Shafer Family | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Family

I met him only once but he was great with me and my boys. I told him that I went to IC, and he asked me what years. When I told him he quickly said how great Coach Butterfield was and that I was there during a great football era at IC (2 national championship games). I really felt that he was 100% engaged in the conversation and really cared about what I was saying. I was sad to see him go, even though I knew that it was the right decision. I will always root for him to succeed. Well, unless he ends up at Rutgers or Penn State! :rolleyes:

The Delaware HC job might be a great spot for SS.

What makes people believe that Shafer would be successful as a head coach at say a school like Cornell when he was terrible here? People act as if a drop in class so to speak will take all the pressure off and he can go 2-10 at Dartmouth and they will be OK with it.

He's a defensive coordinator and a good dude, I get it. Not a head coach at any division 1 level. He stunk here. Strange stuff

Can't agree more on the quality of their character. Any time I got around him with my kids he was great.

My Syracuse man cave was featured in CNY magazine, and right after the release, Gedney called me to get my info for the Shafers. They were so impressed that they wanted to give me a bunch of stuff for my basement since they were (at the time) headed to Maryland, and didn't want some of it. 2 big boxes of stuff. I picked it up at the house, and had a great chat with Missy. I was really overwhelmed. I mean, who does that?

awesome story.

This is accurate, or at least it was when I spoke with Missy. She mentioned it and I said "how'd that go over with coach?"

She said the assistants were protective like uncles, but Dad had no issues "because he knows what kind of kids he recruits".

I always had a feeling that this was the issue with the 5 star TE. It was just a feeling, but it would not surprise me if he made an inappropriate comment regarding her or Jake or all of the above.

Again - was just an icky feeling i had with the TE and not any rumblings I heard. Just didnt understand how it went south so fast so sudden.

I know people like him as a coordinator, but I think he'd be a great head coach at the D2 or D3 level. His kids love him and play hard for him. I could see him having a great deal of success. I think he also takes pride in how they do academically.

And at D3 it can be a lifer position. A place to grow roots and community ties which he excels at.

There have been 8 IC head coaches and 2 over the past what 40 years?

What makes people believe that Shafer would be successful as a head coach at say a school like Cornell when he was terrible here? People act as if a drop in class so to speak will take all the pressure off and he can go 2-10 at Dartmouth and they will be OK with it.

He's a defensive coordinator and a good dude, I get it. Not a head coach at any division 1 level. He stunk here. Strange stuff
He had a D-II staff, which was a big mistake. Would work at D-II.

Really ??? That's awesome!!!

I don't think you can ever find a coach who wants to win more, and do it the right way than Shaf.

Problem is, he couldn't actually win enough.

Great guy. Would love him in my community, But glad he's moved on. Best to him.

While I agree that it is questionable if he is truly HC material for DI, as you know, the Ivy League is overall a different beast. I could see him being successful there with a stout defense if he got the right OC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom