Shafer is coming back | Syracusefan.com

Shafer is coming back

cuseclappy

Winner 2016 SU Football Season Prediction Contest
To the dome this season as the Defensive Coordinator of Middle Tennessee St.

I wonder why MT? Does anyone know if he has connections there?

I don't understand why he isn't at a P5 school since he is an exceptional DC. IMO. It will be fascinating to watch his D try and contain Dungey & Dino's O but it won't be a fair fight.

Regardless I hope he gets a warm welcome from the fans.

I don't understand why he isn't at a P5 school since he is an exceptional DC. IMO. It will be fascinating to watch his D try and contain Dungey & Dino's O but it won't be a fair fight.

I wouldn't arbitrarily discount his ability to do so.

Middle Tennessee State had a great offense and a bad defense last season. Lost to Vanderbilt 47-24 and defeated Missouri 51-45.

They return their QB, who threw for 3233 yards and 31 TDs, a WR Richie James who had 105 catches for 1625 yards and 12 TDs and another WR who had 66 catches for 699 yards and 9 TDs.

Lost their bowl game to Hawaii 52-35. Gave up 108 points in their last 2 games. Yikes.

Could be a really high scoring game...

I wouldn't arbitrarily discount his ability to do so.
I agree but this is the 1st or 2nd game for him installing a new defense with a non P5 roster vs Year 2 of Dino's O so I feel pretty good about the game.

But I do worry about a blitzing defenser KOing Dungey. Somehow that seems like a real possibility.

I agree but this is the 1st or 2nd game for him installing a new defense with a non P5 roster vs Year 2 of Dino's O so I feel pretty good about the game.

But I do worry about a blitzing defenser KOing Dungey. Somehow that seems like a real possibility.
Maybe. We'll see how the OL does.

This is a great hire for MTSU.

That said, if Shafer's defense knocks Dungey out, Shafer can go straight to Hell.

"Now's you can't leave"
IMG_4877.JPG

I don't think Shafer has ever faced an offense from the Baylor/Briles tree. Will be interesting for sure.

Uphill climb though.

- 1st year running his system on D
- Lesser talent
- on the road
- facing an offense in year two with a 3 year starter at QB

The teams that gave Shafer's defenses fits in the past were bubble screen D's that got the ball out quick.

Enter: Dino Babers.

That and the talent level disparity - we'll be fine.

Leaving Maryland out to dry before the 2016 season started probably was cause for concern for other P5 programs.

If his heart is in it MTSU got one hell of a coach. His system should work well with less talented players against less talented programs.

Good luck Coach Shafer but I hope we beat you by 50 at the Dome.

MTSU lost a ton of talent to graduation, year one of a complex defense vs year two of a great offense.

Good for FHCSS...Not going to judge where he decided to reinsert himself back into coaching... That's where he chose to land so that's cool...Wish him and his family well...

On the bright side this is finally true:

"I envision an offense with a lot of juice. A lot of Orange juice...I want this team to be an offensive unit that when you come and watch them play you better not take a bathroom break. Cause there's gonna be a lot of juice on the field."

-SS