Silent G at the 2, Cooney as 6th Man... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Silent G at the 2, Cooney as 6th Man...

The weird thing is that it's not an athleticism problem. He's more explosive than GMac and Rautins, but those guys were able to get open more often it seems.

Good point. It might be more a question of handle and first step. Because he's a solid defender and shows lateral quickness in that capacity.

They were also GOOD SHOOTERS lol. I don't get why people think Cooney is a good shooter? Because he's a white shooting guard who by default must be a good shooter?

Cooney looked so overmatched physically and talent wise last night meanwhile G looked like the best player on the court when he was out there.

I have a feeling this board is going to collectively lose it's mind if G doesn't take the starting spot away from Cooney or Roberson.

This is so true. White guy...must be a shooter right? Truth is, i would rather have a handful of guys shooting right now before Cooney. Cooney last night looked so bad, it was unreal. Reminded me of an our of shape guy trying to D up on a former college guy at the local YMCA.

If we're talking about open, in-rhythm threes - I'll take Cooney up against almost anyone in the country.

He simply doesn't get those shots. Defenses are only allowing him to take rushed, forced shots coming off screens at full speed, or off the dribble (where he's arguably worse).

He would be great in a Lee Humphrey role on those Florida teams, but we ask (and need) him to do so much more.

They were also GOOD SHOOTERS lol. I don't get why people think Cooney is a good shooter? Because he's a white shooting guard who by default must be a good shooter?

Cooney looked so overmatched physically and talent wise last night meanwhile G looked like the best player on the court when he was out there.

I have a feeling this board is going to collectively lose it's mind if G doesn't take the starting spot away from Cooney or Roberson.

When Gerry McNamara says a guy shoots better than him, I'm going to take his word for it. I know that's in practice, and it hasn't always translated to in game production, but anybody who can drop 9 threes in a game is a shooter.

Cooney's shooting has been lack-luster and disappointing but going 2-6 last night from 3pt range isn't exactly worthy of getting him bathed in flame. If anything we should be looking at BJ's 0-8 shooting performance, Joseph's .75 Assist to Turnover ratio or Rak limiting himself to 23 minutes because he couldn't stay out of foul trouble. That's what alarms me.

The only highlight I saw from last nights game was Gbinije's aggressiveness of offense which gives me some hope.
It wasn't just his shooting, for me it was how physically outmatched he was. Getting owned when he tried to take it to the hoop, bad fouls and allowing an And1 when the Cal guy just dumptrucked through him like Lebron.

When Cooney wasn't fading away yesterday, he hit both of his shots. He really isn't getting any room out there and he has to find a way to make some, or Joseph has to do some drive and dish.

Yes he is. He's a shooting guard who isn't able to SHOOT. Thats a huge problem.
You can't shoot the ball when you don't have a PG that can't get you the ball. Hell, you can't run an offense with a PG who is unable to run it. Did you see that mess last night? No rythem, no flow, no transition to our O game and that starts with the PG. Joseph isn't even close to leading this team...like deer in the headlights look not even close. And he has no clue how to play Zone D either...he is a project at this time.

You can't shoot the ball when you don't have a PG that can't get you the ball. Hell, you can't run an offense with a PG who is unable to run it. Did you see that mess last night? No rythem, no flow, no transition to our O game and that starts with the PG. Joseph isn't even close to leading this team...like deer in the headlights look not even close. And he has no clue how to play Zone D either...he is a project at this time.
Agreed with that. Cal's starting backcourt was so much better than ours. Joseph/Cooney would barely get playing time on that team.

i think we all agree that Joseph isnt ready. He wasnt supposed to have to be... no one in their worst nightmares would have ever though Ennis was a 1 and done. If we had Ennis this year, i think this is a top 10 team. He would get our guys in good positions to score. that was his knack.

is this such a bad idea? I would honestly rather have Mike shooting right now than Trevor... and he just seems to be more aggressive this year and have more confidence. Cooney can be first man in, and G slides down to replace Roberson. Anyone who questions Cooney here is thought of as a "hater", but in reality we just want to have some semblance of an offense.

You cant start each game 5 on 4. Cooney has become his own worst enemy and its getting scary now. He never drives the paint, ever. Gotta mix things up because when u are a catch and shoot player and cant make more than 25%, thats no good...

I think Rak is much improved. I think Mike is much improved. I think McCollough is VERY good.
But without Trevor getting better, we are a bubble team,

Right now our season rests on the shoulders of Kaleb Joseph. If he doesn't start running the offense better it wouldn't matter if our 2 guard was Michael Jordan. Unforced turnovers and bad decision after bad decision are not what we need from the only true point guard on our roster. He's young and will get better, hopefully sooner rather than later.

When Cooney wasn't fading away yesterday, he hit both of his shots. He really isn't getting any room out there and he has to find a way to make some, or Joseph has to do some drive and dish.
I think his problem is his work off-the-ball. His only "move" to get open seems to be to run in circles around the court. He doesn't seem to ever cut, stop-and-go, etc. He just runs his own weave through the half-court. That is easy to defend against. It's unusual to see a guy over 6' struggle this much to get an open look. He would probably be better off just standing in one spot.

Right now our season rests on the shoulders of Kaleb Joseph. If he doesn't start running the offense better it wouldn't matter if our 2 guard was Michael Jordan. Unforced turnovers and bad decision after bad decision are not what we need from the only true point guard on our roster. He's young and will get better, hopefully sooner rather than later.

i do not disagree with this. its too bad we didnt bring in a transfer who could run the team for a year. there were guys out there.

If Gbinije takes anyone's spot in the starting lineup, I think we all know it won't be Joseph's spot or Cooney's spot.

And right now, by the way, I'm in favor of Mike taking that unnamed player's spot.

i think we all agree that Joseph isnt ready. He wasnt supposed to have to be... no one in their worst nightmares would have ever though Ennis was a 1 and done. If we had Ennis this year, i think this is a top 10 team. He would get our guys in good positions to score. that was his knack.
Completely agree!

If Gbinije takes anyone's spot in the starting lineup, I think we all know it won't be Joseph's spot or Cooney's spot.

And right now, by the way, I'm in favor of Mike taking that unnamed player's spot.
Too many holes and not enough G to cover all of them.

I think Joseph is going to be very good but right now he's worried about making mistakes and making the right plays offensively. He is talented enough to just make basketball plays and put pressure on the defense. He will make mistakes weather he is hesitant or not so he needs to loose the hesitation and just play ball. The whole team needs to take the first good look they get and Joseph should too. We passed up open shots and wound up with bad ones way too much last night

The weird thing is that it's not an athleticism problem. He's more explosive than GMac and Rautins, but those guys were able to get open more often it seems.
It's not always about measureables. He jumps higher than both of those guys but they were both better ball handlers. Cooney is a spot up shooter, that's it. The main problem is we need him to do things he's not capable of. Is that his fault or the fault of the team. I'd say both. If he could just exist in the role he's comfortable in, he'd probably thrive, but the lack of scoring options give the other team no reason to leave him alone. If he could develop a real drive to the basket game, he'd force defenders to pick their poison, but I just don't think that will ever be him. It's no different than what we've said about past athletic big men that could never develop a simple baby hook. Sometimes you are what you are. If this team had a Johnny Flynn and/or Hakim Warrick that forced teams to collapse on the interior, Cooney could just chill outside and wait for the ball to come to him, but we don't and he can't.

It's not always about measureables. He jumps higher than both of those guys but they were both better ball handlers. Cooney is a spot up shooter, that's it. The main problem is we need him to do things he's not capable of. Is that his fault or the fault of the team. I'd say both. If he could just exist in the role he's comfortable in, he'd probably thrive, but the lack of scoring options give the other team no reason to leave him alone. If he could develop a real drive to the basket game, he'd force defenders to pick their poison, but I just don't think that will ever be him. It's no different than what we've said about past athletic big men that could never develop a simple baby hook. Sometimes you are what you are. If this team had a Johnny Flynn and/or Hakim Warrick that forced teams to collapse on the interior, Cooney could just chill outside and wait for the ball to come to him, but we don't and he can't.

The worst part of all is that he looks like he has the kind of game that would make him a good driver, but he chooses not to. Idk if it's coaching or if he just prefers hanging around the arc (probably a combo of the two), but he needs to put the ball on the deck. He's not going to break any ankles, but his handle is solid enough that he won't get stripped too often and his size is an advantage over 80% of guards who will be on him.

The difference between Cooney and Gbinijie being on the court last year was more defensive than offensive. Without Cooney on the court 3pt shots dropped and so did %. The team did get more shots at the rim but shot a lower % there. Possibly because Cooney's 3point threat caused the opposing teams to stretch further to cover him. On defense, it did not significantly change other teams shot choices with Cooney or Gbinijie on the court, but when Gbinijie was on the court teams had a lower shooting % at the rim, possibly because his length was better at preventing penetration.

CB.png

The worst part of all is that he looks like he has the kind of game that would make him a good driver, but he chooses not to. Idk if it's coaching or if he just prefers hanging around the arc (probably a combo of the two), but he needs to put the ball on the deck. He's not going to break any ankles, but his handle is solid enough that he won't get stripped too often and his size is an advantage over 80% of guards who will be on him.
I think it's more that he's not comfortable in traffic. If it's make one move and then wide open, he's fine. He strikes me as a thinker and not so much an instinctual player. I don't think that works well when trying to take it to the rim.

Cooney isn't the issue...you've got a PG that isn't even close to being ready to play at this level. Joseph needs to be getting 8 minutes a game not 35.
Right now the only way I would put Gbinije in the starting lineup would be at PG.

G needs to start. Roberson or Cooney need to play from the bench. As it stands, I'd like to see Cooney play from the bench.

does anyone know of a site with good plus minus data?

i hate seeing gbinije on the bench when everything is unraveling

He was on the floor when Cal took control at the end of the first half. In fact, I think that he was late getting over on 2 of the made 3 pters by Cal during that stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom