Selection Sunday Thread... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Selection Sunday Thread...

I know it’s normally sacrilege to say, but I really wish this team got a road game next weekend. They don’t start super fast and the 730 Sunday slot is made for slow starts. Hope they don’t get caught up in all the graduation hoopla and can focus on the game.

Patrick Stevens‏ @D1scourse
Just talked with NCAA lacrosse committee chair John Hardt. We touched on a lot of what was said during his TV interview and a few other things as well ...

Said there really wasn't a true "last team out." Basically compared the group of Villanova, Ohio State, Bucknell and Rutgers and took the best of the lot.

Hardt answering the Robert Morris question ... "There's always geographical considerations. ... The NCAA wants the committee to limit flights for participating teams and that's certainly the case in the play-in game." Canisius buses to Bobby Mo. Would've had to fly to Richmond. (That's the explanation I sort of expected, but I do think that priority at the NCAA level --- above the committee's pay grade --- does a disservice to Robert Morris as well as the event as a whole).

Also unsurprising: Syracuse's high end victories and Cornell's notable loss to Colgate were major reasons for the Orange landing a home game.

Hardt noted that coming into the day, Yale was penciled in as the No. 1 seed. Found that an interesting tidbit. Things obviously changed around 2 p.m.

Hardt said it was a two-flight bracket (Richmond to Albany, Denver to Notre Dame). That means Villanova is taking the bus to Duke. Wasn't sure that was inside the 400-mile window or not.

Hardt on injuries ... "While eligibility and availability of student-athletes is part of the selection criteria, the committee --- at least this version of it --- believes that without unequivocal information about a player's status, it really isn't a factor for consideration."

I just looked it up on a distance calculator: the road trip between Villanova and Durham is 394 miles. They’ll never say it, but that had to be a factor in the final team selected.

Bucknell, Rutgers, O$U all over 400 miles away.

Highly recommend checking out the Rutgers board, some hilarious posts. Apparently Denver lost on purpose so the BE coukd get another team in and they can't figure out how SU got a home game. I guess being the only team with 2 Top 5 RPI wins is hard for them to understand.

There are some posters with serious issues. Aside from a lack of knowledge and understanding, they display their Rutgers and B1G homerism proudly.

Simply because the B1G beat the ACC head to head, they are supposed to get more bids. Never mind the remainder of the schedule. Playing Panzy State U. for easy wins and losing to teams they should dominate is never a good recipe for tourney success.

There are some posters with serious issues. Aside from a lack of knowledge and understanding, they display their Rutgers and B1G homerism proudly.

Simply because the B1G beat the ACC head to head, they are supposed to get more bids. Never mind the remainder of the schedule. Playing Panzy State U. for easy wins and losing to teams they should dominate is never a good recipe for tourney success.
Couldn't agree more. Stop your whining and win more games.

Patrick Stevens‏ @D1scourse

Hardt said it was a two-flight bracket (Richmond to Albany, Denver to Notre Dame). That means Villanova is taking the bus to Duke. Wasn't sure that was inside the 400-mile window or not.

I don't put much thought into it but this one did stand out to me a little. Why not Richmond at Duke and Villanova at UAlbany. Both bus trips and Nova might be the worse team in the field, doesn't make sense for Duke to get them.

Glad we sneaked in, feel for Bucknell and Rutgers who had great years!

Taking Cuse route of the list who do you think are your top three teams that could win this, taking into consideration current form!

Maryland have taken a few losses the last few weeks and their best player is playing injured!

I don’t see Duke winning it this year either.

Without thinking about Cuse I’d say these three teams could win it all this year:
Hopkins (most in form team in college lacrosse this year).
Yale
Loyola

I don't put much thought into it but this one did stand out to me a little. Why not Richmond at Duke and Villanova at UAlbany. Both bus trips and Nova might be the worse team in the field, doesn't make sense for Duke to get them.

Richmond should have been in the play-in-game with Canisius (AQ's with the worst RPI's), with the winner headed to Maryland. They flopped Richmond and Robert Morris to avoid Canisius having to take a plane ride.

Richmond got bumped from being #16 to being #15. They were never going to bump them all the way up to #13 to play Duke.

I get the cost cutting thing a bit.. but the reality is that changing a single plane rid for 1 team and causing bracket integrity is pretty stupid considering the Pot of money they are making off the BBall tourney. what are we talking here.. a bus both ways is probably 2-300 and a plane ticket is $500 on southwest from buf to maryland. A charter probably less than that round trip.

How did Syracuse get the No. 8 seed and a home game in the first round over Cornell, which defeated the Orange, 13-8, on April 10?

That is a great question because I think a lot of folks are going to point to Cornell’s head-to-head victory earlier in the season over Syracuse, and I also think that both Syracuse and Cornell had very close RPIs with maybe Cornell being a spot or two ahead of them. But as we drilled down further, Syracuse was 3-1 against common opponents while Cornell was 2-2. Syracuse was undefeated in the [Atlantic Coast Conference] regular season, which made an impact when you look at the quality and that being the No. 1 RPI conference in the country. They had quality wins over Notre Dame, Duke and Virginia. And I also think that because it was so close, we ended up looking at bad losses, and in that regard, Cornell had two losses that were bad losses considered by the committee, and that was Colgate and Princeton whereas Syracuse’s worst loss of the season was to Navy with an RPI of 17. So we took that all into consideration, and we gave the slight edge to Syracuse, and that’s why they were awarded the [No.] 8 seed and are hosting Cornell in the [Carrier] Dome in that first round.

As much as I hated this schedule this year it saved our bacon at the end of the day. The Navy loss was huge for our seeding. Add Bingo and Canisius please and/ or Fairfield Sienna next year.

Realistically, had SU played a lower SoS they probably would have been 10-3 or 11-2 going into the ACC tourney.

Playing Panzy State U. for easy wins and losing to teams they should dominate is never a good recipe for tourney success.[/QUOTE]

the Panzy State panzers offense unleashes some awesome firepower .

8685079.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom