Should Syracuse football 'Restore 44' for 4-star RB Robert Washington? (PS) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should Syracuse football 'Restore 44' for 4-star RB Robert Washington? (PS)

SUFaninNJ said:
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but in the article did they have to use a picture of an actor portraying a famous 44? I'm sure somewhere in their archives they could have scrounged up a picture of Brown, Davis, Little or even Konrad or Owens. Hell, I'd take a picture of Mandel Robinson or Glenn Moore!
I thought the same thing.

-a0d78cd35b636cc6.jpg

I'm actually a little curious to know what cto thinks on this, since in particular, if I'm not mistaken, she was friendly with Ernie at Syracuse. Floyd wants it back, Jim Brown seems fairly indifferent but leaning toward, "no one can live up to me except Ernie"...but obviously we have no way to know what Ernie would have thought. For that reason, I know I'm certainly curious to hear if Joyce would be able to come up with a best guess, all things considered.

I dunno, but they clearly talked to some highly intelligent fans for this one. I'm convinced!

They didn't manage to send out the tweet without a typo, so I can tell they set the bar high!

Exactly. If it's going to brought back, and it should be, bringing it back for what it was intended for, a recruiting tool. There's gonna be hits and misses. But if it's gonna be brought back to be "earned", then leave it in the rafters. Anyone that doesn't understand that, doesn't understand the legend of 44.

Well said.

Use it the way it was meant to be used - when it was decided not to retire the number following Jim Brown's graduation.

giving it to a senior makes zero sense. It has always been a recruiting tool and it should always be a recruiting tool. The players being recruited who would get 44 are not going to be 1 and 2 star flyers. You hand it out to someone who has earned it with being a highly recruited stud. Kids like rw have earned it already by being a highly sought after recruit with letters from all the big factories and show above average qualities on and off the field. Obviously no one would be in favor of giving some player that has arrest records and is only being recruited by Dayton the 44 jersey. Anyone who is opposed to restoring 44 is out of their minds. It can only help and should be available to lure in a kid otherwise wouldn't look twice at us. #restore44

Well said.

Use it the way it was meant to be used - when it was decided not to retire the number following Jim Brown's graduation.

I can't believe there is any other thought process on this. I am outraged it was initially retired and i'm equally outraged that idiots want to change the parameters to which it should be used. I still have my 44s bar sweatshirt with the story of 44 on the back. This thing is important to restore for RECRUITS.

All these things (along with the dreaded uniform discussion) add up to looking and being a program that should be revered historically.

Floyd is the only one smiling in that photo at the ceremony of retiring the number. Jim looks p!ssed!