Scott Frost thread... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scott Frost thread...

Dungey wasn't playing because he was out there in a 31 point blowout under 5 to go a couple of weeks prior.

Who made that decision?

Correction: Dungey wasn't playing because he was out there in a 31-point blowout under 5 to go a couple weeks prior that our current head coach thought we could come back in.

Calling a really fun and exciting half right now. Would be nice to bring that offense to the dome.

Can he bring his players with him!!??

Frost is near the top of the list. Just read what coaches he's worked with and then tell me he shouldn't be considered. We WILL NOT get a current Big 5 coach to come here. Our next coach will have some kindof connection to Coyle and Frost has that.

The concern is that SU would be Frost's stepping stone job.

Don't want that.

So you liked the Greg Robinson hire
So dumb. Just hire an assistant with these so-called ties, if you must believe this an absolute. Either a staff can recruit or they can't.

Frost

-Runs high powered offense
-Has experience working on the defensive side of the ball
-Has pulled a couple recruits out of Florida (think someone said Plant HS which is big)
-Has played and worked under a number of very successful coaches
-Has interviewed with Coyle for the Boise State job. Some people suggest Frost is already on Coyles short list

Concerns
-No head coaching experience -This is the only major knock on him and I don't have a good argument against him.

-Recruiting in our areas - He has pulled people out of Florida which is a plus. I think that once we install the high powered Oregon system that the northeast recruits will take notice. If the system becomes successful the northeast recruits will come just like they did to Oregon. Plus he might be able to retain a certain coach that kills the New Jersey area.

-Using us as a stepping stone - So what? That means we would have had a 3-4 year run of great football and a massive program turn around. I would welcome that.

- Don't have players to run his system will they ever come? - I would argue that we do have some nice building blocks to start that system. Dungey (if healthy) seems perfect for that type of offense. Athlete, can extend plays, throw on the run and great timing on his throws. Frederick explosive one cut runner perfect for that system. Ish big tall WR that has shown can make tough catches and block down field. Estime and Erv seem to be explosive type slot WR that are great in space and have the ability to make people miss. I think we have a jump start on that type of system.

Yeah maybe babers can bring his slow bearded qb with a beer gut that is so talented... Talent talent talent. Coaching is most important at Syracuse more than anything, we will never have elite talent.

Bunch of eeyores

We will never be good what's the point might as well stay with Shafer and lester

Wah wuhhh trombone noise

If we're going to hire a coach without HC experience, I'd rather it be Lincoln Riley.

He's my second choice behind Babers.

I would love it if a coach used SU as a stepping stone job because it would mean they did something with the program. Marrone got a NFL gig out of it, good on him. Syracuse messed up by not doing a coaching search and settling on Shafer.
Exactly! And EVERY coach will use SU as a stepping stone job. When you pay as little as SU does, when SU is a basketball school first and a football school second, when we aren't a football power and never will be...hell we had an SU alum use us as a stepping school job. There isn't a coach in America who is gonna come here, have success and then stay I want to stay here forever. No, they see it as a place where if they can turn it around then maybe they can get an SEC, Big 10 or an NFL job out of it!

And there is nothing wrong with being a stepping school type of job. If a coach can come in and fix this program and he then leaves, tip your cap to him and be happy. Wish him the best. And then it will be easier to find his replacement because the program is in better shape than before he arrived. With Doug they messed up when he left and just promoted from within and didn't do a quality search. Live and learn and hopefully the NEW AD wouldn't do the same if in the same situation someday

The concern is that SU would be Frost's stepping stone job.

Don't want that.

Almost ANY HC job (other then the true powerhouse teams (ie..Bama and their like) is potentially a stepping stone position. No one can predict the future, what coach has NFL aspirations and who doesn't. Also if you look at the powerhouse teams they have a pretty good instate lock but also recruit nationally very well. If Syracuse does change coaches, what coach in their right mind doesn't make sure he gets the best Assistants the program can afford with recruiting ability in key states??? Some of the arguments on here about the Northeast ties make zero sense....

Almost ANY HC job (other then the true powerhouse teams (ie..Bama and their like) is potentially a stepping stone position. No one can predict the future, what coach has NFL aspirations and who doesn't. Also if you look at the powerhouse teams they have a pretty good instate lock but also recruit nationally very well. If Syracuse does change coaches, what coach in their right mind doesn't make sure he gets the best Assistants the program can afford with recruiting ability in key states??? Some of the arguments on here about the Northeast ties make zero sense...
Definitely agree that the recruiting ties is the most easily solved potential problem, because as you say, that can be taken care of with who gets hired for the rest of the staff.

Oh, and regarding the recruiting point: if a move is made, I've also been told that a couple current coaches might potentially be retained, so that would help salvage northeast recruiting and the current recruiting class, if they do in fact stick around.

Need someone who can recruit Florida and the south.

He can hire someone who can recruit the Northeast.

I'd consider keeping a few assistants.
No,you need someone who can recruit the NORTHEAST. Not a position coach
Oh, and regarding the recruiting point: if a move is made, I've also been told that a couple current coaches might potentially be retained, so that would help salvage northeast recruiting and the current recruiting class, if they do in fact stick around.
You've been told what? Was that when you were in the room with Coyle and Frost? That's great news! I'm all in!

If Frost is the guy, I can't help but think that he's coming into a great situation with his style offense. Dungey, Fredericks, Strickland, Neal*, Ishmael, Estime and Erv. Those are guys that can seriously thrive in that system.

He's the type of guy that could make playing in a Dome on offense an, oh, I don't know, recruiting advantage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom