SI article on Coyle with other finalist name. | Syracusefan.com

SI article on Coyle with other finalist name.

Shafer doesn't win this year and he's done. That's how I read it.
Actually, it sounded to me like we are in line for a state of the art grass practice field . . . .

His comments.

Ok, was guessing you were basing it on that. He said all the right things for the time period, wouldn't have expected him to come in and throw dynamite in the press conference. His comments today will have zero impact on decisions made at the end of the season, depending on how the season goes. Guaranteed.

qdawgg said:
Ok, was guessing you were basing it on that. He said all the right things for the time period, wouldn't have expected him to come in and throw dynamite in the press conference. His comments today will have zero impact on decisions made at the end of the season, depending on how the season goes. Guaranteed.

Yep. Not enough there for either camp to say one or the other.

It does sound like these guys value the same stuff. Sometimes that kind of bond can lead to a longer leash.

An AD who hired the FB coach will definitely provide a long leash. This is not the case.

Being a nice guy doesn't keep you employed in coaching. Some of the biggest are the best coaches, unfortunately.

You can have a lot of strong points and not win games. Winning games is all that matters.

He will get "leash" if the program as a whole is making improvements. But don't think for a second that the offensive stats/rankings from last year followed by the hire of Lester without even looking to see what else was available; isn't a cause for some concern/questions.

I have no doubt that our new AD will recognize and appreciate HCSS strong points thus leading to a long leash, barring an 0-12 season. YMMV.
IMHO 4 wins I think he is safe (RI, CMU and WF/UVA and USF). 3 wins is going to have to be a judgment call depending on external/internal factors. 0-2 wins I don't want to think about it. Personally I see 5-7 wins...

IMHO 4 wins I think he is safe (RI, CMU and WF/UVA and USF). 3 wins is going to have to be a judgment call depending on external/internal factors. 0-2 wins I don't want to think about it. Personally I see 5-7 wins...

Agreed. There are a few factors that will play into a season where we only win a marginal amount of games. But if we are in the 2 - 3 area, lack of wins will be the deciding factor.

qdawgg said:
An AD who hired the FB coach will definitely provide a long leash. This is not the case. Being a nice guy doesn't keep you employed in coaching. Some of the biggest are the best coaches, unfortunately. You can have a lot of strong points and not win games. Winning games is all that matters. He will get "leash" if the program as a whole is making improvements. But don't think for a second that the offensive stats/rankings from last year followed by the hire of Lester without even looking to see what else was available; isn't a cause for some concern/questions.

Yeah - def cause for some concern. But they have a chance to alleviate them somewhat.

Winning games is all that matters eventually. If the offense moves up into the 60's but the defense slides to the 50's and we win 5 games? That's an improvement, no?

If I were an AD, my list would be like this:

1. W/L
2. Recruiting prowess
3. Shared values like education, integrity, leadership

By my count, Shafer just needs some W's

What does it say that he offered up a little more info on football and completely avoided the basketball question?

Silly to draw any conclusions from this article though.

Soooo glad we didn't hire that Ohio State guy

It means that despite the public statements, Coyle has been tasked to make football one of his immediate priorities, and that with Hopkins taking over for Boeheim whenever he retires, there hasn't been a ton of time spent discussing hoops at this point.

Who's our QB when Hunt leaves? That's a guaranteed 3 win season, may as well let a new coach cut his teeth with that season.

It means that despite the public statements, Coyle has been tasked to make football one of his immediate priorities, and that with Hopkins taking over for Boeheim whenever he retires, there hasn't been a ton of time spent discussing hoops at this point.

Well they should discuss basketball, it's in the elite club and he better not ruin it.

Football on he other hand. Let's hope we have more success than Kentucky. You can't just flip a switch.

The one thing I heard loud and clear is "you have to win." Coyle will do what he thinks is necessary for football to win.

Shafer's contract expires (assuming 2016) at a very convenient time for IowaMark. Takes very little for him to let it run out if he wants an FNG. That way he has given Shafer a reasonable time to show something as well as time to get his feet under him in his new job.

Baring an absolute disaster this season, I think Shafer will be here in 2016. After that, who knows?.