Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

I believe that it would have waited likely due to shafer, but was Accelerated due to leaks of the info and people creating a buzz. For instance I knew Saturday night this was coming. If someone like me knows its time to make the move. IMO

Edit - And its not like I had exclusive info, other people knew also. LOL Sorry didn't want people thinking I am over here trying to be a hero. And I think most people know I was and am a pretty big Shafer supporter.

I wonder how quickly a new coach will be put in place. Hopefully the process moves quickly and the AD will get who he wants and everyone can start anew. I think it helps with recruiting as well so the new staff can evaluate the commits and see who they'd like to honor, and let the commits know if they fit with the new staff. Plus, it would allow for less negative recruiting due to the staff vacancy. Still, it probably won't go as fast as most of us would like.

Best of luck to Shafer and his staff. Coach Shafer is a quality individual who did just about everything you'd want your coach to do, except maybe the most important; win games.

Just a couple of things.

1) No scorched earth exit like Marrone pulled

2) Would not be be surprised if Shafer, within reason, will encourage kids to honor their commitments.

3)Wouldn't be surprised to see Shafer take a year off and watch his son Wolfgang play ball. $ shouldn't be an issue.

4) Already being reported that a new coach will be able to keep whatever assistants he wants.

would NEVER in a million years happen but man I'd love Shaf to continue as DC. And I don't think he's so proud he wouldn't do it. But #4 I could see that. I could also see a heavy hitting P5 school hire him to lead their defense next year.

Agree with #2.

How about keeping SS as DC?

Just a couple of things.

1) No scorched earth exit like Marrone pulled

2) Would not be be surprised if Shafer, within reason, will encourage kids to honor their commitments.

3)Wouldn't be surprised to see Shafer take a year off and watch his son Wolfgang play ball. $ shouldn't be an issue.

4) Already being reported that a new coach will be able to keep whatever assistants he wants.

would NEVER in a million years happen but man I'd love Shaf to continue as DC. And I don't think he's so proud he wouldn't do it. But #4 I could see that. I could also see a heavy hitting P5 school hire him to lead their defense next year.

Agree with #2.

Thought that too. I'd love that. I would even love if he stuck around the AD in some capacity, but he's a football coach and definitely will be again, soon, in some capacity.

I say no to this guy.

We NEED a Head Coach, not a coordinator.

(sorry, off my soap box now)
Some high praise for Mike Sanford from one of the best coaches in the country...

“We were looking for was somebody that could turn the room upside down,” Notre Dame HC Brian Kelly explained. “We didn’t want somebody to be equal. We wanted somebody that was going to turn that room upside down, that was that good. We weren’t going to settle for somebody that was on the same plane. We wanted somebody that was going to challenge us on a day‑to‑day basis. Mike does that.”

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/meet-mike-sanford/

IF...we were going after Frost, is it allowable to announce he is taking the job before he leaves Oregon? Sorry for dumb question.

Happens all the time.

There are bowl games where a staff member is the HC for the game because the old coach is moving on every year. Coordinators that are hired out of programs still playing sometimes stay, sometimes leave before the bowl game is played.

I'm arguing that firing a coach before the last game is a low-class move that SS doesn't deserve. The only justification for not waiting a few more days is that you're compelled to do so in order to hire someone stellar .. that can reverse our massive talent deficit. That, you could argue, might serve the greater good. If not, I don't see the justification.
Not really. The worst thing would be for the BC game to go poorly and have the boo birds come out. This way I bet he gets an well deserved ovation. Also, don't forget that Scott needs to get on with his life and the sooner his agent can get out there looking for his next job the better. There really is no time to waste during firing/hiring season.

It's a benefit to Shafer to get the word now, as it positions him to land a DC job at a top school. Like it or not, the coaching carousel starts earlier and earlier now, and he has to look after his own situation also. That's why he pressed for an early decision. He'll be a very attractive DC candidate for a number of guys putting staffs together.

Like others, I feel badly for Shafer, a heart and soul guy if there ever was one, and wouldn't have had a problem with him getting another year. At the same time, though, I completely understand a new AD wanting to put his own stamp on the place, and a 13-23 record overall certainly gives him the justification to do just that. My only hope is that he has the budget to go out and compete for the kind of coach he wants and needs.

Some high praise for Mike Sanford from one of the best coaches in the country...

“We were looking for was somebody that could turn the room upside down,” Notre Dame HC Brian Kelly explained. “We didn’t want somebody to be equal. We wanted somebody that was going to turn that room upside down, that was that good. We weren’t going to settle for somebody that was on the same plane. We wanted somebody that was going to challenge us on a day‑to‑day basis. Mike does that.”

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/meet-mike-sanford/

Brian Kelly belongs in prison. Sanford may be great, and the right guy for us - but BK's opinion should be significantly less important and interesting then Pete Carroll's opinion was in 2005.

A6132.jpg

Brian Kelly belongs in prison. Sanford may be great, and the right guy for us - but BK's opinion should be significantly less important and interesting then Pete Carroll's opinion was in 2005.
Kelly is not discussing Sanford's kindness and decency. He's praising his coaching accumen.

Then why tell him last week? Why not wait .. that was my point.
Why torture the staff and drag it out longer than necessary? Once the decision is made the humane thing is to tell them and not waste time. They will need to move on and hit the job market themselves and stringing them along once the decision had been made only puts them at a disadvantage for other open positions. It would be unfair to do otherwise-

And before anyone says anything, if you think this was a Shafer decision and not a directive from the top, you're crazy. I guarantee that Coyle was the one who made this decision. Coaches who know they're done are potential PR time bombs in a week like this.

another good frost stat

they're 4th in yards per play this year despite a 5:3 run to pass ratio. pass heavy teams usually do better in yards per play because of risk/reward. they're in ohio state/auburn (when they're great)/alabama type territory

i still would love to see an adjusted yards per play that properly weights a rushing yard higher than a passing yard. they'd be the best offense in that stat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom