Shafer has his built in excuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer has his built in excuse

yippee yipppeee yippeee

we won against ri- our defense looked great

our offense scored 3 whole times- yipppeeee yipppeeee

man what a great day to be a su football fan

it was frickin rhode island - guys who looked like all americans wont look that way when we play p-5 schools

it was a win but not a dang thing more - we didnt see the start of something special- we just saw a win

and yes now hcss has his built in excuse with T H done and a true freshman qb-

folks its going to be a real long season with few happy moments im afraid

Basically a team of true freshman and sophomores anniliated Rhode Island. How can that not be positive?

True freshman accounted for over 350 yards of offense. True freshman.

He is saying we didn't run it up ... We played as conservative as we could because, well, because it's over Johnny

HCSS called off the dogs after the half

well with a new offense that is a very disturbing thing to do - why not continue to work for scores????????

I don't think Marrone recruited s single offensive playmaker. Can you name one? He certainly did not recruit or draft a QB that was even decent. I feel bad for Hunt but in no way was a good QB.
Jarred West, Jerome Smith or the entire team that won 7 games in 2013. If Hunt is no way a good QB then we shouldn't have any problem still winning 6 games.
Doug Marrone wasn't great at recruiting but he never played an ACC schedule or had an IPF to help his recruiting abilities. Our SS recruiting classes don't even rank in the top half of the ACC.

Dungey showed some potential but against better teams we will not dominate on the ground and that is when we see what he has got. I don't think the Lester system impressed me last night.
We had over 300 rushing yards we flat out classed that team. This injury sucks and I feel for Hunt badly but it gives SS his built in excuse. Brian Pariani led offense scores 47 last night. I mean his offense did the same thing to Buffalo week 2 in 05.

That Rhode Island team was really really bad.

Jarred West, Jerome Smith or the entire team that won 7 games in 2013. If Hunt is no way a good QB then we shouldn't have any problem still winning 6 games.
Doug Marrone wasn't great at recruiting but he never played an ACC schedule or had an IPF to help his recruiting abilities. Our SS recruiting classes don't even rank in the top half of the ACC.
I have no clue what your point is. Jarrod West?

rosconey said:
well with a new offense that is a very disturbing thing to do - why not continue to work for scores????????

Listen, if you're going to post in every positive thread that you still think the team sucks, you're going to have a problem.

I think we all get it, you're not convinced yet. Why don't you start your own thread so we know where you'll be.

Or it could just be that the young players he recruited in the past 2 years are just ridiculously better than most of the ones recruited by the former coach. I think it's fair to say Doug was a terrible recruiter and left the cupboard pretty bare. The players that Shafer has recruited in his 2 recruiting classes are so much better than what Marrone recruited that he has to play them. There is no excuse to not play them.

Why is that fair to say.

Coming from a guy who says that a couple of freshmen are the best skill position players in 20 years based on a game against one of the worst teams in FCS.

You do realize that 1995 was twenty years ago, right?

Alsacs said:
Dungey showed some potential but against better teams we will not dominate on the ground and that is when we see what he has got. I don't think the Lester system impressed me last night. We had over 300 rushing yards we flat out classed that team. This injury sucks and I feel for Hunt badly but it gives SS his built in excuse. Brian Pariani led offense scores 47 last night. I mean his offense did the same thing to Buffalo week 2 in 05. That Rhode Island team was really really bad.

Unsurprising.

I'm encouraged, but still cautious. Shafer said we went very vanilla on O. Dungey knows the whole playbook and can execute it all.

We'll know more next week.

But be careful - I almost mistook your post for a Rosconey. ;)

I have no clue what your point is. Jarrod West?
You knew who I was talking about my Iphone auto changed Jarrod to Jarred and I didn't fix it in time.

This is just a ridiculous statement. How many "Marrone" recruits started on the OL last night, but keep thinking that. And by the way the oldest LB on the team, Vigille, was a Shafer recruit.

They are all Shafer recruits. Christ, it's his third recruiting season as HC, I'd hope he's recruiting better now than when they were coming off of 10-37, an imploding BE, and horrible facilities.

Unsurprising.

I'm encouraged, but still cautious. Shafer said we went very vanilla on O. Dungey knows the whole playbook and can execute it all.

We'll know more next week.

But be careful - I almost mistook your post for a Rosconey. ;)
Our run game will not dominate to that extent it did last night. I already conceded Dungey showed some potential but SS has his built in excuse now.

Or it could just be that the young players he recruited in the past 2 years are just ridiculously better than most of the ones recruited by the former coach. I think it's fair to say Doug was a terrible recruiter and left the cupboard pretty bare. The players that Shafer has recruited in his 2 recruiting classes are so much better than what Marrone recruited that he has to play them. There is no excuse to not play them.
Or it could be that Shafer and his staff had the team very well-prepared to open the season and the team didn't miss a beat when their 1st team, 5th year QB goes down to start the season.

None of those guys were playmakers. They were at best avwrage college players.

How some morons want to turn this into a thread about Marrone is beyond me, but here is the point of the original post, last night was the first game of the 2016 season.

Shafer and Lester now have a lot less "win now" pressure and now have a full season to build this for next year. A lot of young guys on defense to.

I have no problem with a youth movement. It comes with it's cost though.

I'd say with all this one guy on the clock is Joe Adam. This whole thing doesn't work unless the OL develops to support the skill guys. They

You could also argue that Coyle now has an easier road for a decision he may have already wanted to make (something we'll never know).

As we saw last year, being 3-9 and playing a true freshman QB does not a happy fanbase make.

He can use all the young experience as a selling point to potential head coaches.

Go I agree. I thought to OL was meh. More pressure on them now as we're going to be facing more blitzes...

Alsacs said:
Our run game will not dominate to that extent it did last night. I already conceded Dungey showed some potential but SS has his built in excuse now.

Agreed on the running. Though - some of the runs were a result of scheme and will be there next week. Our true freshman QB that Lester and Shafer recruited showed promise but...

By phrasing it as an excuse, you've once again shown that you were hoping they'd fail as coaches.

Why is that fair to say.

Coming from a guy who says that a couple of freshmen are the best skill position players in 20 years based on a game against one of the worst teams in FCS.

You do realize that 1995 was twenty years ago, right?
Yes I believe that Fredricks and Strickland look like th best skill players in the past 20 years. They look to be like they will be NFL Players. They are fantastic athletes that look like some of the best players I have seen here. Certainly the best freshmen that I have seen here. I don't think you can even deny that can you?

Not even the ACC, IPF, and 3 bowl games, but the whole Football facility wasn't completely renovated until 2012. Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

"Built in excuse" kind of sounds like a loaded phrase to me, like someone doesn't care for the staff and is implying that now they can stink again and face no repercussions. But maybe I'm misinterpreting the intent?

"Built in excuse" kind of sounds like a loaded phrase to me, like someone doesn't care for the staff and is implying that now they can stink again and face no repercussions. But maybe I'm misinterpreting the intent?

Agree 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom