fall of '98.

Here's Freeport a few hours ago

bevosu said:
I agree. Upstate NY is one of the least threatening places to live weatherwise. I laugh when people talk about the great weather in the south. Killer heat in the summer...hurricanes in the fall, and tornadoes in the spring and summer. But I still remember that Labor Day storm (derecho) we had..that was nasty and I think the top wind was just above 100 mph. Mild compared to what they're forecasting for the southeast coast. Hope everyone stays safe.

That Labor Day thing was nuts. What did they call it? A wind sheer? My brother lived in a small apartment building in Fairmont at the time. He was on the top floor. Was asleep until he felt the building shaking and when he awoke he was looking up and saw his bedroom ceiling and the roof get torn right off. He was laying in bed looking at the stars. Naturally he GTF out of there. I drove over there when I couldn't get ahold of him and that area was like a war zone. Just crazy. One person died at the state fair grounds.

That Labor Day thing was nuts. What did they call it? A wind sheer? My brother lived in a small apartment building in Fairmont at the time. He was on the top floor. Was asleep until he felt the building shaking and when he awoke he was looking up and saw his bedroom ceiling and the roof get torn right off. He was laying in bed looking at the stars. Naturally he GTF out of there. I drove over there when I couldn't get ahold of him and that area was like a war zone. Just crazy. One person died at the state fair grounds.
microburst

They had Sharpies in the 1940s?
Actually, you're right. It was probably one of these
upload_2016-10-7_8-46-21.jpeg

have to say it was pretty awesome being in Faegans when that thing hit all huddled up against the wall with our pints. the walk home was surreal, the next morning more so.

Hope we hear from Rossco soon, but I assume there may not be power there for a while.

My office is in Nassau and our servers are still down. Power will be out in politically unimportant places for a long time to come. But most expat types have generators and i'm in communication with my coo who is parked at atlantis to run the company during the storm. The Bahamas is different than florida, assuming this guy is an American he very likely lives in a structure that is not at sea level and that is very heavy duty concrete. I just heard from maintenance that our condo made it through unscathed and that's right on the water but elevated and with heavy duty glass. It's not like florida where there is still a lot of wood construction and all those mobile homes.

Wish I could upload the picture my buddy in Jax just sent me (can't figure out how to upload) - it's a shark in the streets of Jacksonville Beach. Sharknado baby!

Wish I could upload the picture my buddy in Jax just sent me (can't figure out how to upload) - it's a shark in the streets of Jacksonville Beach. Sharknado baby!
Can you put it on facebook or email it to me. I'll upload it then for you!! Must be a wild picture!

Can you put it on facebook or email it to me. I'll upload it then for you!! Must be a wild picture!
nvm if the photo on here is the same one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom