Shout out to Taurean... | Syracusefan.com

Shout out to Taurean...

Nick44

All Conference
Won't get the props in this game, but had key buckets, and stayed out of foul trouble!

Man, when was the last time we had a raw 7 footer who could shoot and is this talented offensively as a freshman? If he puts on 20 lbs, learns how to play D and stays out of foul trouble, he becomes a wreaking machine for us in 1-2 years.

John Wallace 2.0

Stayed out of foul trouble because he doesn't play any sort of defense. His offense could turn into an elite skill, but until his defense gets to even below average instead of putrid he's difficult to show a lot of praise to.

Very excited for more Tauren. The best part. We know he's coming back next year. His DF is atrocious, and he doesn't do basic things like put his hands up. I think though it is a better chance of improving on DF than suddenly learning how to shoot 15-20 footers. Plus he's intense and seems to want to learn. If you look back to the beginning of the year, he was never expected to play much. He willed his way into the lineup early, then took advantage of the DC/72 situation. He's not afraid to step up. Dude could easily average 15 next year with the offensive skills, and if he gets to become an average defensive player, even better

One of the best shooting freshmen we've ever had. One of the best shooting big guys we've ever had. Best off-hand lefty finisher since Devo.

He's extremely robotic with some of his movements when a lane isn't there but hopefully that'll get better and quicker with time. He's still able to get decent shots off and never seems to rush a shot that might not be there.

I just hope he gets a lot better on the glass and really figures out how to play the middle of the zone. If that happens, he's an All-ACC first teamer and possible All-American.

He is SO skilled offensively. Huge 1H. But, wow, he loves to watch opposing players rebound right next to him.

He's definitely a negative on defense including rebounding... but its getting a little better each game I think. It's sure starting to look like we have more to worry about TT being drafted "on potential" than Lydon or Battle. Yes that seems like a crazy thought but if you only watched the last few games could argue that he was the NBA prospect.

He's definitely a negative on defense including rebounding... but its getting a little better each game I think. It's sure starting to look like we have more to worry about TT being drafted "on potential" than Lydon or Battle. Yes that seems like a crazy thought but if you only watched the last few games could argue that he was the NBA prospect.

It is hard to tell with him. He has a great left hand around the rim, crafty, and can shoot. I think NBA PFs would be rejecting all his stuff near the rim. He doesn't have much lift. His best chance would be to develop into a stretch 4, IMO. Maybe next year he will showcase that more.

"One of the best shooting freshmen we've ever had. One of the best shooting big guys we've ever had."

he's been fantastic on the offensive end. my one quibble would be that he's a bit of a black hole. he outshoots our lottery pick 2:1 lately.

When was the last time Jim had a big that came in ready offensively but lacking defensively? I have to believe this is a good problem to have. As long as he has the willingness to learn, the staff would much prefer this than the other way around.

Even the best centers we have had over the years... Otis, Etan, AO, Rak, Fab, etc. They all looked like they didn't really know how to play basketball offensively as freshmen. It's so strange having a guy with a refined game. TT can be an all-ACC player.

He just needs to stop taking naps on defense a half dozen times per game and all will be well.

"One of the best shooting freshmen we've ever had. One of the best shooting big guys we've ever had."

he's been fantastic on the offensive end. my one quibble would be that he's a bit of a black hole. he outshoots our lottery pick 2:1 lately.
Well he is shooting 54% on the year.

I would prefer he keeps his aggressiveness and hope our lottery pick gets more aggressive to match TT.

The larger percentage of the shots come from TT, Lydon, White, Battle, the better our chances at scoring (and winning).

I appreciate the games Gillon has picked us up but if we are relying on him, Howard or god forbid Roberson, for offensive points then we are are in a tough spot imo.

I appreciate his offensive abilities, but this guy is going to frustrate the heck out of me the entire time he's at SU, I just know it. That inbounds play last night in the second half where he allowed Jefferson to catch the ball under the hoop was infuriating. No way should a center ever allow that to happen. Then he just gave up the layup when he should have blocked the hell out of that ball. And the and-1 play he allowed was awful as well. If you are going to foul, get the ball. No old-school 3-point plays allowed.

Well he is shooting 54% on the year.

I would prefer he keeps his aggressiveness and hope our lottery pick gets more aggressive to match TT.

The larger percentage of the shots come from TT, Lydon, White, Battle, the better our chances at scoring (and winning).

I appreciate the games Gillon has picked us up but if we are relying on him, Howard or god forbid Roberson, for offensive points then we are are in a tough spot imo.

As JB says, we go as John Gillon goes. We have to rely on him. Never put him in the same bucket as Howard & Roberson.

As for our lottery pick, I wonder. He had only 1 made 3, and 2 made inside shots, in 40 minutes. Why? He does not have much of an offensive game. Great shooter when open; great team player.

As JB says, we go as John Gillon goes. We have to rely on him. Never put him in the same bucket as Howard & Roberson.

As for our lottery pick, I wonder. He had only 1 made 3, and 2 made inside shots, in 40 minutes. Why? He does not have much of an offensive game. Great shooter when open; great team player.

I never said we didn't need to rely on Gillon. I said we are better off if we didn't need to rely on Gillon's POINTS.

Gillon's ball handling, setting up/running the offense, distributing, and scoring just enough to keep the defense honest. That is my take on a perfect contribution from Gillon.

As for Lydon, most of his scoring came on moves in the paint (not outside shooting), after he was appropriately fed the ball, where he was 2-5. My comment was that we were better off if Lydon shot MORE not less so I don't know why you would think I thought it was good he only had 6 shots. In addition Lydon was our leading rebounder with 9 boards, 2x as many as the next leading rebounder in a game where we lost the rebounding margin by 8. Indeed, if he doesnt grab that last rebound, Gillon is unlikely to have his heroics.

My original points stands, that we are better off on average getting Lydon (and TT/Battle/White) more shots and less for Gillon although Gillon is important in other ways.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom