Shafer, social media, and Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Shafer, social media, and Syracuse

LetsGoOrange44

Walk On
Pretty simple really:

1. Scott Shafer was entitled to the tirade. Good job to the defense to shut down the 4th down bird flip sent in our direction. Shaf's fire and energy is awesome. Period.

2. Dabo's comments about "Should we take a knee?" earns him cocky, jackhole of the year. Apparently he never heard of a field goal. That happens, nobody is talking about any of this. Dabo had the better horse - this year. Won't always be that way, and he earned no friends in CNY.

3. No social media for football players - ever. Serves no purpose, except to motivate other side. Staff needs to clamp down on this.

4. Syracuse is just fine. Fans packed the house, and we are trending in the right direction. We're not there yet, and Saturday was proof, but the future is bright.

LET'S GO ORANGE!!!

Clemson wanted revenge for the Gator Bowl loss and was trying hard all day to really rub it in. The 4th down call was pretty compelling evidence of their intention. No other reason for a #3 ranked team to make that call with a big lead. They got what they deserved on the field and from HCSS after the play.

Pretty simple really:

1. Scott Shafer was entitled to the tirade. Good job to the defense to shut down the 4th down bird flip sent in our direction. Shaf's fire and energy is awesome. Period.

2. Dabo's comments about "Should we take a knee?" earns him cocky, jackhole of the year. Apparently he never heard of a field goal. That happens, nobody is talking about any of this. Dabo had the better horse - this year. Won't always be that way, and he earned no friends in CNY.

3. No social media for football players - ever. Serves no purpose, except to motivate other side. Staff needs to clamp down on this.

4. Syracuse is just fine. Fans packed the house, and we are trending in the right direction. We're not there yet, and Saturday was proof, but the future is bright.

LET'S GO ORANGE!!!

Huh? Point me to some examples of how this motivated the other team?

Boyd came right out and said he's never heard so much talk from the other side before a game. It got their attention and you can be sure they were plenty motivated to make sure we knew exactly where we stood in the conference.

Pretty simple really:

LET'S GO ORANGE!!!
I disagree. Act like a professional. And Dabo doesn't care if he didn't make any friends in Syracuse. He was playing within the rules. It's our job to keep them out of the endzone, not the clock. It was the 2nd quarter. You may not have liked his call but it wasn't unsportsmanlike. Welcome to the ACC and big boy football. I had no problem with the call. You want to play this card, then tell JB and his boys to stop the dunks after we go up by 20 ok? I agree with the last 2 things you said though. Tomorrow is NC State, forget Dabo and some 2nd quarter call. We are fighting for a minor bowl at this point, Clemson is fighting for a NC, they have moved on and we need to as well. Go Cuse beat NC ST!

Boyd came right out and said he's never heard so much talk from the other side before a game. It got their attention and you can be sure they were plenty motivated to make sure we knew exactly where we stood in the conference.
It wasn't from social media, there were a collection of quotes that were only published on tigernet...

Clemson wanted revenge for the Gator Bowl loss and was trying hard all day to really rub it in. The 4th down call was pretty compelling evidence of their intention. No other reason for a #3 ranked team to make that call with a big lead. They got what they deserved on the field and from HCSS after the play.

Plenty of reasons to make that call:

1. Clemson is playing a conference game on the road. You don't take your foot off the pedal until the 4th qtr. It's not like Clemson tried to score with :15 seconds left in the game. It was only halftime, and anything could have happened in the 2nd half.

2. The #3 team is on the outside of the BCS Championship looking in. How does the #3 team impress enough voters to jump up to #2? By scoring a s**tload of points every week.

In 1998, SU had a 35-7 lead on Rutgers with :15 left before halftime. The last play of the half was a 50 yard TD pass from McNabb to KJ. I guess a 28 point halftime lead against the "girls" wasn't enough. ;)

Also in 1998, McNabb had a 1 yard run against Miami at the end of the 1st half ... to give SU a 45-7 halftime lead. I guess Coach P should have taken a knee. :p

I have no problem with Dabo trying to get 1 more TD before halftime. If the situation was reversed, we'd do the same.

Have no problem with Clemson going for the touchdown before half-time.

Glad they did, failed, bolstered the D's confidence and gave HCSS something to work with in the locker-room.

I'm in the camp that says you don't give the sleeping dog anything to feed on.

If anything, social media used the right way can serve your purposes.

By that, I mean the players can show respect for their opponents to the point where they put them to sleep.

I'm glad our HC cares as much as he does and goes over the top at times, nothing wrong with passion.

Crazy me thinks Clemson might have been motivated by the chance at an undefeated season and not letting a game like this get in the way.

Maybe they weren't really all that motivated and just won that easily anyway.

Just one man's opinion, but this year's version of tweet-gate has been one of the worst topics ever.

Well, when it comes to this stuff, Boyd has the maturity of a child.

Yeah. Let's just get it out there.

Screw the field goal. Worring about running up the score and hurting somebody's feelings, especially in the first half of a league game, should be left behind in Pop Warner.
The offense's job is to score. The defense's job is to stop them from scoring. That's all that needs to be said, especially in a system that rewards blowouts. Just look at all the talk now about how Louisville can't win the championship because it didn't blow out Rutgers, which is generally more highly regarded than Syracuse. A narrow win over Syracuse would have hurt Clemson's chances to play for the national championship.
Any SU fan who's upset with Clemson needs to grow up and shut up.
I'm going to bet most of the complainers were cheering as loud as you can during SU's 23-01 run, or whatever run it was, against North Carolina State in basketball a couple years ago. Should SU have not tried to score as many points as possible in the first half?
Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I shake my head and chuckle when fans/players/coaches whine about teams running up the score in the 4th quarter.

2nd quarter?

Oh boy.

Dabo shouldve gone for it and Shafer shouldve responded the way he did.

pissed i missed this discussion.

Dabo shouldve gone for it and Shafer shouldve responded the way he did.

pissed i missed this discussion.

The discussion was awesome. I felt like a Temple fan.

So can someone fill me in? Here is what I do remember reading:

1. SU player said he likes Hunt over Boyd. Makes sense, stand behind your QB.
2. SU players or coach think they have a chance to win. Makes sense, what else are they going to say.

It is all done and over with but I must have missed something along the way. Were there other tweets by SU players that offended Clemson???

Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom