SB Nation ACC power rankings by tier | Syracusefan.com

SB Nation ACC power rankings by tier

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...acc-power-rankings-2015-florida-state-clemson

We are in tier 4 with Wake Forest. This is why patience can't be expected by our fanbase. We are in year 3 of the Scott Shafer Era. Either give him extension now and say he is the HC of the foreseeable future or this is a make it or break it season. There can be no other mindset. Our FB brand is pathetic right now and I don't care about the schedule as we all know it has been tough hard in the OOC games. Our 2 year ranking in the SS has been 60th in the nation and our 5 year ranking is 68th in the nation.

If you think SS is the guy Syracuse then give the man an extension and the fanbase will unite, but this hedging BS is killing us on the recruiting trail and keeps the freaking fanbase divided between the kool aid drinkers and people who want change.

Panic decisions without enough time given to completely understand the situation facing the football program is what got TGD off on the wrong foot and caused the death spiral. If TGD (and his boss) had taken a year to understand the situation the transition to a new coach had the potential for a much better result than the GROB era. Live and LEARN. The way BB transition was handled is telling. Thank goodness the our alma mater is once again being run by adults.
GO ORANGE !

Panic decisions without enough time given to completely understand the situation facing the football program is what got TGD off on the wrong foot and caused the death spiral. If TGD (and his boss) had taken a year to understand the situation the transition to a new coach had the potential for a much better result than the GROB era. Live and LEARN. The way BB transition was handled is telling. Thank goodness the our alma mater is once again being run by adults.
GO ORANGE !
What is the panic decision regarding football? If our recruiting is being hurt by SS being in a state of flux that has to be corrected one way or the other.

this is my issue with the koolaid drinkers-

its always about more time- heck we would still have robinson if they had there way-

he either snits or gets off the pot -show some kind of offense that can actually score more than once a season

defense will be below par to start the season- the offense has to step up out of the gate to give the d time to get its legs -

if the team looks like it did against nova last year- i would change hc that monday

dam the torpedoes -full speed ahead

1 season in the last 15 isnt going to cut it any longer= show the program is moving forward or roll the dice with a change

hcss put himself in this position with the way he built his staff- cant give the guy 3 tries at finding a div1 oc from his little black book-

I am of the mindset SU announce a 2 year extension with Scott Shafer. No need for the financials to leak since we are a private school. Then, have that extension with really low new guarantee money and tell SS if he wins he will get the long term extension but the buyout stays low and if he doesn't succeed SU can move on.

This is fair to all parties.

Doesn't Shafer have three more years left on his contract?

What is the panic decision regarding football? If our recruiting is being hurt by SS being in a state of flux that has to be corrected one way or the other.

Is recruiting being hurt?

Seems to me like we're landing high quality prospects [and guys like Washington / Culpepper with offer lists that we haven't landed since the 90s].

Seems to me like we're landing high quality prospects [and guys like Washington / Culpepper with offer lists that we haven't landed since the 90s].

There's talk of negative recruiting using the new AD and 3-9. Strikes true, but no proof either. I think this year is more important than the 1st two - no doubt about that. And only slightly less important is Lester and the offense.

On the FB recruiting board the scuttlebutt is that the coaching staff's lack of a long term contract hurt us with several recent commits we didn't get. Washington/Culpepper have been the exceptions to the rule and hopefully we win more of these type battles.

Doesn't Shafer have three more years left on his contract?
It is my understanding SS signed a 5 year contract in January 2013, but you always have to have atleast 2 years on the contract to be able to recruit.

It is my understanding SS signed a 5 year contract in January 2013, but you always have to have atleast 2 years on the contract to be able to recruit.

Does an extension really matter though? I mean, people are pretty savvy about that sort of thing. If someone is concerned about SS's long term situation at SU, would the proverbial "vote of confidence" via an extension really do anything? Especially since as a private school we don't announce the terms of our contracts anyway.

Does an extension really matter though? I mean, people are pretty savvy about that sort of thing. If someone is concerned about SS's long term situation at SU, would the proverbial "vote of confidence" via an extension really do anything? Especially since as a private school we don't announce the terms of our contracts anyway.
I personally think you are what your record says you are. On the FB recruiting board when we missed out on some players recently have inferred SS's lack of stability is a problem. This program needs talent and if recruiting needs a phony extension give it. That is my overall point. Last October I made my position known, but it doesn't mean I don't support the program and want to see the staff do well.

Eh, that momentum has cooled a bit. Those 2 guys are the only ones that sort of stand out so far out of the 11 verbals. We're on pace for another ranking in the 50s.

people all worried about recruiting after a coach gets fired are nuts.

if a coach gets fired, it likely means he had a shlitty season. likely because he recruits like shlit.

so if we lose people because SS gets fired, so be it. marrone ran off half the team and put the Orange in a Bowl in years 2 & 4 and likely is the reason why SS got there in his year 1.

not to mention that if SS goes, i think the buzz surrounding the new coach will be off the charts. any kid worth their salt wouldnt want to leave.

i have a feeling the next guy is coming with an impressive head coach pedigree or is going to be millhouse's wet dream. in other words, an offensive wack-job-genius who announces in his opening presser that he will not even bother to recruit a punter because we wont be needing one.

Last edited:
I personally think you are what your record says you are. On the FB recruiting board when we missed out on some players recently have inferred SS's lack of stability is a problem. This program needs talent and if recruiting needs a phony extension give it. That is my overall point. Last October I made my position known, but it doesn't mean I don't support the program and want to see the staff do well.

Fair enough. Given the budget constraints of SU I'm never interested committing money to someone just for the hell of it. So I vote no on an extension.

If we are only going to end up with a class in the top 50 and not higher then SS should have to win 6 games. I had hoped we could have mid 30's type of recruiting class.

Alsacs said:
If we are only going to end up with a class in the top 50 and not higher then SS should have to win 6 games. I had hoped we could have mid 30's type of recruiting class.

It will rise a bit once these get rated properly. It's also not over yet.

Where the hell would anyone expect us to be ranked after a 3-9 season? Tier 1? Yeah, that's realistic.

Does any person in this fanbase really think there is a single Syracuse fan that is happy with how last year turned out?

Last edited:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...acc-power-rankings-2015-florida-state-clemson

We are in tier 4 with Wake Forest. This is why patience can't be expected by our fanbase. We are in year 3 of the Scott Shafer Era. Either give him extension now and say he is the HC of the foreseeable future or this is a make it or break it season. There can be no other mindset. Our FB brand is pathetic right now and I don't care about the schedule as we all know it has been tough hard in the OOC games. Our 2 year ranking in the SS has been 60th in the nation and our 5 year ranking is 68th in the nation.

If you think SS is the guy Syracuse then give the man an extension and the fanbase will unite, but this hedging BS is killing us on the recruiting trail and keeps the freaking fanbase divided between the kool aid drinkers and people who want change.
You mean there wasn't a tier 4 and a tier 4a?*

* Wake Forest is 0-2 against Scott Shafer's Syracuse teams and has scored a total of 7 points in those 2 games.

javadoc said:
You mean there wasn't a tier 4 and a tier 4a?* * Wake Forest is 0-2 against Scott Shafer's Syracuse teams and has scored a total of 7 points in those 2 games.

Of the insane things people say in the preseason - the idea that ESPN keeps saying WF is on the rise is beyond laughable.

Eh, that momentum has cooled a bit. Those 2 guys are the only ones that sort of stand out so far out of the 11 verbals. We're on pace for another ranking in the 50s.

Riiiiiiiiight.

This early round of recruiting is essentially done. Next phase is late Fall. An extension for SS now is a lot less significant than proving something on the field. Win some games -- be relevant in November -- recruiting and an extension will follow.

I have always maintained that it will take patience and, above all, stability to bring a foundering program back from the abyss. Patience to find the right coach and give him the time needed. Stability so that recruits can feel comfortable knowing that the guys recruiting him will be around for a while.

I have always maintained that it will take patience and, above all, stability to bring a foundering program back from the abyss. Patience to find the right coach and give him the time needed. Stability so that recruits can feel comfortable knowing that the guys recruiting him will be around for a while.
Yes - if the coach has a winning personality and character and there is progress with the program. Bottom line, though, the coach needs to win a share of rivalry games in November. Can't go 0 for November two years in a row. I am not setting a high standard. Patience has limits.