Scholarship Situation Next Year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scholarship Situation Next Year

Neither of them are PG's. KJ is just a bright eyed kid , but so was Rak and many other players who become great in their senior year.
100% of the SU players who played "great" in their senior year played more minutes and better as underclassmen than Kaleb has. Laz Sims played more minutes as a sophomore than Kaleb has and he was behind Autry and Moten.

Last edited:
Outside of Nappier and Peyton Siva what 4 year point guards do this? Seems like a lot of freshman have been leading the way in recent years.

What 4 year PG led us to our championship?

interestingly, most were jrs: kemba, ty lawson, nolan smith, chalmers so almost all were upperclassmen.

I think you could also make a case for Cook to be conisdered last year.

100% of the SU players who played "great" in their senior year played more minutes and better as underclassmen than Kaleb has. Laz Sims played more minutes as a sophomore than Kaleb has and he was behind Autry and Moten.

However, Kaleb played about the same minutes in his frosh year than Laz played in his 1st 3 combined.

(i cant find how many minutes LAZ played frosh year - but kaleb played 847 his frosh year and Laz went n/a in 20 games and only 26 fga, 251, 441)

However, Kaleb played about the same minutes in his frosh year than Laz played in his 1st 3 combined.

(i cant find how many minutes LAZ played frosh year - but kaleb played 847 his frosh year and Laz went n/a in 20 games and only 26 fga, 251, 441)

http://www.orangehoops.org/lsims.htm has a good breakdown of minutes.

And JAB said that if Howard was on the team last year he would have started over Kaleb. They were expecting more from Kaleb and he didn't show it. I would really like to know the nitty gritty details between Ennis and the SU staff regarding his NBA potential. I find it odd that Syracuse recruited/landed the 4th or 9th ranked PG (depending on where you look) in the class to sit behind a Soph Ennis and then claimed that they had no idea Ennis was going to go pro. I guess that's possible. They landed Moyer who is similarly ranked to sit behind a senior Roberson. The PG situation just seemed a little odd to me.

http://www.orangehoops.org/lsims.htm has a good breakdown of minutes.

And JAB said that if Howard was on the team last year he would have started over Kaleb. They were expecting more from Kaleb and he didn't show it. I would really like to know the nitty gritty details between Ennis and the SU staff regarding his NBA potential. I find it odd that Syracuse recruited/landed the 4th or 9th ranked PG (depending on where you look) in the class to sit behind a Soph Ennis and then claimed that they had no idea Ennis was going to go pro. I guess that's possible. They landed Moyer who is similarly ranked to sit behind a senior Roberson. The PG situation just seemed a little odd to me.

But it doesnt have Laz's frosh minutes. Thats where i got his soph and jr minutes.

Z played about 250 minutes as a soph, 0 as a freshman, plus I believe he redshirted.
Kaleb should ask to red shirt next year. If JB says no, he should leave.

I find the Kaleb Joseph situation to be really strange. Went from a guy that started 30 of 31 games and averaged more than 27 minutes per game to a guy who JB doesn't trust to even get into most games. He wasn't great last year, but was he so bad that he doesn't warrant 5-10 minutes per game this season? How does that happen?

People here suggested before the season started that KJ was going to lose his job. It's unusual to take his starting position without even having the competition of pre season practice. Did he do something last year or over the summer that so pissed JB off that he just gave up on him? Because that is kind of how it seems. Obviously he doesn't do anything in his limited run to warrant more time, but it seems like there was a total loss of confidence mixed in there because he isn't even playing at the ability level that he showed last season.

So no one so far has answered the OP question. I do not think they will allow us to adjust when we take the scholarship reductions. This was recently allowed due to the NCAA's rapid (dripping with sarcasm) response to our appeal to the severity of the sanctions. When they decided to reduce the number of scholarships for the penalty it was too late for us to do anything this year. Chancellor S. wrote a letter asking if they could clarify what our situation now is given that the penalty was technically delayed by our appeal. Not wanting to sound like the total jerks that they are, the NCAA responded kind of quickly to this letter and said that the reduction could start this current season, and that since we had the one scholarship reinstated after it was too late to do anything about it, we could take that one off of the last year. They seemed to be pretty specific as to how the schedule would work going forward. They did not give us a choice as to which year we could have the one returned scholarship back, so I don't think there is any flexibility with this going forward. If a player decides not to come back we better have a plan "B" in our back pocket. I don't really think the NCAA is going to "work" with us in that situation.

I fully expect at least 1 more opening beyond hopefully landing Thompson

if there are no more quality recruits to get/flip, would like to see 5th yr trannies in a backup real PG and/or a SF who can hit from the wing
This question may be "out of bounds" but when looking for transfer is there any chance of Diagne coming here after this year in Jr College? I never completely understood his options once he was not allowed to participate at Syracuse. Is/was that correctable in this off year? Since he is seldom mentioned here, assume that book is closed?

NorSyr66 said:
This question may be "out of bounds" but when looking for transfer is there any chance of Diagne coming here after this year in Jr College? I never completely understood his options once he was not allowed to participate at Syracuse. Is/was that correctable in this off year? Since he is seldom mentioned here, assume that book is closed?

He has to play two years of Juco before going anywhere.

This isn't fully addressing the OPs question, but I think there are too many unknowns right now to make an informed guess. A lot depends on attrition, and who gets added if anyone.
  • Do we land Thompson or not?
  • Do the coaches go after that Canadian big if we miss out on Taurean or stand pat?
  • Do we have any transfers [KJ and Chino seem the most likely candidates, but that isn't a given]
  • Does Coleman return or seek to play for pay overseas? Might seem far-fetched, but if Kristof Onganet can play for pay, then Coleman could probably find a paycheck somewhere too.
Without knowing any of the four things above, it is tough to project the roster beyond the recruits we have coming in and the players we have graduating. Would love to see us go after a 1 or 3 5th year transfer if there's one out there who could help us; lots of schools have used this option to bolster their squads, and we could too. But again, we need to be down 2 scholarships next year to fulfill the terms of our NCAA sanction, so we're limited by that--no matter how anything else works out.

Last edited:
This isn't fully addressing the OPs question, but I think there are too many unknowns right now to make an informed guess. A lot depends on attrition, and who gets added if anyone.
  • Do the coaches go after that Canadian big if we miss out on Taurean?
  • Do we have any transfers [KJ and Chino seem the most likely candidates, but that isn't a given]
  • Does Coleman return or seek to play for pay overseas? Might seem far-fetched, but if Kristof Onganet can play for pay, then Coleman could probably find a paycheck somewhere too.
Without knowing any of the four things above, it is tough to project the roster beyond the recruits we have coming in and the players we have graduating. Would love to see us go after a 1 or 3 5th year transfer if there's one out there who could help us; lots of schools have used this option to bolster their squads, and we could too. But again, we need to be down 2 scholarships next year to fulfill the terms of our NCAA sanction, so we're limited by that--no matter how anything else works out.

To answer the OP's question, I'm pretty sure we've seen all the largesse from the NCAA that we're going to see.

We had a 12 scholarship penalty reduced to 8 over 4 years. And we're allowed to count 3 penalty scholarships this season.

We are allowed 11 for next year, by my understanding.

Freshmen: Battle, Moyer
Sophomores: Lydon, Richardson, Howard, Chukwu
Juniors: Joseph
Seniors: Roberson, Coleman, Obokoh

One more allowed (could be Thompson) without anyone leaving.

Positional breakdown:

Guards: Battle, Richardson, Howard, Joseph
Forwards: Lydon, Roberson, Moyer (Richardson)
Center: Chukwu, Coleman, Obokoh

Seems like we are a little heavy on the center position (although Obokoh, for all intents and purposes, won't play even though I don't see a reason why he can't get spot minutes if there's foul trouble, even this year). If Joseph improved to the point of being able to play (which I'm not sure can happen), we'd be fine and actually have a decent rotation without any additions, in my opinion.

• Do the coaches go after that Canadian big if we miss out on Taurean or stand pat?
I have no doubt Coleman could find work overseas. Probably not a huge contract, but 6'9" guy with good strength can probably land himself high 5 or low 6 figures.

We could have a deep team next year in my opinion barring everyone comes back.

2016-2017

PG:
Battle, Howard, Joseph
SG: Richardson
SF: Lydon, Moyer
PF: Roberson, Thompson
C: Chukwu, Coleman, Obokoh

That's 11 scholarships--am I over our proposed "limit?"

We lose (Coleman, Obokoh, Roberson to graduation AND Richardson to NBA)--So that'll leave four openings.

2017-2018

PG:
Battle, Joseph
SG: Howard, (Another recruit)
SF: Lydon, Moyer
PF: Thompson
C: Chukwu

We lose (Battle, Joseph).

Obviously my numbers can be off for 2017-2018 since it's a harder picture to look at. But I do like the '16-'17 team.

I have no doubt Coleman could find work overseas. Probably not a huge contract, but 6'9" guy with good strength can probably land himself high 5 or low 6 figures.

Which is pretty insane actually. And much more money than most people make... :( haha

Which is pretty insane actually. And much more money than most people make... :( haha
Yeppers...He's got a unique skill. Short career though, so I hope he does get his degree. Last I heard, he's on track.

there are professional leagues all over the world that aren't the NBA, but pay well enough. If he is close to or about to graduate, given the severity of his knee situation (lucky to be playing), he might decide to get paid for playing while he still can

The league he finds will likely not pay very well.

Not low level leagues. Right now he is not playing in anything close to a premier international league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom