Scott Frost thread... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Scott Frost thread...

The concern is that SU would be Frost's stepping stone job.

Don't want that.

Who cares. If he does well enough to get hired away, that means he's done well enough that he gets hired away. It's the AD's job to make sure he gets the next hire right.

Look as Cinci, look at Pitt. Instability is bad if it's because you keep firing people. If it's because they have become HC's in the NFL or ND or the SEC, not so much, just don't screw up the next hire.

jekelish said:
Oh, and regarding the recruiting point: if a move is made, I've also been told that a couple current coaches might potentially be retained, so that would help salvage northeast recruiting and the current recruiting class, if they do in fact stick around.

Frost + Acosta + Daust = a good start.

Not sure what happens to Eric White. I like his style though. Would have no problem if he's kept.

No,you need someone who can recruit the NORTHEAST. Not a position coach

You've been told what? Was that when you were in the room with Coyle and Frost? That's great news! I'm all in!

Guess what? G-Rob, for all his failings, brought in Averin Collier, Marcus Sales, Doug Hogue who were probably higher ranked than any NY players we've brought in since.

Not sure what happens to Eric White. I like his style though. Would have no problem if he's kept.
Hope he keep at least Acosta and Daoust. I think Lea is also a pretty good coach. I would also be happy to retain Eric White. Would hate to see him end up at NC State with you-know-who.

Who cares. If he does well enough to get hired away, that means he's done well enough that he gets hired away. It's the AD's job to make sure he gets the next hire right.

Look as Cinci, look at Pitt. Instability is bad if it's because you keep firing people. If it's because they have become HC's in the NFL or ND or the SEC, not so much, just don't screw up the next hire.

I guess I think of our Program as more than a stepping stone program.

I view our Program as one of the great college football traditions that is worthy and deserving of a legacy coach.

I thought we had one in Marrone and I was wrong.

But, that's what I want. I don't want a new coach every two or three years. I don't want that kind of instability or uncertainty.

Maybe the reality is that we are a stepping stone program. Maybe we'll have to rotate head coaches.

With our tradition, our ACC affiliation, and our improved infrastructure, I hope that doesn't happen - I hope we don't settle for that paradigm.

And, I hope we find a coach who wants the job for the next 10-15 years.

Hope he keep at least Acosta and Daoust. I think Lea is also a pretty good coach. I would also be happy to retain Eric White. Would hate to see him end up at NC State with you-know-who.
Acosta has to be a must keep for recruiting and seems to mess really well with the players. Daoust would be gone if Shafer gets a DC job quickly if he is fired. Just a feeling, but Eric White could have bolted with he that shall not be named last year.

I view our Program as one of the great college football traditions that is worthy and deserving of a legacy coach.

But, that's what I want. I don't want a new coach every two or three years. I don't want that kind of instability or uncertainty.

Maybe the reality is that we are a stepping stone program. Maybe we'll have to rotate head coaches.

With our tradition, our ACC affiliation, and our improved infrastructure, I hope that doesn't happen - I hope we don't settle for that paradigm.

We're a stepping stone program "right now".

Start competing with Clemson and FSU regularly for ACC Championships and we become a destination school. We'd have to pay $$$ but if we're taking in money via football success I'd hope we'd be willing to do so.

We have a Dome. No reason we can't become a fast track offense team that becomes unique to the ACC. Our road games are mostly down south so it's not like we're playing snow games aside from Pitt and BC.

I think we've been massively spoiled with JB, the lax program, and frankly a guy like PP who was not a climber. Shafer - this is the best job he's ever going to have, had he gotten to 7 wins plus a season he probably stays for as long as he can.

If someone leaves here to take a 5 million a year NFL or SEC type gig so be it, we'll never pay that.

Msu and wisc have lost coaches to other powers. People gotta stop worrying about this stuff. Boeheim is great and unusual. That's where this weird desire for a lifetime comes from I think

Different world. Marrone would have been gone after last year if he'd been okay with management.

Msu and wisc have lost coaches to other powers. People gotta stop worrying about this stuff. Boeheim is great and unusual. That's where this weird desire for a lifetime comes from I think

JAB, RS and JD have people calibrated a certain way. I think that's optimal, but it's also 20th century thinking.

I never thought Marrone was a lifer.

Does anyone know what jobs P was offered after his first two 10 win seasons? Like it was said above, Syracuse is a spoiled fan base due to boeheim and Paul back in the 90s. Not only did we ever get public ally leveraged w other jobs they were great ambassadors for Syracuse.

Acosta has to be a must keep for recruiting and seems to mess really well with the players. Daoust would be gone if Shafer gets a DC job quickly if he is fired. Just a feeling, but Eric White could have bolted with he that shall not be named last year.

If Daoust is given the DC job why would he go with Shafer to be a position coach.

D'Antonio has been at Michigan State for nine years.

And that has helped the Spartans move beyond what they were for so many years - a Big Ten after thought.

I bet Wisconsin fans do not feel that the recent turnover - within the context of the enduring Barry Alvarez administration - has been a positive for the program.

It may not be possible given the size of our program and given today's coaching environment, but an effort should be made in my judgment to bring in somebody who wants to stay here.

I find it difficult to believe that Frost would view Syracuse in the same way that say a Matt Patricia would view Syracuse.

Does anyone know what jobs P was offered after his first two 10 win seasons? Like it was said above, Syracuse is a spoiled fan base due to boeheim and Paul back in the 90s. Not only did we ever get public ally leveraged w other jobs they were great ambassadors for Syracuse.

Supposedly ND.

First of all, D'antonio has been excellent at MSU (as has Narduzzi at Pitt in year one). Why do you assume Patricia would be any different than Marrone?
D'Antonio has been at Michigan State for nine years.
I find it difficult to believe that Frost would view Syracuse in the same way that say a Matt Patricia would view Syracuse.

No,you need someone who can recruit the NORTHEAST. Not a position coach
There aren't enough recruits in the northeast for this to be a deal-breaker. Find a guy who has connections to powerhouse schools on the east coast where our conference foes are located and we'll be fine.

This all makes sense to me.

OrangePA said:
I guess I think of our Program as more than a stepping stone program. I view our Program as one of the great college football traditions that is worthy and deserving of a legacy coach. I thought we had one in Marrone and I was wrong. But, that's what I want. I don't want a new coach every two or three years. I don't want that kind of instability or uncertainty. Maybe the reality is that we are a stepping stone program. Maybe we'll have to rotate head coaches. With our tradition, our ACC affiliation, and our improved infrastructure, I hope that doesn't happen - I hope we don't settle for that paradigm. And, I hope we find a coach who wants the job for the next 10-15 years.

I actually think we can be a program that isn't a stepping stone program.

- new dome (unique advantage)
- winnable P5 conference compared to SEC
- IPF
- maybe a great, supportive AD (I'm hopeful)

But we might get caught and need to do what Memphis and Houston have done - pay = value

I bet Wisconsin fans do not feel that the recent turnover - within the context of the enduring Barry Alvarez administration - has been a positive for the program.

I don't think Wisconsin is all that broken up. They are 8-3, could easily win 10. Since Alvarez left after the 2005 season, they had one season where they "only" won 7, and another season where they "only" won 8. Every other year was 9 or more. Poor ba$tards.

Frost would obviously leave us in a heartbeat if Nebraska came calling.

If Patricia was as good as Marrone, why wouldn't he jump to the NFL like Marrone?

I just don't know if the long term guy is out there. I mean, if Marrone wasn't...

I wonder if Coyle was talking to Ed O already about becoming AHC DC and RC. Most people thought it was about head coach position but wonder if it was about joining Frost.

Frost
Ed O
Acosta
White

Good start

I wonder if Coyle was talking to Ed O already about becoming AHC DC and RC. Most people thought it was about head coach position but wonder if it was about joining Frost.

Frost
Ed O
Acosta
White

Good start
Nobody hires a HC's staff but the HC.

Crusty said:
Nobody hires a HC's staff but the HC.

Agreed. If staff members are retained, it's because the next coach wants some continuity...which might be of significant value to a first time head coach not from the region. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom