Shy Cullen to the Supplemental Draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shy Cullen to the Supplemental Draft

What a shame. Why is Shy ineligible? Because he failed a class? Why can’t he make it up? What did Shy do that was so horrible he loses a year of eligibility?

The NCAA has a lot of stuff they need to review and be vigilant about. College sports can’t operate without them providing needed oversights to prevent abuses and keep the playing field level.

But what purpose does it serve to rule Shy lost a whole year of eligibility here? Shouldn’t the NCAA be encouraging players who screw up academically to make amends and hopefully eventually graduate?

I just don’t understand this.

Good luck to Shy. I hope he can overcome this. I know this: Shy was one of the top 5 special team players i college football last season. If only for that reason, he has a great chance to make an NFL roster in 2019.

It looks like their progress toward degree policy. It's supposed to help, but in this case, it's the very thing keeping him from it, or at least my guess. Total BS. Best of luck to Shy.

It's impossible to know without being close to him or the family, but it always sounded like he was a hard working man that had a lot to overcome. Resilience may be the most important trait to be a success in life. If that's true, Shy will be great. I wish him luck. If the supplemental draft doesn't work out this year, I hope he comes back for pro day next year.

Yes he owns some of the blame but there was a hell of a lot more to go around.
Really? In what way does being disqualified academically fall anywhere but on the student athlete. Every D-1 P5 school has tremendous academic support programs available. Some even have tutors who write papers.

Thanks everyone. It’s been a hard few weeks. First I will say yes it falls on shy for failing. We don’t place blame anywhere. We knew coming in shy had a tough time with school and it would be a struggle. He is really upset he didn’t get to return and play with his team this fall.
We are hoping he can get a small pro day together with a few teams who need special teams help. I think if teams see him run drills and watch some of his tape they will see the value of giving him a shot at a camp. From there he will need to show he can play any position they want him to. First up is finding how he can get his petition to the league filed. It’s crazy how hard things like this are.

Thanks everyone. It’s been a hard few weeks. First I will say yes it falls on shy for failing. We don’t place blame anywhere. We knew coming in shy had a tough time with school and it would be a struggle. He is really upset he didn’t get to return and play with his team this fall.
We are hoping he can get a small pro day together with a few teams who need special teams help. I think if teams see him run drills and watch some of his tape they will see the value of giving him a shot at a camp. From there he will need to show he can play any position they want him to. First up is finding how he can get his petition to the league filed. It’s crazy how hard things like this are.

Best of luck to Shy. We’ll miss him on the field and we all hope he gets a chance in the pros. He deserves it.

Good luck. Hope he gets a shot with a team and if there is any way possible to get back and get an SU degree, that would be great for the resume for the future.

Best of luck. Keep us posted and don't be a stranger.

Shy is the man, good luck in the future. Also, in my opinion Bambrewer has been a great addition to this forum and has been as level headed as a parent whos son is playing big time football can be. Thanks for always keeping us updated.

Best of luck to Shy! It's too bad things didn't work out differently at SU, but if he works as hard to make his dream come true as he did overcoming the obstacles he faced early in life, I am sure he will succeed in life.

Please don't be a stranger, Bambrewer

The article about this indicated that SU has to submit paperwork, in order for Shy to be eligible for the supplemental draft. Hopefully, the administration will work to make this happen.

Bam, thanks for bringing all of us along for the ride through Shy's career at SU. I wish it would have ended better, but I will always be rooting for Shy to make his dream come true.

On the academic side, I hope he manages to eventually complete his degree. Good luck to you both.

Crushed by this. Shy was easily my favorite player on the team. Ithurts to use the past tense discussing him.

I think the reason Jamel got that big bonus as a free agent signee was because of his prowess playing special teams and while Custis was a very good special teams player, Shy was extraordinary here.

I wish him and the whole family only the best. There has to be a smart MFL team out there that values special teams and will take advantage of this situation to get a future star. And with Shy's athletic ability and work ethic, he can help teams in other ways too.

Thanks for everything you've contributed to this forum. Taking full responsibility for his academic shortfall (it's not a failure, just a setback), despite the obstacles he has faced, shows Shy's/your level of character. That's a trait missing in too many people today. Good luck to you and Shy. I hope you stick around and I would love to see Shy be able to come back in some type of S&C role when he decides his playing days are over.

Bam it’s been great talking with u guys and I think teams will know who he is because of the special teams but I think he can stick at lb too. Gonna miss him this year. Bigtime.

How do you get blindsided by the ncaa eligibility. Who dropped the ball? Pissed for shy who thought he was doing all the right things to work his way back

Well, you *don't* get blindsided. The semester just ended, and he probably didn't get sufficient grades on the credits he required.

I feel bad for the young man, but all he had to do was stay eligible. That's nobody else's fault.
I wish him all the best, and hope he gets a fair shot at an NFL roster. Big loss.

Well, you *don't* get blindsided. The semester just ended, and he probably didn't get sufficient grades on the credits he required.

I feel bad for the young man, but all he had to do was stay eligible. That's nobody else's fault.
I wish him all the best, and hope he gets a fair shot at an NFL roster. Big loss.
No. That isn't why he is NCAA ineligible. Has nothing to do with this semester.

They can, in the fall. Some take less classes. They do it an attempt to get more than 5 hours of sleep, or go 9 hours without eating, after they're up At 5. Have 1 class you struggle in, and now you're toast.

Who was the QB that recently said College football, and College are not compatible? It is, but it's harder than folks may think. One misstep can destroy the whole thing.

Who was the QB that recently said College football, and College are not compatible?
It was Rosen. Yuck. But the point may be valid.

"Human beings don't belong in school with our schedules. No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school. "

The whole story of you actually want it is he was late getting signed up for his internship. He signed up with one place but couldn’t make the hours work. He switched to a different place in late October. He did not get enough hours. He had planned to do most them in December but with practice for the bowl and his other classes he didn’t get enough hours. Still his fault don’t get me wrong. Unfortunately it was the only class counting as progressing towards his degree.. he would have taken psychology in the spring as his only class and his second internship in the fall. Along with other filler classes to have enough credits. We didn’t find out he didn’t pass the internship till the end of January and didn’t realize failing it would make him ineligible. It wasn’t until a couple weeks ago that we found out he was ineligible.

It was Rosen. Yuck. But the point may be valid.

"Human beings don't belong in school with our schedules. No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school. "

Total curiosity to understand why someone wouldn’t care for him but why the yuck? I’ve always been a relative fan of his especially with the actual work and research he’s put in providing a solution to problems that 100% exist.

The whole story of you actually want it is he was late getting signed up for his internship. He signed up with one place but couldn’t make the hours work. He switched to a different place in late October. He did not get enough hours. He had planned to do most them in December but with practice for the bowl and his other classes he didn’t get enough hours. Still his fault don’t get me wrong. Unfortunately it was the only class counting as progressing towards his degree.. he would have taken psychology in the spring as his only class and his second internship in the fall. Along with other filler classes to have enough credits. We didn’t find out he didn’t pass the internship till the end of January and didn’t realize failing it would make him ineligible. It wasn’t until a couple weeks ago that we found out he was ineligible.
Thanks for sharing, Bam. I know this has to be a difficult time. Brighter days are ahead.

cant do an internship during the summer?