Class of 2024 - SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered

Sooooo I pretty much never say this about a recruit or incoming freshman. But if we land Bethea. Which is a BIG IF. Granted we are in a good spot right now but still a bit to go with this recruitment and everyone wants him.

But back to what I never say. If we land this kid from DAY ONE he is a starter and takes us to that next level. He’s pretty much a sure fire one and done and lottery pick unless something crazy happens. Land Moore, Freeman, Bethea and a big. Probably our best class since Waiters, Melo, Fair and Keita. And tbh I’d probably put the 2024 class over them depending on who we land at center. Bethea is a game changer, freeman and Moore are studs but they aren’t even at the Bethea level

I certainly agree that Jalil is a five-star prospect, and a class of him, Donnie and Elijah would be tremendous. It will be interesting to see how big this class can get, given the current roster is set at 13, with no seniors. I would add that while Jalil has moved into the top 20 from some recruiting services, Donnie has moved into the top 30, so Freeman is pretty darn good, too :) Oh, and Elijah is now in the top 60!

I certainly agree that Jalil is a five-star prospect, and a class of him, Donnie and Elijah would be tremendous. It will be interesting to see how big this class can get, given the current roster is set at 13, with no seniors. I would add that while Jalil has moved into the top 20 from some recruiting services, Donnie has moved into the top 30, so Freeman is pretty darn good, too :) Oh, and Elijah is now in the top 60!

I think these days its a very poor strategy to not over recruit! I'd bet the rarest way to lose a player is graduation.

What % of 4/5* guys transfer after year one of a limited role?
What % of 4/5* guys transfer after year two of a limited role?
What % of 4/5* guys leave after year one or two of large successful roles to go pro?
Even developmental 3* type guys transfer out to lower level schools to play after 2 or 3 seasons.

If you want to be a high level NCAA team and use 13 ships on legit prospects then I think you can expect to turn over at least 4 players regardless of class. It seems prudent to bring in a 4/5 player class every year. You are very likely to lose your two best players and two players from the bench every season.

I think it winds up be a four player class. I would also expect the staff to stay active with other targets even after securing four. Things change very late these days and some of these targets will be available again after their freshman seasons elsewhere.

I think these days its a very poor strategy to not over recruit! I'd bet the rarest way to lose a player is graduation.

What % of 4/5* guys leave after year one or two of large successful roles to go pro?
Even developmental 3* type guys transfer out to lower level schools to play after 2 or 3 seasons.

If you want to be a high level NCAA team and use 13 ships on legit prospects then I think you can expect to turn over at least 4 players regardless of class. It seems prudent to bring in a 4/5 player class every year. You are very likely to lose your two best players and two players from the bench every season.

I think it winds up be a four player class. I would also expect the staff to stay active with other targets even after securing four. Things change very late these days and some of these targets will be available again after their freshman seasons elsewhere.

Trick is to over recruit in a complementary way. Have a vision that allows kids you recruit to both replace and play alongside your current guys until you know something otherwise

All great points. I agree 2024 could be a four-member class.

Trick is to over recruit in a complementary way. Have a vision that allows kids you recruit to both replace and play alongside your current guys until you know something otherwise
Positionless basketball...

"Yes, we know we are recruiting you, 7' guy, to a team with 4 other 7' guys... But we think you all can play together in some circumstances. We see you as a shooting guard."

"Yes, we know we are recruiting you, 7' guy, to a team with 4 other 7' guys... But we think you all can play together in some circumstances. We see you as a shooting guard."

Let's just say the whole "recruiting projects" phase hopefully becomes the 12th and 13th spot at the most going forward. Otherwise my post/thoughts stand

Big thing about recruiting these types of guys, they want to be surrounded by better players. This first true class of red is so important because kids want to win. I don’t think the minutes and everything people are worried about is a big concern. They want to play on winning teams and not something cuse has had in a while

Big thing about recruiting these types of guys, they want to be surrounded by better players. This first true class of red is so important because kids want to win. I don’t think the minutes and everything people are worried about is a big concern. They want to play on winning teams and not something cuse has had in a while

First two '24 recruits certainly help our cause with that too.

And, they want to play a style that showcases them for the NBA. We’ve got that, finally.

Let's just say the whole "recruiting projects" phase hopefully becomes the 12th and 13th spot at the most going forward. Otherwise my post/thoughts stand
Most of my post was tongue in cheek, but the part about positionless basketball wasn't.

If you are recruiting a bunch of highly skilled, highly athletic guys from 6'4 to 6'10, it doesn't really matter what position they came up playing. Two power forwards and three combo guards works just as well as a traditional lineup if they're good enough.

One of my favorite all-time cbb squads was the old "Flying Illini" team from the University of Illinois:

Marcus Liberty,
Kendall Gill,
Nick Anderson,
Kenny Battle,
Stephen Bardo,
Lowell Hamilton.

None of them over 6'8, all of them could handle, pass, board, and played 100% positionless basketball.
They were so far ahead of their time, but that's the type of team I'd love to see SU bball evolve into.

The class will be larger if they can land some big fish. You never say no to big fish. Scholarships always work themselves out. JJ and Judah will be gone to the pros. The coaches are expecting that. And some guys will transfer if they see a stud like Jalil coming in.

One of my favorite all-time cbb squads was the old "Flying Illini" team from the University of Illinois:

Marcus Liberty,
Kendall Gill,
Nick Anderson,
Kenny Battle,
Stephen Bardo,
Lowell Hamilton.

None of them over 6'8, all of them could handle, pass, board, and played 100% positionless basketball.
They were so far ahead of their time, but that's the type of team I'd love to see SU bball evolve into.
Well, with a lineup of two ten year NBA starters, three other guys who got drafted and played at least three NBA seasons, and a McDonald's AA who couldn't crack the starting lineup, you ought to do well.

That team had some great college players.

If our current team has five NBA players, I'd be surprised, even if we are counting two way contract guys that rarely get in a game.

“Miami, Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, UConn and Kansas are expected in at the Philly Live Event for Bethea, who recently excelled at the Pangos All-American Camp.”

“Among the schools recruiting him the hardest are Miami, Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown, UConn and Kansas.”

The Philly Live event is this weekend btw

“Miami, Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, UConn and Kansas are expected in at the Philly Live Event for Bethea, who recently excelled at the Pangos All-American Camp.”

“Among the schools recruiting him the hardest are Miami, Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown, UConn and Kansas.”

The Philly Live event is this weekend btw
I'll see each of those other school's HCs...

In Hell

Stock-rising SG Jalil Bethea: "Seeing (Coach Cal) is like seeing God"
Some nice quotes about Cuse in this article but it does sound like he really wants to go to a blue blood. Gonna take a really strong effort on our end to fend them off. Regardless of the outcome, it’s encouraging to see just how hard our staff is working on him and making him known how big of a priority he is.

Some nice quotes about Cuse in this article but it does sound like he really wants to go to a blue blood. Gonna take a really strong effort on our end to fend them off. Regardless of the outcome, it’s encouraging to see just how hard our staff is working on him and making him known how big of a priority he is.
IMG_3601.gif

Love that we're working the hardest and Melo is in the mix. A little puzzled that some comments were humbled and others weren't. And Cal-God line was a huge cringe. Yeah he puts guys in the NBA but not by coaching

Love that we're working the hardest and Melo is in the mix. A little puzzled that some comments were humbled and others weren't. And Cal-God line was a huge cringe. Yeah he puts guys in the NBA but not by coaching

Cal takes a class of 5-7 sure-fire NBA picks…

And then gets 1-3 of them into the NBA.

Brilliant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom