Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon

Understand what you're saying. Right now I think a trio of Tyus, Thompson and Durante will do most the scoring. I think Moyer, Brissett and Ayala will average around the 5-8 ppg next year. Don't expect a whole bunch out of Sidibe next year but I think he can surprise, he's an underrated athlete, will depend on how many second chance points he is able to get as that is where most his offense will come from
Love this post!

The implication that Battle is still here (I think he will be, but wouldn't be shocked, and am not fully ruling out him leaving though) along with picking up Duarte and Ayala for next year would go a long way at walking some "fans" back from the ledge!

Keep up the optimism...we definitely need it around here!

The all important "silent verbal"?

Don't know about that, but it is a great sign that he's lined up a second visit this weekend. Hope that means that a commitment is imminent.

I know there are 3 mid-majors listed there, but are we not a Big Boy?
Not when it comes to recruiting. I think SU is a Tier 3 school when it comes to recruiting power. Not terrible by any means, but not in the same class as Duke/UK (Tier 1), or Arizona, Kansas, UCLA, etc. (Tier 2). We typically get 1 McD or similar and a couple more top-100 regional kids. That's better than a lot of schools and certainly nothing to sneeze at, but we don't recruit nationally like the other schools do.

Not when it comes to recruiting. I think SU is a Tier 3 school when it comes to recruiting power. Not terrible by any means, but not in the same class as Duke/UK (Tier 1), or Arizona, Kansas, UCLA, etc. (Tier 2). We typically get 1 McD or similar and a couple more top-100 regional kids. That's better than a lot of schools and certainly nothing to sneeze at, but we don't recruit nationally like the other schools do.
Those are some very narrow tiers you have developed.

Are we a NATIONAL recruiting power? Maybe not if you use Kentucky as a beacon.

That said, let's not sneeze at our recruiting footprint. The last 15 years, about 90% of our recruits come from NYS, Canada or the I-95 corridor from Boston to Richmond. That's smart in my mind.

Doing crude math, there are 350M people in the US and Canada. Our 6-7 hour footprint incorporates nearly 1/3 of the US & Canadian population (I did not breakdown Canada, TOO LAZY ... but Ontario is their most populous province by far).

Do we want Autry or Gerry monitoring play in Texas or Arkansas or Oregon or Tennessee? I don't think so, especially when the best hoops at that level level are played in the northeast.

Have we worked outside of this footprint? Yes we have, but not as much as in the 80s & 90s (Stevie, Luke, DC, Hart, Burgan, Etan, Shumpert, Manning). It has been pretty rare this millennium, with examples being Fab, Pace, J.McNeil, D.Riley.

All this said, I see things changing a bit in the coming years. I bet Hop jumps back into the SoCal fray (to a degree). And I'd guess you'll see concerted efforts in Ohio, Michigan and Florida. Especially Ohio thanks to the LeBron factor. But the base will always be I-95, Upstate NY and Canada. That won't change.

Don't look at it as lazy, but conversely, it's quite smart.

I mean UCLA is having their first good year in 10 years and they are now tier 2 in recruiting?

Sorry, Syracuse is a recruiting powerhouse and they''re kicking ass. Didn't mean to offend any of the delicate snowflakes over here ...

Lol. Sounds like you may be the sensitive one. Including UCLA is odd after one year, that is all.

Are we a NATIONAL recruiting power? Maybe not if you use Kentucky as a beacon.

That said, let's not sneeze at our recruiting footprint. The last 15 years, about 90% of our recruits come from NYS, Canada or the I-95 corridor from Boston to Richmond. That's smart in my mind.

Doing crude math, there are 350M people in the US and Canada. Our 6-7 hour footprint incorporates nearly 1/3 of the US & Canadian population (I did not breakdown Canada, TOO LAZY ... but Ontario is their most populous province by far).

Do we want Autry or Gerry monitoring play in Texas or Arkansas or Oregon or Tennessee? I don't think so, especially when the best hoops at that level level are played in the northeast.

Have we worked outside of this footprint? Yes we have, but not as much as in the 80s & 90s (Stevie, Luke, DC, Hart, Burgan, Etan, Shumpert, Manning). It has been pretty rare this millennium, with examples being Fab, Pace, J.McNeil, D.Riley.

All this said, I see things changing a bit in the coming years. I bet Hop jumps back into the SoCal fray (to a degree). And I'd guess you'll see concerted efforts in Ohio, Michigan and Florida. Especially Ohio thanks to the LeBron factor. But the base will always be I-95, Upstate NY and Canada. That won't change.

Don't look at it as lazy, but conversely, it's quite smart.

With some of the newer prep schools, I wouldn't entirely agree that the best HS hoops are in the eastern seaboard anymore. Las Vegas, Florida, and
Texas are getting some top tier players. More to the point, should a recruit start in the east, and then move, I'd hope they would learn from this year and continue to recruit the player. And I'd also hope that just because a player isn't in the 'home' region, they'd make at least an effort to see if any interest.

Kev

With some of the newer prep schools, I wouldn't entirely agree that the best HS hoops are in the eastern seaboard anymore. Las Vegas, Florida, and
Texas are getting some top tier players. More to the point, should a recruit start in the east, and then move, I'd hope they would learn from this year and continue to recruit the player. And I'd also hope that just because a player isn't in the 'home' region, they'd make at least an effort to see if any interest.

Kev

Good post. I will add that I think our recruiting restrictions did hamper us a little bit when players moved. Hard to canvas everywhere when we are only allowed 2 recruiters on the road at the same time. We definitely dropped the ball in a few cases when guys left their local schools.

Last edited:
Lol. Sounds like you may be the sensitive one. Including UCLA is odd after one year, that is all.
It was just an example school. It's not about whether they're a good team this year or not, but where they get their recruits. A lot CA kids, but they go national when they want someone and aren't beholden to a geographic area. It was interesting to see SU make some inroads to GA, but nothing has come of that besides a few offers.

SU got their teeth kicked in this cycle so far and people are bent out of shape because someone didn't lump them in Kansas and Zona.

If we offer Duarte which I fully expect, he is 100% ours. Ayala I feel good about but not gonna say he is 100% ours. Still have UCONN to worry about with him.

Why haven't we offered him yet? There a specific reason?

I'm always curious to see why these under the radar kids are under the radar. Some, I know, has to do with injuries. But other reasons may be lack of competition or a late growth spurt turning a middling guard into a solid forward.

No excuse for a program like SU not to be the east coast version of Zona imo. Their top players have come from NY, GA, CA, OK, NC, Finland etc. Miller and his crew doesn't limit themselves from turning over every rock when it comes to recruiting.

Well we wanted to watch him play, which we did and he dropped 38, so I would assume an offer is immient with a visit following shortly after and more than likely he commits on the visit.
He had a bad game when Hop watched him at the Hoophall Classic a few weeks ago. I would assume that made them a bit hesitant in offering, but like you said if he's dropping 38 against Tilton and MCW's twin bros then you know he's a legit baller.