Seth Davis - Should college hoops change to 4 quarters? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seth Davis - Should college hoops change to 4 quarters?

God no, don't do that. We don't work on free throws nearly enough as it is. The one and one is a great incentive to work on that aspect of the game.

I think we must work on them because we have seen a few players improve at it over the years.

Howard reminds me of someone like Mike Gbinije at the line. Great three point shooter, bad foul shooter. Mike did become serviceable by his senior year though. He and Rakeem Christmas are both example of guys who shot in the 50% range and eventually became serviceable to good at it. Same with DC.

Get better and they won't do that. Or coach the team to have someone else take the ball.

I guess. I just never understood why the rule was created in the first place. It's not intuitive.

Jay Bilas discussed this issue with K, Roy, JB and Pitino maybe a week ago, and I'm pretty sure all the coaches were in favor of moving to quarters if given the choice.

I personally like the halves just for nostalgia and familiarity purposes. (I know that's not a very good reason)

It's the stoppages right before a TV timeout with commercials only to be followed by 40 seconds of game time then 3 more minutes of commercials that drives me nuts.

TV timeouts should be plus or minus 45 seconds of the 4 minute breaks.
This is what makes the game difficult to watch sometimes and that's when I yell "another commercial?! We just had one!" It almost certainly helps slower physical teams like the ones we hate playing. How do the players get into any rhythm when they are never really playing for more than a couple minutes at a time?

Ya know when we complain about the crowd? Yeh, they have sit through all these breaks too. It dampens the live experience.

I think the fundamental problem is too many commercial breaks. Iirc, In the 80's you could watch a half of basketball nearly straight through. Maybe a two or three timeouts. The action was constant not to mention the screen was virtually free of graphics and scroll bars and ads for the next show.

Teams get in the bonus really early in a half and then all ticky tac fouls all foul shots and kill the flow stopping and shooting FTs.
5 team fouls per Q. Allows the penalty to not ruin halfs.

If you don't shoot fouls until the opponent has effectively fouled you 1o times in the half instead of 7, you wind up with more fouls.

Where in the world is Soccer played and it isn't 2 45 minutes halves?
Comparing soccer to college hoops doesn't work. College hoops has no flow you get TOs every 4 minutes and because of the foul situation you can get teams in the penalty 5-6 minutes into a half and it affects the flow for an overwhelming majority of the half.
Four 10 minute quarters is better for the teams as it relates to penalty FT shooting.

Yeah, but at least college hoops is only 2 halves. Turning it into a game of quarters will be simply more commercials.

Either way, you're finishing halves and quarters with big chunks of time in the bonus.

Wouldn't a better solution be to get rid of the 1-and-1? It's arguably the dumbest rule ever created, so why not start there?

I'd rather only do this at the end of each half. Especially in the second half if a game is close, that's where all the drama is - "can he sink this free throw to clinch it?" You don't get that on FT's at the end of the third quarter.

Yeah, but at least college hoops is only 2 halves. Turning it into a game of quarters will be simply more commercials.

Move to quarters. Have one TV timeout per quarter(after 5 minutes) and give each coach 3 fulls and a 30/20. Problem solved.

Would be much better than the under 16,12,8,4 plus 4 time outs on each side now.

You get TOs now under 16, 12,8,4 and then halftime.
Under Qs you get one timeout under 5 and the end of the quarter.
You have 1 less TO per half. Each TO would be 30 seconds longer and it evens out.

You get TOs now under 16, 12,8,4 and then halftime.
Under Qs you get one timeout under 5 and the end of the quarter.
You have 1 less TO per half. Each TO would be 30 seconds longer and it evens out.

How long are the breaks for the quarters and is the halftime break the same length as it is currently?

How long are the breaks for the quarters and is the halftime break the same length as it is currently?
Right now TV timeouts are 2:30-3:30 long and halftime is 12 minutes.

Right now TV timeouts are 2:30-3:30 long and halftime is 12 minutes.

So we'd expect the quarter breaks to be 2:30-3:30 minutes long like a tv timeout or longer? Halftime would stay at 12 minutes?

So we'd expect the quarter breaks to be 2:30-3:30 minutes long like a tv timeout or longer? Halftime would stay at 12 minutes?
TOs would become 3 minutes long and halftime wouldn't change at all.
The extra 30 seconds times the 5 stoppages would equal the 6 stoppages we have now.

Don't care either way.

No.
should college basketball allow hand offs for ten yard runs?

Soccer doesn't and college hoops doesn't. Those are the 2 best sports to watch, and soccer is the best, from a fan's point of view, because there are no breaks, no commercials, no time-outs, no instructions from the coaches on the sidelines (well, they do it, but play is still going on...).
Oh really?

I know the world ♥️⚽️ but the GOOD sports are US based; adapted from British ones & GREATLY IMPROVED UPON!

Except hockey & boxing

⚽️ Is a snooze fest.

Oh and B-Ball Is a USA Original & THE BEST!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom