Say a little prayer for the Rossco | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Say a little prayer for the Rossco

Mrs. Real and I ran from the storm. Still in Columbia, SC where we got 40-50 mph winds, about half of what went down on Hilton Head. Fortunately, we live off the Island. A friend who stayed sent pictures of our home with water in the front and back but not up to the house itself. Minor structural damage.

Hilton Head is a disaster area from anything we've been told. Matthew arrived outside HHI right at high tide. For those of you who have been there, you have a good idea of what happened. Water as high as the stop signs in some places. We saw a video of a never ending line of emergency vehicles going over the bridge to the Island. I doubt they will allow residents back for at least another 2-3 days.

I bothers me that all the coverage after Florida worried about Charleston and MB. Both had flooding but not much more than some heavy rains in the past. These areas will recover quickly while HHI will be a long time coming back.

Unfortunately, one of our boys had his home on St. Simons Island and his rental property at St. Augustine Beach destroyed or at least heavily damaged. We don't know exactly because he and his family were in NYC on vacation. Very sad.

We'll be able to go back home by Monday, maybe tomorrow. It's up to the State and Cty. emergency personnel. All I have to worry about personally is looking out for the Copperheads that got driven to high land by the storm.

Last edited:
My daughter in law is from Fayetteville, NC. Her family members are all stranded in their homes. The whole city is pretty much shut down and flooded. They had over 20 inches of rain yesterday.

Reports are that there were no injuries or deaths in Freeport as everyone there followed instructions. They are pretty much 100% without power and will be for quite some time. I guess we will hear from Rossco when he gets power or somewhere there is a generator. I am sure life is pretty uncomfortable there right now.

My daughter in law is from Fayetteville, NC. Her family members are all stranded in their homes. The whole city is pretty much shut down and flooded. They had over 20 inches of rain yesterday.
I'll wager that the state of NC suffers the worst when all is said and done. Historic flooding across large swaths, hundreds of water rescues. The issues in Florida - while significant - were primarily confined to coastal areas.

Last edited:
Yep so many in New Orleans rode it out and paid a dear price when Katrina came through.
Regardless of whether city residents had the means to leave or not, the disaster in New Orleans was entirely man-made. The metro area only experienced Cat 1-2 winds because A) Katrina had weakened to a Cat 3 when it reached the coast, and B) the worst of the storm veered towards the MS coast in the last few hours before landfall. The levees absolutely should have survived as they were allegedly built to Cat 3 codes. Was the Army Corps ever held partially liable?

I'll wager that the state of NC suffers the worst when all is said and done. Historic flooding across large swaths, hundreds of water rescues. The issues in Florida - while significant - were primarily confined to coastal areas.
Spoke to my daughter in law today. All of her family is ok, but she said many areas are terrible around Fayetteville and Lumberton. She has friends who are out of their homes due to flooding and dam breaks. Her Mom can get to one food store. Many roads are closed. Glad she and my son live in LA where all I had to worry about was the week long warning for a potential huge earthquake a couple of weeks ago!!

Spoke to my daughter in law today. All of her family is ok, but she said many areas are terrible around Fayetteville and Lumberton. She has friends who are out of their homes due to flooding and dam breaks. Her Mom can get to one food store. Many roads are closed. Glad she and my son live in LA where all I had to worry about was the week long warning for a potential huge earthquake a couple of weeks ago!!
oops spoke too soon. Just saw this article which came out tonight. My son lives in Culver City and works in Santa Monica. Right where this seismic activity is happening!!
Deep seismic activity found along California fault

Checking in on Rossco. How did you fare, bud? Hope you're doing OK.

That Labor Day thing was nuts. What did they call it? A wind sheer? My brother lived in a small apartment building in Fairmont at the time. He was on the top floor. Was asleep until he felt the building shaking and when he awoke he was looking up and saw his bedroom ceiling and the roof get torn right off. He was laying in bed looking at the stars. Naturally he GTF out of there. I drove over there when I couldn't get ahold of him and that area was like a war zone. Just crazy. One person died at the state fair grounds.

That was crazy. I made $11,000 in 5 days with a chainsaw, It was completely nuts. Remember I was a college kid back then. As I am sure many will complain about profiting from the micro. Most were just people with down trees in their yards etc

Rossco123 said:
Freeport Grand Bahama

Glad to hear from you. Bout time you got your internet back. Was it crazy?

Freeport Grand Bahama

Sorry internet was the last thing on. Many have lost every thing!
Welcome back and glad you are ok! Still, very sorry to hear about all of the loss. :(

Glad to hear from you Rosco. You guys absolutely got the worst of the storm pass over you. My daughter in law's family is in the part of North Carolina with the severe flooding. They all are ok, but they have friends who homes were or still are totally under water. As you can see, you were in our thoughts through the whole ordeal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom