Shrader | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader

This is one of many reasons I’ve lost faith in this coaching staff. Run your running QB, especially if his throwing arm is shot. If they’re not going to do that because that’s not their game plan (or can’t because he’s hobbled) then they might as well play Carlos.

I’m in no way saying that I think Carlos is the answer at QB, but if they’re going to continue to not run their running QB and instead call drop back pass plays, then at least go with the QB that has a throwing arm that’s in one piece.
I agree. Schrader is now only a running QB that can't throw, unless it is a slant and you and I could throw that. Carlos has a gun for a arm and more accurate only problem is he doesn't have Schrader's wheels and he needs more experience. I can't wait till we get that Jakhari Williams kid here. They say he has a strong arm and pretty accurate. Oh and he has a good set of wheels. Just hoping he is the chosen one.

Last edited:
and every year Shrader must be hurt instead just not that good.
Just rewatched the game in detail. This is the worst OL and performance(s) I’ve ever seen in my entire sporting life following the sport. The only one this close to being this bad is my own colleges 1981 team on the way to an 0-9 season. Joe Montana would look virtually the same as Shrader has.

If one is looking as to the whys and how’s you start there and then add in the other factors discussed here.

The one thing I will say in a critical fashion is that he doesn’t seem to be a good “leader”. Dude is so chill, he’ll be a great pilot someday as a result of and by being so chill, reserved and cool under fire, but that quality isn’t working well as a needed leader in the circumstances he and his team are facing.

This as I see no even part time/occasional fiery or even animated leadership skills that are needed in these circumstances. Kind of like Dino. But I digress…

Last edited:
Watch the games again he hasn't thrown well all year.
i have obviously watched them all. He was throwing the ball far better the first 4 games. Something happened at the end of the Purdue game when you can clearly see him shaking his hand and having it massaged. He has lost all his velocity and accuracy since then.

Last edited:
The issue is that we rely on GS to ball out in every game for our offense to be effective. You know those runs where we are like this guy has balls.

The offensive line is struggling, and the wide receiver group is poor. Often, GS finds himself under pressure, which disrupts his timing and decision-making. He tends to hold onto the ball for too long, leading to sacks, primarily because there isn't sufficient separation among the receivers, and he's attempting to do too much.

Just rewatched the game in detail. This is the worst OL and performance(s) I’ve ever seen in my entire sporting life following the sport. The only one this close to being this bad is my own colleges 1981 team on the way to an 0-9 season. Joe Montana would look virtually the same as Shrader has.

If one is looking as to the whys and how’s you start there and then add in the other factors discussed here.

The one thing I will say in a critical fashion is that he doesn’t seem to be a good “leader”. Dude is so chill, he’ll be a greata pilot someday as a result of and by being so chill, reserved and cool under fire, but that quality isn’t working well as a needed leader in the circumstances he and his team are facing.

This as I see no even part time/occasional fiery or even animated leadership skills that are needed in these circumstances. Kind of like Dino. But I digress…
Absolutely right on both observations. Losing Wohlabaugh may have been one of the biggest injuries of the season. Not to pick on Petry because the whole OL gets demolished, but this is Tommy Devito OL issues. I also know it's not in his nature, but I would like to see Shrader get fired up one time. When we're flat it doesn't help that he has a calm demeanor. I would like to see some fire and then again maybe that's why Alford is a captain who I haven't seen much leadership from either. What a waste of a cake schedule. Next year is even easier and I have a feeling unless we can get a really good portal QB we will be in serious trouble.

I agree. Schrader is now only a running QB that can't throw, unless it is a slant and you and I could throw that. Carlos has a gun for an arm and more accurate only problem is he doesn't have Schrader's wheels and more expensive. I can't wait till we get that Jakhari Williams kid here. They say he has a strong arm and pretty accurate. Oh and he has a good set of wheels. Just hoping he is the chosen one.
Not sure that his accuracy is that much better.

Here's the thing, you and I have had disagreements about Shrader, but one thing I'll 100% concede, even if you think he's hurt, then he's just an injury-prone player.

He's not protecting himself when he's exposed as part of the problem, I'm sure.

I've defended Shrader, but the best predictor of future injuries is past injuries, and he's just on that track. He's a big target when he takes off and he's already getting hit behind a bad OL.

Doesn't matter if he's not playing well because he's hurt or he's not playing well because his limited throwing is just what it is -- it's the reality right now. And it's making a bad situation worse.
False. Shrader didn't start over Devito. Healthy Shrader is a far better college QB in the Cuse system.

Yea none of the current QB's are the answer. We need a portal savior in the worst way. Up until this year Pitt always seems to be able to get someone. That is the one position where getting a backup isn't all that bad since only 1 guy plays.
Even if they aren’t the answer why let them use up scholarships if they don’t play when Garrett is this terrible?

Part of me thinks Dino doesn’t want them to do well because people will scream they should have started from week 1. Both guys were in SEC programs.

Since the Purdue game I have never witnessed QB play as bad as this yet people are just shrugging off the backups.

They’re both fast and mobile that alone should be enough considering the OL issues. I’ll consider attending Pitt if I know it won’t be an injured shell shocked Shrader.

Yea none of the current QB's are the answer. We need a portal savior in the worst way. Up until this year Pitt always seems to be able to get someone. That is the one position where getting a backup isn't all that bad since only 1 guy plays.

Fun thread to revisit.

Even if they aren’t the answer why let them use up scholarships if they don’t play when Garrett is this terrible?

Part of me thinks Dino doesn’t want them to do well because people will scream they should have started from week 1. Both guys were in SEC programs.

Since the Purdue game I have never witnessed QB play as bad as this yet people are just shrugging off the backups.

They’re both fast and mobile that alone should be enough considering the OL issues. I’ll consider attending Pitt if I know it won’t be an injured shell shocked Shrader.
Any coach wants his players to do well, especially if his job is on the line.

Anybody know what the injury is with Shrader? Concussion just being diagnosed after Clemson hit? He looked foggy for weeks.

I don’t buy this. Even if he can’t hit the broadside of a barn with his arm all the time (which isn’t true) he was elite on the ground. That doesn’t just evaporate.
Problem though is when the threat of the passing game dissipates because it’s ineffective and the D dedicates a spy to him, he isn’t as close to being productive.

Anybody know what the injury is with Shrader? Concussion just being diagnosed after Clemson hit? He looked foggy for weeks.
My understanding is he is not able to throw. His arm strength has been weak from the start of the season and has gotten progressively worse.

Whatever that surgery was they elected to do in the spring was not the answer. I think it made a bad situation worse.

My understanding is he is not able to throw. His arm strength has been weak from the start of the season and has gotten progressively worse.

Whatever that surgery was they elected to do in the spring was not the answer. I think it made a bad situation worse.
I’d be surprised if we see him again. If his arm isn’t right and it’s related to the surgery then it doesn’t seem likely that he’ll be good to go after 1 week off.

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if we see him again. If his arm isn’t right and it’s related to the surgery then if doesn’t seem likely that he’ll be good to go after 1 week off.
I don’t think he is expected back the rest of this season but hope that is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom