Screaming difference to me: Dino and Fran | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Screaming difference to me: Dino and Fran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Couldn’t build an O line if his life depended on it. He wasn’t a good coach. Nor did he ever plan or want to be here after year three. I think he’s a decent man who ran a clean program which counts for a lot. But he didn’t ever believe he could win here and his actions and words backed it up. I think he talked a lot of bs with the movie quotes and such while his product on the field was never very good. He was gimmicky from the start.
Not having a decent o-line has been a huge problem under Dino. Right up there with decent WRs (albeit he was able to pull in a few decent transfers early on his tenure). While Devito wasn't exactly an elite QB, he could have put up some decent numbers if we had more o--line and WR talent.

Dino never opened up to the community and the fans. He didn't do recruiting event recaps (the old ones rubbed shoulders with the donors; sutomcat could probably outline the best ones that used to have film review of the recruits), DB hated the spring game, hated fan fest and phased it out or tried to. You can't disassociate from your 'customer base' the fan community and then expect them to show up and be all in. Then throw in all of his paranoia stuff.

Remains to be seen what HCFB does with fan and community engagement but he sure spoke enough about it to make me think he's going to have big changes in this regard. Came across to me as a guy who 'gets it' vs a guy who didn't.

Maybe this is the age and era difference btw the two. Babers struggled to adapt to the new era of recruiting, schmoozing and fan engagement. I initially thought he'd be great at it but then the layers got peeled off. HCFB understands this off field stuff coming from Georgia's recruiting machine and also being under a guy like Schiano who understood it back in 2004.

Syracuse is also a blue collar town. Brown is a blue collar guy and I don't think he's used to having a filter. But Syracuse is not a blue collar U, so it'll be interesting to watch how this meshes.

Last edited:
Dino is a very good coach with a very good record. Fran is almost 28 years younger this is his 1st gig as a HC. I am hopeful he does well. Dino like most older coaches (JB) did not adapt well to the changing environment. I think if Dino had some better luck on the injury front and sans Covid, it would be a different discussion as he certainly developed some great players, put a bunch of guys in the NFL and had some very nice wins. 8 years in the coaching world is a good run. I like Fran’s message and his ability to recruit coaches and players. My question for the AD would be, you said this is not a “rebuild“ so as a fan my expectation should be bowl game and up every year? Really don’t want to hear well we have a new system, new coaches, players, etc. If we retain our current crop and bring in some experienced talent to help, especially at QB it should be a fun start.

I am all about Fran right now.

That being said, devils advocate, is some of this not just another variant of "faith without evidence"?

What I mean is...if this team gets good, really good, the building will fill, fans will show, and NIL will roll in. Fran is asking fans to flip that order around. Again, not in any way being critical, I think it's an important message. But is it really that different at its core?
The message is mostly the same but it’s how it’s delivered that’s different. In the case with Dino the delivery was that of a victim - he can’t succeed here because he doesn’t have enough NIL to maintain his depth. With HCFB it’s a proactive delivery of the message. He’s saying that he’s all in, his staff will be all in and he needs the fans to be all in as well - this means supporting the program financially. They are both asking for money but it’s delivered differently. Sometimes good messages are lost in delivery.

Not to reopen this can of worms, but, I mean...c'mon? Based on what?
I’ll answer that, Check Dinos career , he earned his way up through the ranks step by step, he was obviously a good coach wherever he went , that’s why he kept moving up during a long career. He is the only coach since P to win 10 games, actually 9 as well. He is the only one to take down a top 5 team , actually #1 team. He lasted 8 years and with just a couple breaks in the BC game he is still hear after back to back 7-5 seasons. Great Coach …. nope, was JW justified in the removal , I think so, but Dino is a crappy coach , I don’t believe that at all. He is gone, but that’s not enough, a lot to f people feel the need to throw dirt on him.

People are nuts. We were 10-3, ranked, had our next prized QB ready to go. 10 win seasons are rarified air in these parts. It's what gets coaches extensions after 3 years.

No one saw 2019 coming, that's on Dino, not on Wildhack.

Yeah... he had his high watermark and then the wheels flew off.

Dino the last few years came off more like a combination used car salesman/inheritance baby than a football coach. I think he knew he was never going to get a 3rd extension and realized he has won in life.

Coach Brown - still proving and still chasing - much needed attitude here especially in the current college football environment.
And yet if Dino was to go 7-5 (won the BC game), he was going to be extended according to JW. Really liked former HCDB, but we dodged a bullet there and find ourselves in a very hopeful and exciting situation now.

I’ll answer that, Check Dinos career , he earned his way up through the ranks step by step, he was obviously a good coach wherever he went , that’s why he kept moving up during a long career. He is the only coach since P to win 10 games, actually 9 as well. He is the only one to take down a top 5 team , actually #1 team. He lasted 8 years and with just a couple breaks in the BC game he is still hear after back to back 7-5 seasons. Great Coach …. nope, was JW justified in the removal , I think so, but Dino is a crappy coach , I don’t believe that at all. He is gone, but that’s not enough, a lot to f people feel the need to throw dirt on him.

I think Dino would be a hell of a coach in the NFL where the GM builds the team

I'm all in... At first I didn't like the lack of HC or coordinator experience but he seems to have the Midas touch and brought in other guys that can recruit too.

I know for me personally, after 2018, I said pay the man.

As I exited Byrd Stadium in early September 2019 I started to think, what have we done.t ready to play
DeVito and the defense were not ready to play. DeVito stepping out of bounds 5 yards before the first down marker on 3rd down

Dino is a very good coach with a very good record. Fran is almost 28 years younger this is his 1st gig as a HC. I am hopeful he does well. Dino like most older coaches (JB) did not adapt well to the changing environment. I think if Dino had some better luck on the injury front and sans Covid, it would be a different discussion as he certainly developed some great players, put a bunch of guys in the NFL and had some very nice wins. 8 years in the coaching world is a good run. I like Fran’s message and his ability to recruit coaches and players. My question for the AD would be, you said this is not a “rebuild“ so as a fan my expectation should be bowl game and up every year? Really don’t want to hear well we have a new system, new coaches, players, etc. If we retain our current crop and bring in some experienced talent to help, especially at QB it should be a fun start.
Fran is actually about 22 years younger than Dino.

Fran is actually about 22 years younger than Dino.
yeah, after a bit just better to move forward with this stuff, Not going post stuff on Dino, it didn't work out and he's gone. Onward and upward. He's a good man let's not just run him down because he's not the coach anymore.

Nieve to think that Coach Fran not going to have to get through some tough times too, it's not easy.

The person who leaves their job, either by their choice or not, is always blamed for issues after they left. It’s human nature unfortunately.

I liked Dino and hoped and prayed for him (and Syracuse) to succeed. I bought into his vision after watching his intro. I did the same with Coach Shafer, Coach Marrone and GRob . It’s the curse of bleeding Orange.

That being said, I definitely want a front row seat on the Brown bus. Go Orange.

After the portal season last year there should have been regular messaging from Dino about the need for NIL, the importance of the fan base participation in it, etc.
Instead of that Dino's approach was zero dark 30 no access to the program.

I don't think Dino is a bad coach - he was successful prior to here, he had his moments here, but he plateaued. The Dino of year 1-3 was not the Dino of year 4-8, and that was glaringly obvious. I mean, we went from a guy doing the locker room hype video after the upset of VPI prior to the 10 win season that was the level of spirit in the program that we hadn't seen in quite some time, to a guy during a losing streak publicly complaining about NIL as one of the major reasons they were losing and not taking accountability. He wasn't the same guy on the backend. Just because it didn't work out for him here, it doesn't make him a bad coach - I just think he's better suited for the G5 and below level where the margins for error are wider or as a position group coach at the factory level where he's not making on field decisions or owning the program.

The interesting thing if you look at Dino's career arc, it's a consistent trend of getting promoted and bounced back. Position coach to Coordinator back to Position coach to AHC back to position coach to HC and now on to whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom