Shafer is coming back | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer is coming back

MTSU has an established winning organization with a well traveled OC. I don't think they want to rear it down and build a new one, just bring in a new coach who could get it to a higher level. Lester got a team on a roll and I think he will keep it rollin'.
No disrespect to MTSU. If this well traveled OC doesn't get the HC gig, or an offer even, and they just hand it to the new guy, why would he stay? Sounds a lot like Edsall at SU.

No disrespect to MTSU. If this well traveled OC doesn't get the HC gig, or an offer even, and they just hand it to the new guy, why would he stay? Sounds a lot like Edsall at SU.
He's already over 60, pretty old for a first time HC. Either he would stay on like Foster at VT or one of his assistants would move up. This is my theory why SS would take this job when he has guys like Harbaugh vouching for him and prolly Marrone as well.

He's already over 60, pretty old for a first time HC. Either he would stay on like Foster at VT or one of his assistants would move up. This is my theory why SS would take this job when he has guys like Harbaugh vouching for him and prolly Marrone as well.
I'm not doubting your intel. I believe Shafer has a hunger for another HC spot, and may just have that opportunity in front of him at MTSU. I liked him a lot and wanted to see him succeed at SU, but it just seemed a bit too apparent here that despite being a great guy and D.C. He was in over his head as the HC. All I was suggesting is there are no guarantees (look at Mike Hopkins) and even if he does get that opportunity, there's no assurance the rest of the staff doesn't jump. I think with his son and a few former players on staff he won't get cleaned out, but how many hold overs did he have at SU? I thought Lester was a great hire, and he might have righted the ship on offense with more time, but I don't think he will be available this time around.

I'm not doubting your intel. I believe Shafer has a hunger for another HC spot, and may just have that opportunity in front of him at MTSU. I liked him a lot and wanted to see him succeed at SU, but it just seemed a bit too apparent here that despite being a great guy and D.C. He was in over his head as the HC. All I was suggesting is there are no guarantees (look at Mike Hopkins) and even if he does get that opportunity, there's no assurance the rest of the staff doesn't jump. I think with his son and a few former players on staff he won't get cleaned out, but how many hold overs did he have at SU? I thought Lester was a great hire, and he might have righted the ship on offense with more time, but I don't think he will be available this time around.
Shafer wore his heart on his sleeve, he came off a bit unpolished but you knew where he stood. I think he learned a huge amount about what a heads coach is on SU's dime and I think the next time he will be capable of big thing's.

Shafer wore his heart on his sleeve, he came off a bit unpolished but you knew where he stood. I think he learned a huge amount about what a heads coach is on SU's dime and I think the next time he will be capable of big thing's.
Unless he keeps hiring assistants with his heart instead of his head...

That was his downfall. If he had hired a reputable OC he would still be around in my opinion at least.

But he didn't.

He made an error, who hasn't? His misfortune was being at a place with zero margin for error. My point though, is that he learned from the experience and will double and triple check everything his next go around.

He made an error, who hasn't? His misfortune was being at a place with zero margin for error. My point though, is that he learned from the experience and will double and triple check everything his next go around.
Hey, I'm rooting for Shafe after Sept. 9th...
But- "Who is Joe Adam!?"

That was his downfall. If he had hired a reputable OC he would still be around in my opinion at least.

But he didn't.

he definitely blew it with the OC hiring of GM, but either way Coyle would have dumped him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom