Schedule a different take | Syracusefan.com

Schedule a different take

goodroc

Starter
Apparently the trend now is to talk unbalanced schedules and claiming We have the easiest schedule in league due to playing the top of league at home and the 3 teams that we play 2x.

1. If you look at the 3 teams we play 2x -- with BC and PITT being 2 out of the 3 teams i would say that this does make this aspect of our schedule a little softer than some of the other ACC teams.
2. We do play UL 2x which I would say is the 3rd best team in conference and unless you play UNC 2x - or UVA dont think you can play a more difficult team 2x.

The real debate in my opinion is the fact that our schedule is heavily weighted with the stronger teams at home. I believe strong case can be made that you actually would rather have the top 3 or 4 teams on the road and the lower half of the league at home. The thinking is that all road games are extremely difficult so why not lose to the UNC's of the world on road rather than at home.

With the way our schedule works out a large majority of our home games are difficult and like i mentioned all road games are tough. As it turned out we actually beat FSU and UVA at home however this is hindsight.

If conference record was the measuring stick i would rather play FSU UVA UNC on road and say Clemson, Miami, Wake at home . In this mini 6 game example which example do you think a team would have a better record? vs if it was flipped.

i would say playing clemson , miami and wake at home we have better chance of being 3 and 3 then we would if situation was reveresed.

Does anyone see my point?

Last edited:
Well if we played all the best teams on the road, I can guarantee that we wouldn't be in a position to make the tourney right now. So I will take our home loaded schedule any day of the week. We still have a tough *** schedule. Don't let blowhard Doug Gottlieb make you think otherwise.

Apparently the trend now is to talk unbalanced schedules and claiming We have the easiest schedule in league due to playing the top of league at home and the 3 teams that we play 2x.

1. If you look at the 3 teams we play 2x -- with BC and PITT being 2 out of the 3 teams i would say that this does make this aspect of our schedule a little softer than some of the other ACC teams.
2. We do play UL 2x which I would say is the 3rd best team in conference and unless you play UNC 2x - or UVA dont think you can play a more difficult team 2x.

The real debate in my opinion is the fact that our schedule is heavily weighted with the stronger teams at home. I believe strong case can be made that you actually would rather have the top 3 or 4 teams on the road and the lower half of the league at home. The thinking is that all road games are extremely difficult so why not lose to the UNC's of the world on road rather than at home.

With the way our schedule works out a large majority of our home games are difficult and like i mentioned all road games are tough. As it turned out we actually beat FSU and UVA at home however this is hindsight.

If conference record was the measuring stick i would rather play FSU UVA UNC on road and say Clemson, Miami, Wake on Road . In this mini 6 game example which example do you think a team would have a better record? if it was flipped.

i would say playing clemson , miami and wake at home we have better chance of being 3 and 3 then we would if situation was reveresed.

Does anyone see my point?

RPI was invented to eliminate personal bias and politics:

Rating Percentage Index - Wikipedia

Ours is currently 65: NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings (updated today)

Pretty good considering we have 9 losses.

Also, we are 47 on Massey: College Basketball Ranking Composite

Massey algorithm takes into account a large number of variables and complexity: Massey Ratings Description

your point is valid if you are conceding all three road games as losses, which I don't subscribe to. Road-Neutral record is very important for the tourney, as are wins against highly-ranked opponents. In your scenario, I would rather have two of the top teams play us at home and two of the easier opponent games on the road. It gives you two good chances at wins against top teams and two good chances at road wins.

In the end, it shouldn't matter, because if you are tournament-worthy, you will get some wins in all of the categories the committee values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom