Senior Day Saturday-Cooney and G | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Senior Day Saturday-Cooney and G

I will be there --- weather and Jet Blue willing. Senior Days are special occasions, and I fondly remember several of them.

Three that come to mind immediately:

2004 -- when Jeremy McNeill was the only senior. Jeremy literally had no family (the grandmother who raised him had died three months earlier), so the entire team walked onto the court with him as his surrogate family. A very emotional moment.

2005 -- Senior Day for Hakim Warrick, Craig Forth and Josh Pace ... which was also JB's 700th victory. Of course we lost to Vermont two weeks later, but that's another story.

2006 -- GMac was the only senior, and half of Scranton, PA, was there for the occasion. A lot of raucous fun -- which was followed by Gerry's heroics in the Big East tourney the following week.

I was at all 3 of them. I believe Mcneil was against a top ranked UCONN team that we beat.

Hakim went for about 35 and Forth had 2 monster dunks. The dome went crazy for him which literally brought a tear to my eye after the 4 years he suffered being called the mummy.

the student section for the gmac game still pisses me off. 1/2 of the upperdeck was empty.

I was at all 3 of them. I believe Mcneil was against a top ranked UCONN team that we beat.

Hakim went for about 35 and Forth had 2 monster dunks. The dome went crazy for him which literally brought a tear to my eye after the 4 years he suffered being called the mummy.

the student section for the gmac game still pisses me off. 1/2 of the upperdeck was empty.

I've been to every Senior game since 03.

I was a JR for that GMAC game. While he was extremely popular, nobody thought that team was going anywhere and I think the relatively early start time hurt attendance. He played great against a much better Nova team.

Anyone who gives there all to this program deserves an ovation, we all respect the amount of time and effort they put in, I think we are just frustrated with the way the season is going.

That's how I feel. I have no issue with the guys who have left early to go pro, whatever they feel is best for them. But anyone who plays for 4 years and represents the program well on and off the court , like Cooney and Gbinije have, deserves a huge ovation on senior day. Heck, even if they had a misstep or two along the way, as long as they learned from it, that's okay in my book. I wasn't perfect in college either.

That's how I feel. I have no issue with the guys who have left early to go pro, whatever they feel is best for them. But anyone who plays for 4 years and represents the program well on and off the court , like Cooney and Gbinije have, deserves a huge ovation on senior day. Heck, even if they had a misstep or two along the way, as long as they learned from it, that's okay in my book. I wasn't perfect in college either.

DITTO!

Why wouldn't you? He's highly thought of by his team mates for his contributions during practices. All walk ons should be applauded

of course I'll salute whomever is recognized for the Orange

my somewhat snide remark about CW was only because (as I understand it, and I could be wrong) he asked not to play at all this year so he keeps a year of eligibility as he intends to use it elsewhere next year. so, other than practice time he has chosen not to help this club at all, and this will also not be his final game.

of course I'll salute whomever is recognized for the Orange

my somewhat snide remark about CW was only because (as I understand it, and I could be wrong) he asked not to play at all this year so he keeps a year of eligibility as he intends to use it elsewhere next year. so, other than practice time he has chosen not to help this club at all, and this will also not be his final game.

You are going to hold it against a kid because he wants to retain a year of eligibility so he can go someplace and actually play???

You have to be kidding me.

And one question, when you say" don't play", do you mean still go to all the practices knowing he isn't going to see the floor at all and doing it anyway or do you mean not be part of the basketball program at all?

You are going to hold it against a kid because he wants to retain a year of eligibility so he can go someplace and actually play???

You have to be kidding me.

And one question, when you say" don't play", do you mean still go to all the practices knowing he isn't going to see the floor at all and doing it anyway or do you mean not be part of the basketball program at all?

as I said above, I'll gladly cheer for him. I do appreciate what he has done for the team and would never begrudge a kid (or anyone) for doing what was right for them (unless those actions hurt others). Playing at 3 schools during career is cool by me, if not some others, LOL. His situation is a bit different from other walk ons we have had. I can't remember another guy saying "don't play me coach" because I'm outta here next year.

Christian White, we speak your name...

as I said above, I'll gladly cheer for him. I do appreciate what he has done for the team and would never begrudge a kid (or anyone) for doing what was right for them (unless those actions hurt others). Playing at 3 schools during career is cool by me, if not some others, LOL. His situation is a bit different from other walk ons we have had. I can't remember another guy saying "don't play me coach" because I'm outta here next year.

Christian White, we speak your name...

I could be wrong but I believe what he said was that he would rather not play if not needed but, if the situation was such that they asked him to go into a game, he would.. Not quite the same as "don't play me coach".
His hope was to retain a year of eligibility so he can get a scholarship at another school, play ball and earn a masters.
In the meantime he is without a scholarship, attending practices and helping the team. He is consistently the biggest cheerleader on the bench, leads the team onto the court at the start and second half of every game and, according to many is a fiery competitor in practice.
Sorry if I engaged in overstating my case but I really feel that he got a bad rap for his "please don't play me unless you need to" request

I could be wrong but I believe what he said was that he would rather not play if not needed but, if the situation was such that they asked him to go into a game, he would.. Not quite the same as "don't play me coach".
His hope was to retain a year of eligibility so he can get a scholarship at another school, play ball and earn a masters.
In the meantime he is without a scholarship, attending practices and helping the team. He is consistently the biggest cheerleader on the bench, leads the team onto the court at the start and second half of every game and, according to many is a fiery competitor in practice.
Sorry if I engaged in overstating my case but I really feel that he got a bad rap for his "please don't play me unless you need to" request

I hear ya, and don't disagree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom