Shrader Breakdown Video | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader Breakdown Video

Historically we are at our best when we have a QB who can create off a broken play or some other type of breakdown. I’m pretty excited we finally have options for a backup QB. Not that I don’t like Tommy, but we need multiple back up options
Every team not named Alabama and Clemson is.

It’s absurd for any team to not move with the new wave of Quarterbacking, let alone one that recruits like us right now.

You mean like this? I know we don't agree on much but in this regard we do, the comments here are a bit much. It's 3 plays in that video. Check out the 1:00 mark. He steps up in the pocket, makes a perfect throw. Based on THIS video then TD should be the clear starter. Were those clips of Shredder against 1's or 2's? It's going to take alot more than 3 clips to have me clamoring for TD to step down.

I agree. People are getting too excited about a few plays broken down here but I do think most of them have watched GS full season highlights. Some people forget TD had some good moments. He can throw the ball when he has time. I still think his intangibles are the issue. That will cost him his job if he doesnt improve.

Last edited:
I agree. People are getting too excited about a few plays broken down here but I do think most of them have watched GS full season highlights. Some people forget TD had some good moments. He can throw the ball when he has time. I still think his intangibles is the issue. That will cost him his job if he doesnt improve.
I feel bad for him, but I’d be shocked if he’s a better option than anyone mobile that can throw the ball moderately well.

I mean, Kyle Trask would probably suck in that offense we rolled out last year. Its not all on TD, but unless I’m about to be shocked this season, we don’t have the talent to have a pocket passer standing back there… let alone one who has started seeing ghosts at times.

I feel bad for him, but I’d be shocked if he’s a better option than anyone mobile that can throw the ball moderately well.

I mean, Kyle Trask would probably suck in that offense we rolled out last year. Its not all on TD, but unless I’m about to be shocked this season, we don’t have the talent to have a pocket passer standing back there… let alone one who has started seeing ghosts at times.
We have to have a QB who can make decisions on the move.

Agree. TD just has the upper hand right now because of game experience with the offense. He can do some good things with his arm. I just wish he would learn how to make plays when things break down. Make something happen. Keep the chains moving. Its either there for him or we are punting the ball away.

By explosive, I meant first two or three steps out of the pocket.
Yup. Taj Harris is a fast guy and he said Shrader is fast. That says a lot coming from him. Dungey was not slow but fast wouldnt be the first word used to describe him.

Agree. TD just has the upper hand right now because of game experience with the offense. He can do some good things with his arm. I just wish he would learn how to make plays when things break down. Make something happen. Keep the chains moving. Its either there for him or we are punting the ball away.
I am not really sure TD has that much of an upper hand right now. Similar system but Gilbert has different twists I’m hoping that we’re not implemented last year. TD only played four games last year. Morgan almost played as many. Sharder has been here since January. If he came in July I would say TD has the upper hand.
By the first game Sharder will have been with the team and Gilbert 9 months.

I am not really sure TD has that much of an upper hand right now. Similar system but Gilbert has different twists I’m hoping that we’re not implemented last year. TD only played four games last year. Morgan almost played as many. Sharder has been here since January. If he came in July I would say TD has the upper hand.
By the first game Sharder will have been with the team and Gilbert 9 months.
Not sure how you can say that when Shrader hasnt played a game with SU yet. TD has 3 years of game play in a veer and shoot offense. GS has been here for 9 months. You dont know how Shrader is going to react in a game with new coaches and team mates. Now GS might out perform TD despite that but to say he doesnt have the upper hand is not true. DIno has said it himself. We can only hope GS has caught up. We cant assume he has just because he was an early enrollee.

Last edited:
If the world worked like an NCAA video game, Schrader would probably get the nod.
It doesn't. Don't underestimate the relationship factor, Dino knows DeVito, his most touted recruit has been in the fold the last 4 years.
I'm convinced it's why REX held on last year for so long despite his obvious lack of talent.
Coaches are people, not football computers. Ya'll might not like it, hell personally I think DeVito is an awful fit for this roster, but I'd be stunned if he doesn't get the first crack at things this season.

Nice breakdown video. Thanks for sharing.
Pretty positive breakdown from a channel called, QB Spotlight. He doesn't know the offense as well and doesn't throw the ball as well but he seems to be better at not getting sacked and has some Dungey qualities. It'll be a good battle in August. I think DeVito starts but Shredder will play against Ohio

Historically over the last 30 plus years our best qbs have been mobile. Nassib one year was an outlier. The qbs we had in the 80 and 90 were option based but I just think how much they would have also excelled in our current system.
Philcox, but that proves your point

You mean like this? I know we don't agree on much but in this regard we do, the comments here are a bit much. It's 3 plays in that video. Check out the 1:00 mark. He steps up in the pocket, makes a perfect throw. Based on THIS video then TD should be the clear starter. Were those clips of Shredder against 1's or 2's? It's going to take alot more than 3 clips to have me clamoring for TD to step down.

Definitely some nice TD highlights for sure but one thing I’d say about this video is it seems like Tristan Jackson is on the receiving end of about 90% of those passes.

Pretty positive breakdown from a channel called, QB Spotlight. He doesn't know the offense as well and doesn't throw the ball as well but he seems to be better at not getting sacked and has some Dungey qualities. It'll be a good battle in August. I think DeVito starts but Shredder will play against Ohio.

I like him

Definitely some nice TD highlights for sure but one thing I’d say about this video is it seems like Tristan Jackson is on the receiving end of about 90% of those passes.
When target #1 catches everything, you throw it to him

still. there are plays breaking down.. and there are plays where 3-4 guys run free at the QB.. if this offense is all about which QB handles that its already failed.. if we can run better we can use the offense as intended.

Nice job.
I'm no QB guru, but one thing that stood out to me is that Shrader tends to lock-in on his primary target. When the receiver isn't open, Shrader either tucks the ball and runs, or makes a questionable throw.
Sounds familiar minus the running.

He really struggles on 3rd and 4th down. He seems tighter than a drum in these situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom