Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 87 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

Chance Westry will be 21 years old before the start of the next college basketball season. He will have 4 years of eligibility wherever he goes.

After watching UCONN that doesn't seem like a bad idea - no one can get off a good look against them - they steal the ball and get a shot off before ur back on defense - we used to the that with Fab, Scoop, Waiters and MCW

With Judah and Westry in the same backcourt you better be great on defense because opposing teams will never need to leave the paint. Jesse would never get the ball. This team is in dire need of shooters.

With Judah and Westry in the same backcourt you better be great on defense because opposing teams will never need to leave the paint. Jesse would never get the ball. This team is in dire need of shooters.
I think of Judah comes back his shooting is going to be much improved. He's got a good looking shot, and in a small sample size, he shot the ball very well at the end of the year.

It is odd how many people want to hold onto the players from a 17-15 season.

At the same time I have mixed feelings about Westry. A year ago, we would have been thrilled with signing him. Now a year later were not sure. My thoughts are High school recruiting is for potential. The transfer portal is for production. JJ had some Fr production so I'm good with that move.

There are a lot of double digit, even 15 and 20 pts per game scorers out there that we should be pursuing but are not which concerns me that the old guard thinking and strategy is still around.
the whole idea behind having 6 freshman was to build season on season

it's true sometimes you need to know when to let go and that letting go can be hard

theres possibly a bit of sunk cost that people want to hold on to there...letting go of them now would be letting go of the sacrifices made last year

thing is: were the freshman simply not good or are they good but too young?

i think all of the freshman will be good at some point in their ncaa careers

but the idea is how will they be next season...thats all that really matters...so yeah

if they are willing to hang around without any guarantee of playing time - i think they are - then keep em

but take a player like girard - he scores a lot - but imo is a net negative at the p6 level becuase of shortness, defense and poor decision making - so scoring isnt the only thing to look at

but youre right...the idea should be to bring in talent

i do think a defensive stopper or two will be very important to have around

Last edited:

it's true sometimes you need to know when to let go and that letting go can be hard

theres possibly a bit of sunk cost that people want to hold on to there...letting go of them now would be letting go of the sacrifices made last year

but the idea is how will they be next season...thats all that really matters...so yeah

if they are willing to hang around without any guarantee of playing time - i think they are - then keep em

but take a player like girard - he scores a lot - but imo is a net negative at the p6 level becuase of defense and poor decision making - so scoring isnt the only thing to look at

We got 6 freshman because we were lazy in the portal

I think of Judah comes back his shooting is going to be much improved. He's got a good looking shot, and in a small sample size, he shot the ball very well at the end of the year.
I’m sure he will be improved, but they still will give him jumpers.

Chance Westry will be 21 years old before the start of the next college basketball season. He will have 4 years of eligibility wherever he goes.
Not sure if this should be viewed as a good thing. I know it's good to be older in CBB, but if a guy didn't produce at that age in college then there deserves to be some skepticism. It was not like Auburn was a great team themselves.

i think it was a strategy purposefully chosen by boeheim, on principle

i dont think it was necessarily laziness...i think he had his reasons and wanted to try to prove a point and also set the team up for next year...

doesnt mean that was the best choice but i get why he did it.

but take a player like girard - he scores a lot - but imo is a net negative at the p6 level becuase of shortness, defense and poor decision making - so scoring isnt the only thing to look at

Your right, there's a difference between a guy that has played 4 years, has maxed out in ability and been given opportunity and weve seen the results vs a guy who has only played 1 year and isn't yet the player he could become.

I’m sure he will be improved, but they still will give him jumpers.
I think Judah and JJ will shoot well enough from 3 to demand respect from the defense. Both look fine shooting.

i think it was a strategy purposefully chosen by boeheim, on principle

i dont think it was necessarily laziness...i think he had his reasons and wanted to try to prove a point and also set the team up for next year...

doesnt mean that was the best choice but i get why he did it.
My understanding was JB wanted to leave a full cupboard for Red, so he brought in a core of players who would be there when he retired. Of course that's not nearly as important in the portal era, since teams can be torn down and rebuilt each Spring. Either way, despite the growing pains of last year, it was helpful for Red as he has a core of role players going into his first year. Grab a star or two from the portal and he'll be good to go.

We take 6 freshman and don't make the NCAAT. Yukon took 4 portal guys and are about to win the NCAAT. Although it was nice bringing in all the freshmen, it was extremely lazy on JAB's behalf. Portalling has to be the new recruiting.

We take 6 freshman and don't make the NCAAT. Yukon took 4 portal guys and are about to win the NCAAT. Although it was nice bringing in all the freshmen, it was extremely lazy on JAB's behalf. Portalling has to be the new recruiting.

UConn took 4 portal guys AND also recruited like 4 Top 50 guys over the past few years.

You really need to be doing BOTH to maximize a team’s potential.

The only hint of a pass I’ll give JAB about not landing a Portal forward (or begging/bribing Swider to return) was -
Doing so likely causes Benny to bolt, which then means we (likely) don’t get Judah.

He maybe was overconfident in Benny “making the Soph leap”, but I can see how he knew how badly we needed Judah, and made his choices based on that.

Or - he just got lazy.

Texas tech took 5 portal guys and finished .500. Illinois took 3 portal guys and had a worse season then their last 2. It’s not the secret formula, it’s just another ingredient.

Because the transfer portal was already up and running for 2 years straight. Other teams had already adapted to the portal and we chose to get 6 freshman.
Then claim they didn’t utilize it. A conscious choice is very different than a weak effort.

So any actual news on Chance? Have to assume a visit will occur in the next couple of weeks (probably not this weekend with Donnie visiting though).

Spot on

They also have a good coach, good systems and a defense that gets after it. It’s not because they got some portal kids. Portal kids aren’t always plug and play and can bring their own chemistry issues as well.

They also have a good coach, good systems and a defense that gets after it. It’s not because they got some portal kids. Portal kids aren’t always plug and play and can bring their own chemistry issues as well.
They brought in 4 transfers with just 2 freshmen. One transfer is their 3rd leading scorer and another shoots 44% from 3. So out of their 9 man rotation four played for other schools last year.