Scholarship Situation Next Year | Syracusefan.com

Scholarship Situation Next Year

44doubledees

Scout Team
If we pick up Thompson next year and both Coleman and Kaleb leave, are we able to petition the NCAA to allow us to count the unused schollies against the sanctions next year similar to what they allowed us to do this year? Or do we need to spread them out as they tell us to. I think it is a real possibility that we may only have 9 or 10 next year even with Taurean Thompson. Doesn't seem that we are pursuing anyone else that heavily. If that happened we could only have 1 or 2 stripped schollies beyond 16-17.

If we pick up Thompson next year and both Coleman and Kaleb leave, are we able to petition the NCAA to allow us to count the unused schollies against the sanctions next year similar to what they allowed us to do this year? Or do we need to spread them out as they tell us to. I think it is a real possibility that we may only have 9 or 10 next year even with Taurean Thompson. Doesn't seem that we are pursuing anyone else that heavily. If that happened we could only have 1 or 2 stripped schollies beyond 16-17.

Where is Coleman going?

I fully expect at least 1 more opening beyond hopefully landing Thompson

if there are no more quality recruits to get/flip, would like to see 5th yr trannies in a backup real PG and/or a SF who can hit from the wing

I think Chino leaving is more likely, but I'm also interested in whether or not the NCAA would allow us to continue to front-load the scholly reductions. It seems silly to me that they would mandate in which years the scholarship reductions have to be taken. That would be like fining somebody $1,000 and only accepting installments of $100 instead of $750 up front and the rest when it's available.

there are professional leagues all over the world that aren't the NBA, but pay well enough. If he is close to or about to graduate, given the severity of his knee situation (lucky to be playing), he might decide to get paid for playing while he still can
Agree with the above, in my mind he is about 50/50 to stay, didn't want the reignite the who is leaving debate but if it happens with someone what are our options with regards to fast tracking the scholarship sanctions.

I think Chino leaving is more likely, but I'm also interested in whether or not the NCAA would allow us to continue to front-load the scholly reductions. It seems silly to me that they would mandate in which years the scholarship reductions have to be taken. That would be like fining somebody $1,000 and only accepting installments of $100 instead of $750 up front and the rest when it's available.

They mandated a 4 year penalty.

I agree with this.

if the NCAAholes didn't dick Chino out of a year I could easily see him going. now, not so much.

there are professional leagues all over the world that aren't the NBA, but pay well enough. If he is close to or about to graduate, given the severity of his knee situation (lucky to be playing), he might decide to get paid for playing while he still can

You are totally assuming with no evidence?

Agree with the above, in my mind he is about 50/50 to stay, didn't want the reignite the who is leaving debate but if it happens with someone what are our options with regards to fast tracking the scholarship sanctions.

how are you 50/50? based on what? that he didnt live up to recruiting hype?

Coleman's development was pushed back because of his surgery , give him time . Kaleb can still become a great PG , he will make a leap forward soon. 4th year point guards are what you need to win championships.

Coleman's development was pushed back because of his surgery , give him time . Kaleb can still become a great PG , he will make a leap forward soon. 4th year point guards are what you need to win championships.

Kaleb becoming a great point guard? I hope he takes that leap forward...that may place him in the adequate category.

Outside of Nappier and Peyton Siva what 4 year point guards do this? Seems like a lot of freshman have been leading the way in recent years.

What 4 year PG led us to our championship?

Outside of Nappier and Peyton Siva what 4 year point guards do this? Seems like a lot of freshman have been leading the way in recent years.

I still believe in the kid , if that's permitted around here. Some talent is greener that others.

Lazarus Sims came pretty damn close.

As to topic of DC and professional ball; I just don't see it yet. Right now he is barely adequate here playing 20 mpg of college ball. Are they paying guys to play high level pick up ball overseas? Maybe he can catch on with Boeheim's Army, but I don't think that pays that well. Ultimately, I think he comes back because if he doesn't develop further it looks to me like its time to select and start a career that doesn't involve playing basketball. That is not to say that if he is graduating he may decide that he has had enough and is ready to move on.

Last edited:
I still believe in the kid , if that's permitted around here. Some talent is greener that others.

I believe in Kaleb too, I think he's shown some flashes and if he can get it all together he could be very very good. All that said, you don't need a 4 year guard to win it all. We have 10 years of experience in our back court and we're probably not going to win it all.

Wasn't almost everybody a 4 year player back then? That was 20 years ago, things have changed a little since then.

He was a guy that didn't get on the court until this senior season, so very similar in that it took him multiple years to become serviceable enough to be given the reigns, or even get much playing time.

I believe in Kaleb too, I think he's shown some flashes and if he can get it all together he could be very very good. All that said, you don't need a 4 year guard to win it all. We have 10 years of experience in our back court and we're probably not going to win it all.
Neither of them are PG's. KJ is just a bright eyed kid , but so was Rak and many other players who become great in their senior year.

Sure you can believe in Kaleb, but there are zero encouraging signs. I don't think there is a single player that in the last 15 seasons at Syracuse who has played as few minutes (and as poorly) as Kaleb has and went on to being even servicable, let alone "great". He would be an anomaly. Mookie Jones played more minutes as a Sophomore than Kaleb has. PER isn't everything, but Kaleb's conference PER is -20.3 Minus 20.3.

ETA: I read through the stats too quickly, his PER for all games, which is more indicative, is 5.4.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom