SEC Football Leaving CBS After 2023 | Syracusefan.com

SEC Football Leaving CBS After 2023

This is a huge blow to CBS sports. I mean it leaves CBS with only the SUN bowl...lol. 1 college game a year.

This is a huge blow to CBS sports. I mean it leaves CBS with only the SUN bowl...lol. 1 college game a year.

IMHO, the SEC is never going to get that $300 million they had a chance to get from CBS. Unless FOX goes crazy here, they just lost a lot of money. Major gamble by our Southern friends.

IMHO, the SEC is never going to get that $300 million they had a chance to get from CBS. Unless FOX goes crazy here, they just lost a lot of money. Major gamble by our Southern friends.

I agree especially because now the SEC needs ESPN/Fox more than the networks need them

It’s just a play. CBS needs SEC more than SEC needs them. If SEC walks away for real CBS has nothing. CBS will wake up a little and up their offer, I guarantee it. This is negotiating 101. SEC isn’t trying to really get 300 mill. They just want to get as much as they can and they’ll get a big deal from someone I’m sure.

They still have Army/Navy.

They are leaving CBS.
ESPN/Disney owns the SEC Network.
They want the tier 1 SEC rights so they can put them on ABC.
Right now Disney can’t put SEC home games on ABC it’s only ESPN family of networks.
CBS isn’t going to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to keep the SEC they will need that money for the NFL games.
CBS could go after the Big Ten rights when they expire as the Big Ten signed a short contract with Fox and ESPN when they just negotiated the last deal.
I bet Fox will retain what it got and I don’t think CBS will pay what it will take to get them either.
Best bet for CBS is to go after the PAC-12 but that conference isn’t worth much now.

It’s just a play. CBS needs SEC more than SEC needs them. If SEC walks away for real CBS has nothing. CBS will wake up a little and up their offer, I guarantee it. This is negotiating 101. SEC isn’t trying to really get 300 mill. They just want to get as much as they can and they’ll get a big deal from someone I’m sure.

The way I read it is that CBS offered $300M and the SEC turned it down as they wanted more. Interesting story to watch as a jump from 55 to 300 is huge.

”CBS decided to exit the negotiations for college football's most-watched TV package after making an aggressive bid in the neighborhood of $300 million per season -- a massive increase from the $55 million it currently pays annually.”

Holy crap, CBS offered nearly a 6X jump and the SEC said no? CBS knows how much revenue they generate off of these games. It doesn't make sense for them to keep them if they're not getting what they need.

Cue up the Internet Kook's...

I think Alsacs is on the right track. The Mouse will get the SEC. The B1G will cozy up to CBS (partially) after their contract expires.

The ACC better hope the ACCN can exceed projections

TV rights are a bubble. It will burst in the next 5-10 years.
That's why in the interim it is important to get the biggest bang possible

ACCN has ESPN right now. Need to have a strong start to be positioned well in future

TV rights are a bubble. It will burst in the next 5-10 years.
Football won’t pop. Good football especially. The SEC football gets ratings.
ESPN has to pay the SEC insane money for its current deal and they don’t even have their tier 1 rights. This deal is about Disney protecting their investment in the SECN and making sure it has the top games from the SEC in case in the future they want to move the games to Disney + Incase Amazon and Apple companies and their Online ventures get into sports broadcasting rights.

This looks like just the tv void independent storz st football has been waiting for!!!

Who needs auburn-alabama when u can have uconn-umass???!!!

That's why in the interim it is important to get the biggest bang possible

ACCN has ESPN right now. Need to have a strong start to be positioned well in future

That won’t happen with the ACCN still unavailable in a number of areas.

It available everywhere, it just matters whether one cares to get it or not.

This looks like just the tv void independent storz st football has been waiting for!!!

Who needs auburn-alabama when u can have uconn-umass???!!!
To further your point, maybe they can get historic rivals UConn and USF to renew the 'Civil Conflict", too. That might add another 50 cents to the deal.

Techincally, ACCN is available everywhere in the US through a number of streaming services like YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc. You can also get it with DirectTV and Dish anywhere in the US, provided you can put up a satellite dish.

If you live outside the ACC geographic footprint, you might have to pay more to get it. But the only major cable provider still out there that does not carry ACCN is Comcast.

Disney+ was just rolled out and already has over 10 million subscribers. It is a smash hit a lot of people want access to. Comcast isn’t carrying that either and is under heavy pressure to cave to Disney and provide access to this resource to their customers. It might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back and gets ACCN to all the Comcast refugees out there.

I hope so.

It available everywhere, it just matters whether one cares to get it or not.

It’s still not available on several cable outlets, including Comcast, which serves large areas. So that’s a big chunk of change the ACC isn’t getting right now. When you have to ask someone to go the extra mile to get the ACCN, that’s not doing much good for the ACC. It also means a lot of casual fans — and non SU fans, potential recruits — are not seeing our games.

It’s still not available on several cable outlets, including Comcast, which serves large areas. So that’s a big chunk of change the ACC isn’t getting right now. When you have to ask someone to go the extra mile to get the ACCN, that’s not doing much good for the ACC. It also means a lot of casual fans — and non SU fans, potential recruits — are not seeing our games.
See tomcats post.

And if it truely matters, people will get it.

If they’re a stupid lazy fluck, no on earth can help them anyways.

It’s available...and I’m not even asking people to get up off their couch, switch to UHF and adjust the rabbit ears for 20 minutes.

See tomcats post.

It’s available...and I’m not even asking people to get up off their couch, switch to UHF and adjust the rabbit ears for 20 minutes.

I went the extra mile. It wasn’t easy. I have a few friends, both SU alums and big fans, who don’t get the network and aren’t going to do the extra legwork to get it elsewhere. I know other people who ask me how SU is doing, and then add, “They’re rarely on TV anymore.”

See tomcats post.

Online networks are the future.
Disney knows their challenges for sports content aren’t Fox, CBS, NBC it’s Amazon, Netflix, CBS all-Access.
I believe Disney owns Hulu as well.

They know Amazon has the deepest pockets of any. Thus paying for the SEC is protecting themselves. The ACC needs it’s product to improve as if it does Disney will muscle ACCN onto more cable boxes. The problem right now is the football isn’t in the league of the SEC and college basketball as a whole is mattering less and less each year as the product is just not close to the NBA. College football isn’t pro football but the sport is much more popular.

I can see the SECN, and ACCN and all ESPN properties eventually becoming part of a Disney+ bundle

Online networks are the future.
Disney knows their challenges for sports content aren’t Fox, CBS, NBC it’s Amazon, Netflix, CBS all-Access.
I believe Disney owns Hulu as well.

They know Amazon has the deepest pockets of any. Thus paying for the SEC is protecting themselves. The ACC needs it’s product to improve as if it does Disney will muscle ACCN onto more cable boxes. The problem right now is the football isn’t in the league of the SEC and college basketball as a whole is mattering less and less each year as the product is just not close to the NBA. College football isn’t pro football but the sport is much more popular.

I can see the SECN, and ACCN and all ESPN properties eventually becoming part of a Disney+ bundle

The NBA ratings are terrible this year. We’ll see if that changes. I know I won’t help their numbers.