Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

The big question is the available budget? Anyone know yet? I don't.

It all comes down to budget. To get the guys we're supposedly targeting, we need to double (or really close to it) our budget IMO.

It all comes down to budget. To get the guys we're supposedly targeting, we need to double (or really close to it) our budget IMO.

Would Coyle have taken the AD job without a financial commitment to fix football? I doubt it. I think he knows he has more financial flexibility and is able to upgrade the coaching staff and that's why this move was made. Without a commitment, Coyle wouldn't have accepted the position. Fixing football is his number one priority.

phil77 said:
I hope the new staff makes a call to Acosta. His recruiting of New Jersey is a big deal.

What do you think of him as a coach?

Of course getting fired is worse, but that had to be really difficult to do. Quality cajones.

Bet Coyle in a way felt worse than Shafe, staff and the team, who at least had to feel some relief that the stress and pressure were over. Mark is a true pro - and with guts and class. He'll make good hires. His outreach to the fanbase was real, plus surely he reads this board ;)

I am very impressed that Coyle met both with the entire team and the entire staff. He's clearly a professional, and that will no doubt pay off in his search for a new head coach.

Nice to have an adult running the AD again.

Was he wearing a black leather jacket and hanging with Gait at Club 44?

Very disappointed to see this happen. First of all, BOL to one of the most likable, high-character HC's we've had here in recent memory. SS busted his butt for this program for 7 years. His off-the-field conduct and values were exemplary throughout his tenure.

As for the AD's decision, obviously it comes as no surprise. Declining attendance and 17 losses in the last 21 games created an unsustainable trajectory.

Those realities conceded, I have a few questions for the AD:

1. Why fire the HC before the last game? The timing seems unnecessarily punitive and awkward. If the reason is to get the search going early in order to get the new staff on campus and start focusing on the real problem with the program (talent), then I hope the results are worth it. If not, I'd like to hear an explanation for the timing.
2. Since it does the U no good to fire a coach as a "punishment" for his record, please tell me you're confident the next guy will be significantly better. If you can't do that, you made the wrong decision, or at least you made the decision prematurely.
3. We all know that failing to "go for it" on 4th down, and similar in-game decisions, do not constitute the primary reason for SU's record. Even the casual observer can see that our facilities are not yet at the level of our ACC peers, and obviously we have a colossal talent deficit. So now that you've cast the current staff out, what's your plan to bring our recruiting stream up to ACC levels? If you don't have one, the current cycle will be repeated, what's left of your community support will evaporate and you, yourself, may face the "firing" squad.

Last edited:
No way Miles would even consider going to a new school as AHC/DC, especially if it's at Syracuse.
We are talking about Coach O who is at LS U.

What do you think of him as a coach?

I find it tough to judge a WR Coach there are so many factors that happen that a WR coach has no control over. How many times they throw the ball. Who they throw the ball to. What scheme we are running to get the WR open. I think a WR coach is a good position to have an ace recruiter in because of those factors.

Very disappointed to see this happen. First of all, BOL to one of the most likable, high-character HC's we've had here in recent memory. SS busted his butt for this program for 7 years. His off-the-field conduct and values were exemplary throughout his tenure.

As for the AD's decision, obviously it comes as no surprise. Declining attendance and 17 losses in the last 21 games have created an unsustainable trajectory.

Those realities conceded, I have a few questions for the AD:

1. Why fire the HC before the last game? The timing seems unnecessarily punitive and awkward. If the reason is to get the search going early in order to get the new staff on campus and start focusing on the real problem with the program (talent), then ok. If not, I'd like to hear the explanation.
2. Since it does the U no good to fire a coach as a "punishment" for his record, please tell me you're confident the next guy will be significantly better. If you can't do that, you made the wrong decision, or at least you made the decision prematurely.
3. We all know that failing to "go for it" on 4th down, and the like, do not represent the primary reason for SU's record. Even the casual observer can see that we have a colossal talent deficit vis a viz our ACC peers. So now that you've cast the current staff out, what's your plan to bring our recruiting stream up to ACC levels? If you don't have one, the current cycle will be repeated, what's left of your community support will evaporate and you, yourself, may face the "firing" squad.
He was told last week and it was leaking. Coyle didn't want him twisting in the wind more than he had to - was the respectful thing to do.

He was told last week and it was leaking. Coyle didn't want him twisting in the wind more than he had to - was the respectful thing to do.
Then why tell him last week? Why not wait .. that was my point.

I love that Coyle owned this and addressed the team. TGD would never have done this. I am happy to see we have character in the AD's office again.

You say that now, but if this next hire ends up in the same results, I can see the board turning on the new AD in the same way.

Maybe AD felt ethically he could not start search for new HC without first informing Shafer about his fate?
I don't see how one week makes a difference. If we get someone like Frost/Orgeron then ok. But I'm waiting to see if the end result justifies the rather ugly means here.

We are talking about Coach O who is at LS U.

Yeah, I realized that after IB pointed it out. So many thoughts going on in my head wasn't thinking.

So is the new coach going to get paid more than Boeheim, because he has been giving the university a huge discount for years.

reedny said:
I don't see how one week makes a difference. If we get someone like Frost/Orgeron then ok. But I'm waiting to see if the end result justifies the rather ugly means here.

It's not a big deal at all. Firing is crappy for everyone whenever it happens. Coyle did right by the staff and players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom