Say What You Will About Cohen, But His Article Re Hunt Today... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Say What You Will About Cohen, But His Article Re Hunt Today...

makes you wonder what his goals are

My feelings were maybe he hasn't had that much of a chance to do so and the more knowledge the better. If his ultimate goal is the NFL I hope he's successful here and we can catapult him right into the league.

Cohen does not seem to know the difference between a Pistol (QB lines up 4 yards behind center) and the Shotgun (QB lines up 7 yards behind center). Here is the deal - if he doesn't know more than me, why should I read him? AND I am no expert, just an average Orange (or is it now Blue?) fan! There was nothing in that article article that anyone who watched the game did not know already except Lester's comments. Most of that has been illustrated ad nauseum on TV.

It is impossible to properly evaluate a QB if you can't see the whole field - which you can't on ESPN3 rebroadcast. We have no idea whether or not anyone was open down field. Did he miss an open receiver? Did he check down too quickly? The biggest difference between Hunt and Allen besides accuracy and mobility is that Allen threw to receivers that were not open and Hunt did not. When Allen locked in he threw it - open or not. When Hunt locked in the receiver was open or about to become open. Besides, most of the time Hunt locked in were on quick hitters.

Cohen has a great deal to learn before he expounds as if he was an expert. He only shows his inexperience and lack of knowledge. I commend him for putting in the effort but everything he learns does not have to go into print - especially if it is really basic or trite.

I am glad someone enjoyed the article but I have to disagree on its value/content.

makes you wonder what his goals are

In a short period of time, maybe NFL staffs were more generous with information since they view our program as a supplier and not a competitor. Or maybe I'm less cynical and more naive.

I think Cohen has you all doing what he wants! Talking about him which actually makes him relevant. Write a nice article to show you can do it and write a opinionated article to get people to read what you wrote just to see what you said. People will read that haven't because they will want to know what he is saying to have everyone in arms so they can formulate an opinion.

In a short period of time, maybe NFL staffs were more generous with information since they view our program as a supplier and not a competitor. Or maybe I'm less cynical and more naive.
Pro style offenses come with a pro style mentality. You know, like punting when you're down by a td in the 4th quarter with time running out and expecting the D to get the ball back with enough time to score the tying or winning td. Pro offenses are generally very low risk oriented and rely on strong offensive line play. No razzle dazzle, little unpredictability and not a lot of excitement imo.

I think Cohen has you all doing what he wants! Talking about him which actually makes him relevant. Write a nice article to show you can do it and write a opinionated article to get people to read what you wrote just to see what you said. People will read that haven't because they will want to know what he is saying to have everyone in arms so they can formulate an opinion.

I stopped reading him a few weeks ago. I only read this last article because it was posted here. So, I won't need to be irritated by him anymore, regardless of what is posted or not.

The article hasn't showed up in the bottom of my land lady's bird cage yet, so I haven't actually read it.

All I'm saying is he is discussed here more than the HC and 2 coordinators combined

is as good as anything I've read in the PS in years including Rahme, Webb, etc.: http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/09/film_study_a_closer_look_at_te.html

Yes. I know some guys on the board are all-kinds-of-fired-up about this guy and I haven't been following it so I don't know what he did to arouse so many people's ire but this is a really good article.

Think about how much time he had to put in to be able to write this single article. Regardless of whether you like or hate the guy, at least this much you ahve to acknowledge.

If he does this for every game and can identify trends over multiple games, he can take his analysis, and therefore his journalism, to a whole different level.

I like it.

As I said yesterday (or tried to say), they each have their strengths and weaknesses. The weaknesses get most of the play on this board.

You know the first thing I thought when I read this? The staff probably hates this article more than any of the others. The opposing staff will do their own film study, charting, trending, etc, but I wonder if our staff will ask him to stop making their job easier.

Not meant to be a complaint about the article, I found it very interesting.

I'm sure the opposing staff saw anything Cohen saw. It's not exactly Wikileaks.

I'm sure the opposing staff saw anything Cohen saw. It's not exactly Wikileaks.

Which I basically said in my post, but thanks for pointing out because others could have missed that as well.

But we're talking about college football coaches and they're never paranoid so Shafer will probably compliment him for the work.

Yes. I know some guys on the board are all-kinds-of-fired-up about this guy and I haven't been following it so I don't know what he did to arouse so many people's ire but this is a really good article.

Think about how much time he had to put in to be able to write this single article. Regardless of whether you like or hate the guy, at least this much you ahve to acknowledge.

If he does this for every game and can identify trends over multiple games, he can take his analysis, and therefore his journalism, to a whole different level.

I like it.
And it does not bother you that the guy doing the analysis can't tell the difference between a Pistol and a Shotgun? He will look back at this article some day and ask himself if he was that stupid years ago. Do you think Dave would have made those mistakes?

Dave come back!!

And it does not bother you that the guy doing the analysis can't tell the difference between a Pistol and a Shotgun? He will look back at this article some day and ask himself if he was that stupid years ago. Do you think Dave would have made those mistakes?

Dave come back!!

Accuracy in journalism doesn't matter, remember? Volume is what matters!

I think the point is that this kid needs to stick to what he is getting paid to do. If he wants to work for espn and pretend to know how to read plays like Ron Jaworski then please please leave this town. He has YET to show anyone that he is capable of doing what his job title is currently. The Post Standard is at fault for letting this go as long as it has. There is a reason they are not what they once were as a newspaper.

Dave come back!!
Well, the fact that he called one the other does not mean "he can't tell the difference". As critical as I am about the kid, it's not that egregious. I bet if you asked him to describe the difference, he'd be able to tell you.

Well, the fact that he called one the other does not mean "he can't tell the difference". As critical as I am about the kid, it's not that egregious. I bet if you asked him to describe the difference, he'd be able to tell you.
I would take that bet.

I like it.

Thanks for stopping by Mrs. Cohen.

Ok, maybe he is figuring out he needs to step up his game.

That was a good piece.

We've had the Sunday paper delivered for years. I called and cancelled yesterday and let the customer service person know that as long as Cohen is an employee we won't be supporting them in any form.

Oh for gosh sakes.

You guys are losing it.

Dave come back!!

Read the article. Did not watch the videos. If his analysis was faulty. Not good. Seemed like a good article.

Would be a shame considering the amount of time and effort he obviously put into it.

I appreciate the effort - something that is clearly lacking in most of the articles that I see online these days.

In most cases, you can tell that the person writing the article did zero research.

Last edited:
Oh for gosh sakes.

You guys are losing it.

Agreed. It reminds me of all the complaints about Carl Eilenberg when he was doing PA at the Dome. Way over the top.

Any chance I can find you at the Clemson game? Love to respond to this in person.

I first came on board in 1999 when we were on Syracuse.com. I distinctly remember one poster becoming so angry at another poster that he said he knew where the guy sat at the dome and that he was coming in with a two-by-four to the next game and was going to hit the guy over the head with it. I think of that guy every time I got through security at the gate. Would they let the guy in with a two-by-four? Hey, it's not metal!

Agreed. It reminds me of all the complaints about Carl Eilenberg when he was doing PA at the Dome. Way over the top.

Guess I must have missed the time Carl posted baseless rumors on Twitter about one of our committed recruits - and then blew it off like it was no big deal. Way way way over the top for a Syracuse fan to be pissed about something like that :crazy: