SEC Football Leaving CBS After 2023 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SEC Football Leaving CBS After 2023

Techincally, ACCN is available everywhere in the US through a number of streaming services like YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc. You can also get it with DirectTV and Dish anywhere in the US, provided you can put up a satellite dish.

If you live outside the ACC geographic footprint, you might have to pay more to get it. But the only major cable provider still out there that does not carry ACCN is Comcast.

Disney+ was just rolled out and already has over 10 million subscribers. It is a smash hit a lot of people want access to. Comcast isn’t carrying that either and is under heavy pressure to cave to Disney and provide access to this resource to their customers. It might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back and gets ACCN to all the Comcast refugees out there.

I hope so.

I do believe Disney + numbers inflated to a degree because Verizon did their hard push of if you have unlimited you could get Disney for free for a year.

I know more than a handful that signed up for it because they could get it free for a year and are not planning on keeping it after the free period is up.

people sooner rather than later are going to get fed up with have 10 different streaming services all nickel and diming then for $6-$10 and will eventually migrate back to cable where they can pay one price and get it all.

Afterall the reason people left cable was to avoid high costs. Streaming services are now starting to cost more than cable when you add them all together.

it really is quite fascinating what will happen in the future

The NBA ratings are terrible this year. We’ll see if that changes. I know I won’t help their numbers.
NBA ratings are down because their season is too damn long and people don’t care across the nation for games that have little juice.
The sport is overexposed. Just like baseball ratings.
If only one or two games were on national TV a week the ratings would go up. Now their are so games ratings are going to be low.
Football gets ratings because of gambling and the teams only play 1 game a week.

SEC is lucky they have 5-6 elite teams. The nation doesn’t give a crap about half that league in football. Alabama/Georgia/LSU/Auburn/Florida/Texas A&M/Tennessee carry the league’s football rep.
The rest don’t matter.

The ACC needs Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Louisville to get their chit together in football quickly.

Techincally, ACCN is available everywhere in the US through a number of streaming services like YouTubeTV, Hulu, etc. You can also get it with DirectTV and Dish anywhere in the US, provided you can put up a satellite dish.

If you live outside the ACC geographic footprint, you might have to pay more to get it. But the only major cable provider still out there that does not carry ACCN is Comcast.

Disney+ was just rolled out and already has over 10 million subscribers. It is a smash hit a lot of people want access to. Comcast isn’t carrying that either and is under heavy pressure to cave to Disney and provide access to this resource to their customers. It might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back and gets ACCN to all the Comcast refugees out there.

I hope so.
From your keyboard to the TV God's screen.

{snip}

Afterall the reason people left cable was to avoid high costs. Streaming services are now starting to cost more than cable when you add them all together.

it really is quite fascinating what will happen in the future
So the cord cutters aren't saving any money? Who'd a thunk it? But they're still getting the satisfaction of showing up The Man, aren't they?

Last edited:
I went the extra mile. It wasn’t easy. I have a few friends, both SU alums and big fans, who don’t get the network and aren’t going to do the extra legwork to get it elsewhere. I know other people who ask me how SU is doing, and then add, “They’re rarely on TV anymore.”
Yet they’re on more than when Melo was there
And certainly DC, Sherm and of course Pearl.

These alums and big fans you know...Im guessing they joined the Orange bandwagon during either the MCW or Malachi F4 runs...

When maybe 1 or 2 more was available for whatever reason.

An anomaly.

So the cord cutters aren't saving any money? Who'd a thunk it? But they're still getting the satisfaction of showing up The Man, aren't they?

Is this that Virginia education we hear about? Because you might want a refund.

Yet they’re on more than when Melo was there
And certainly DC, Sherm and of course Pearl.

These alums and big fans you know...Im guessing they joined the Orange bandwagon during either the MCW or Malachi F4 runs...

When maybe 1 or 2 more was available for whatever reason.

An anomaly.

Wrong on your guess. But nice try.

The ACC needs Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Louisville to get their chit together in football quickly.

UNC is getting a pop from Mack take 2 and his recruiting. They’ll be interesting the next 3-4 years, but is it sustainable? Glad we played them when they were down.

Louisville seems to have hired well and removed the Petrino stain.

If this hire doesn’t work for FSU, who will and how long will it take for that impatient group?

VT without Foster loses a huge part of their identity all those years.

Miami is the real shame in all of this for the ACC. It’s been an unthinkable run of mediocrity since 2003 for a program that seemed eternally unstoppable.

The ACC deal with ESPN is supposed to have “look ins” at some frequency (every 5 years) to keep us competitive given the length of the deal. Anyone hearing anything about that? One has to be coming up soon. Beyond the ACCN, maybe we see a boost in our tier 1/2 soon?

it was never about saving money or showing up the man. the problem with how it worked before was a lack of choice. you got one skinny bundle with local stuff and garbage OR one giant bundle with everything that costs a ton. canceling or changing things sucked.

say what you want about cord cutter era - but I appreciate the control we have over what we pay and when

I went the extra mile. It wasn’t easy. I have a few friends, both SU alums and big fans, who don’t get the network and aren’t going to do the extra legwork to get it elsewhere. I know other people who ask me how SU is doing, and then add, “They’re rarely on TV anymore.”

That might be a malaise issue too...

NBA ratings are down because their season is too damn long and people don’t care across the nation for games that have little juice.
The sport is overexposed. Just like baseball ratings.
If only one or two games were on national TV a week the ratings would go up. Now their are so games ratings are going to be low.
Football gets ratings because of gambling and the teams only play 1 game a week.

SEC is lucky they have 5-6 elite teams. The nation doesn’t give a crap about half that league in football. Alabama/Georgia/LSU/Auburn/Florida/Texas A&M/Tennessee carry the league’s football rep.
The rest don’t matter.

Having the SEC on TV on Saturday is like an NFL game on Sundays...honestly it's background noise but it's the best product on TV unless there is a rooting interest somewhere else.

Well, I was wrong about the SEC not getting that $300 million elsewhere. ABC is going to get the rights and they might take over starting next season.

This will mean less games on ABC for the ACC, the B1G and everyone else.

Well, I was wrong about the SEC not getting that $300 million elsewhere. ABC is going to get the rights and they might take over starting next season.

This will mean less games on ABC for the ACC, the B1G and everyone else.

This also shows just how poorly the networks have been paying the conferences. The B1G was paid impressively well in their last negotiation by all standards, but this increase blows away the B1G deal (pun not intended) and is a serious game changer for all the P5 schools. All the P5 conferences should be looking at significantly more revenue as they approach their negotiations (or look-ins). Also, because ESPN was so quick and easy to pay out this deal ($350-$440MM/Year), it remains likely a safe bet that the networks are still not close to the level the conferences should be paid.

We may see the PAC12 start working with a network as their primary source of revenue.

Also, the G5 conferences may demand a pay increase. Yeah, they have little leverage but for the fillers during the week and to keep them afloat so the P5 have some easy games, I think the G5 schools will be looking at larger payouts. Too bad UCan't dumped the AAC..., just kidding, not too bad.

This also shows just how poorly the networks have been paying the conferences. The B1G was paid impressively well in their last negotiation by all standards, but this increase blows away the B1G deal (pun not intended) and is a serious game changer for all the P5 schools. All the P5 conferences should be looking at significantly more revenue as they approach their negotiations (or look-ins). Also, because ESPN was so quick and easy to pay out this deal ($350-$440MM/Year), it remains likely a safe bet that the networks are still not close to the level the conferences should be paid.

We may see the PAC12 start working with a network as their primary source of revenue.

Also, the G5 conferences may demand a pay increase. Yeah, they have little leverage but for the fillers during the week and to keep them afloat so the P5 have some easy games, I think the G5 schools will be looking at larger payouts. Too bad UCan't dumped the AAC..., just kidding, not too bad.
The Big Ten is only conference that could potentially right now come close to what the SEC got and they won’t get what the SEC got.
Disney was motivated to get the SEC tier 1 rights because they own the SECN and they can stick SEC games
On ABC now.
Disney couldn’t do that. SEC football gets ratings. Outside of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State the Big Ten doesn’t get the same ratings.
The SEC tier 1 schedule is worth a lot.
This contract isn’t going to be a game changer for the rest of college football because until other conferences match the SEC performance they won’t rate as well.

The Big Ten is only conference that could potentially right now come close to what the SEC got and they won’t get what the SEC got.
Disney was motivated to get the SEC tier 1 rights because they own the SECN and they can stick SEC games
On ABC now.
Disney couldn’t do that. SEC football gets ratings. Outside of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State the Big Ten doesn’t get the same ratings.
The SEC tier 1 schedule is worth a lot.
This contract isn’t going to be a game changer for the rest of college football because until other conferences match the SEC performance they won’t rate as well.
Please re-read my post, I did NOT state any other conference would get what the SEC is getting, though you are probably less correct than you think. The take-away is that there is MUCH more money than the networks have been paying out.

While I agree with the motivation factor, the Disney/ESPN/ABC group will have to either increase payouts to other conferences or they stand to lose the properties. Fox is a serious player and CBS is likely to realize they need some CFB deal on their network.

The SEC contract is a game changer, the B1G contract was a game changer. Rest assured that the ACC, B1G, Big12 and PAC12 have learned much more than you and I have learned about TV deals. They all have good lawyers, good businessmen, and Television experts in their camps. You may wish to recall that the SUAD was Next-In-Line for the ESPN top dog gig before moving to SU. If the SEC is getting a pay increase of $20MM-$25MM/team, the other conferences will be getting a very nice increase, too.

Minus Clemson the ACC is a train wreck. Bad football played in half empty stadiums doesn’t scream pay them to ESPN. We might get a modest bump during a “Look In” but the divide between us and the SEC/Big10 continues to grow.

Minus Clemson the ACC is a train wreck. Bad football played in half empty stadiums doesn’t scream pay them to ESPN. We might get a modest bump during a “Look In” but the divide between us and the SEC/Big10 continues to grow.
The ACC needs 3-4 teams that regularly have 5-year upturns. F$U, Miami, VPI are likely candidates, but SU, UVA, UL, BCU & sPitt (and UNC, NCS, Wake, basically everyone) are capable as well given the right combination of coaches and players.

I agree with gmoney44 that it can’t just be Clemson. Each year there would ideally be a couple of ranked teams in each division.

The ACC needs 3-4 teams that regularly have 5-year upturns. F$U, Miami, VPI are likely candidates, but SU, UVA, UL, BCU & sPitt (and UNC, NCS, Wake, basically everyone) are capable as well given the right combination of coaches and players.

I agree with gmoney44 that it can’t just be Clemson. Each year there would ideally be a couple of ranked teams in each division.
The press has permanently branded the Coastal Champion as "the tallest midget". I'm not sure that even beating a highly ranked Clemson or possibly F$U in the ACCCG would make a dent in that characterization because there would be a catalog of excuses why they lost, rather than having the press admit the Coastal team was/played better. And I do think that would happen regardless of who the Coastal champion was. Beating another Atlantic team in the ACCCG would be pooh-poohed since "they didn't beat Clemson/F$U", regardless of Clemson's or F$U's record. It seems like the B1G West and the SEC East get dissed a bit less, but they're not held in high regard either.

The press has permanently branded the Coastal Champion as "the tallest midget". I'm not sure that even beating a highly ranked Clemson or possibly F$U in the ACCCG would make a dent in that characterization because there would be a catalog of excuses why they lost, rather than having the press admit the Coastal team was/played better. And I do think that would happen regardless of who the Coastal champion was. Beating another Atlantic team in the ACCCG would be pooh-poohed since "they didn't beat Clemson/F$U", regardless of Clemson's or F$U's record. It seems like the B1G West and the SEC East get dissed a bit less, but they're not held in high regard either.
When Miami won the Coastal 3 years ago they went 11-1 and were top 10 against Clemson in the ACC title game.
That matchup was a national quarterfinal game.
If Miami didn’t lose to Pitt the week before it would have been a top 3 battle at worst possibly top 2 as Auburn had beaten Alabama the week before as well.

The problem with the Coastal is every team has a WTH loss each year in conference play.
If your boys didn’t lose to Miami this year when you were better than them you guys are 10-2 and top 15.
The coastal needs it’s best team to go 10-2 every year.

I always thought it would be nice if every network had its own conference. It would make sense if the following played out:

ESPN is in bed with the SEC and ACC. One is more important in football and the other in basketball. They don’t really need the other P5 conferences for content. The G5 games can be on ESPNU. So for the SEC, each week there are three games on the SECN, one each on ABC/ESPN/ESN2, a Thursday night game, and if there are any others they are TBD. The ACC has the same setup but with the ACCN and a Friday night game. The G5 has three games on ESPNU and a game of the week on ESPN2. MACtion is still Tuesday and Wednesday.

FOX can keep the B1G and Big East. That gives them plenty of content for FOX/FS1/FS2 and still leaves games for the BTN.

NBC has ND football home games. They should grab the P12 as well. Due to the later starts the P12 won’t interfere with the EPL. NBC would get 1 game or 2 if ND is on the road. NBCSN would get two games. The rest go to the P12N.

That leaves the B12 for CBS. The game of the week is on the main network, plus three games go to the cable network. The other games go to Tier 3 gazillions.

When Miami won the Coastal 3 years ago they went 11-1 and were top 10 against Clemson in the ACC title game.
If Miami didn’t lose to Pitt the week before it would have been a top 3 battle at worst possibly top 2 as Auburn had beaten Alabama the week before as well.

The problem with the Coastal is every team has a WTH loss each year in conference play.
If your boys didn’t lose to Miami this year when you were better than them you guys are 10-2 and top 15.
The ACC Coastal is the league's version of the NFC East.

Coastal: 7 years, 7 different champs.
NFC East: since 2000, there hasn't been a repeat NFC East champ

Clemson was outplayed by UNC earlier in the year at Chapel Hill, and barely escaped when Mac went for 2 and the win. What a disaster that would've been for the conference if UNC wins that game, as arguably they should have. Clemson really gets the benefit of getting to the playoff in a league that as it currently stands is nothing more than a glorified G5, MAC type conference. Miami gets shut out yesterday in their bowl game by Louisiana Tech, and Pitt wins in the last minute against a 6-6 Eastern Michigan team.

Clemson was outplayed by UNC earlier in the year at Chapel Hill, and barely escaped when Mac went for 2 and the win. What a disaster that would've been for the conference if UNC wins that game, as arguably they should have. Clemson really gets the benefit of getting to the playoff in a league that as it currently stands is nothing more than a glorified G5, MAC type conference. Miami gets shut out yesterday in their bowl game by Louisiana Tech, and Pitt wins in the last minute against a 6-6 Eastern Michigan team.
The ACC right now is like the Big Ten in 2011 pre-Urban Meyer.
Once Meyer went to Ohio State the conference got its chit together.
Clemson isn’t going to get dinged because they are legit but the conference needs it’s middle class to get better and better fast. Problem is everyone beats everyone and keeps everyone mediocre.