So Babers is sold on Shrader? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

So Babers is sold on Shrader?

It’s the hyperbole and hypocrisy I’m tired of. People are overlooking the same stuff they would complain about with other QB’s and are acting like he does things no one else on the team can do. He didn’t score two “tough” touchdowns. It was shown that the majority of his SEC stats came when the games were out of hand. People say Tommy only did good against MAC and lesser teams but shredder has down it against Liberty and Albany. Plus people still hold animosity over Tommy’s fathers abrasiveness here. Let’s see GS versus FSU before we start appointing him as the savior of syraxuse football

Did you actually watch the Rutgers game?

Do you think DeVito is capable of winning another game for us this season, when he can't manage more than 7 points against freaking Rutgers?

Sure, you can blame the coaches, but DeVito is the one picking which receiver to throw to.

DeVito is the one who doesn't seem to understand that the purpose of the 2 minute drill is not to run out the clock as quickly as possible without threatening to score.

I don't see him beating anyone in the ACC, honestly. Do you?

W/L applied to a QB in a team sport is the silliest metric

If QBs were measured solely by their stats, then Greg Paulus is the greatest QB in Syracuse history. That's the logical conclusion to your argument. Just sayin'.

Did you ever play the game? Because some of the "biggest winners" in football history weren't necessarily the guys who put up the gaudiest numbers. Some who pop to mind are Terry Bradshaw, Tim Tebow, Big Ben Rothlesberger, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams and Phil Simms.

It's not Fantasy Football that wins games. It's guys hitting guys as hard as they can, and then getting up and doing it again.

Thank you. Both guys bring unique skills to the field. I hope that Dino uses both and that they support each other.

Reminder: Tommy already told the newspaper (before Liberty) that he deserves to start.

So, that's a bit awkward, don't you think?

When eyes lie lol. There’s an impartial trained staff of professionals watching and grading all his throws.

And they chose NOT TO START HIM.

You've made the same point about 9 times.

Tommy gets better grades. Yes, we all agree, he throws a pretty pass.

But he doesn't have the guts, the ability to take a hit, and just the awareness of down, distance and game situation to choose the right play.

We see it all the time. The coaches do, too.

That's why he didn't start, despite his "good grades".

P.S. - Maybe the experts ought to re-examine their grading system.

Most of the people here bash on addazio and others for playing “meathead football” but now want to run that same style

That's what happens when you go from 10-2, to 5-7, to 1-10.

I just want to win some ballgames. And that starts with going back to the basics; blocking, tackling and being able to run the football.

And Garrett had 2 completions past the line of scrimmage the entire liberty game... lol. Gotta love Tucker. ;-) (and our def)
Must suck wanting to be right about something to assuage your ego, more than wanting your team to win. Enjoy twisting in the wind with your confliction.

Will look forward to making note of GS’s improvements in the passing game going forward to shut down the tact, for whatever reason you, and others, have chosen to take.

LGFO

Those zone read plays look like the old scissors play, which was an inside reverse. the difference is that the QB doesn't turn and handoff to another back. He keeps it himself.

The drive that starts at 1:50 has some good examples:

Scissors was a staple of our offense in high school, we ran it probably 3/4 times per game. It always hit once or twice.

We would set it up throughout the 1st quarter with play fakes. The teams who scouted us, you could always hear their sideline yell whenever we had motion SCISSORS!!!

We had some really strong teams. Then when I got to college, we were already running alot of the zone read stuff and more of a spread passing attack. That was when offenses started to really evolve into what we see now, maximizing field space.

Ay I don’t care what it is if it wins it wins, all these new defenses are tailored to beat the spread, briles fast tempo offenses and they figured it out . Maybe going back to being bruisers hit ya in the mouth, quick slants and dumps with a rpo bomb sprinkled in here and there is what is going to work. Idk I’m just a fan lol
I would be more convinced that people have figured it out if anyone could tell me what it is that they're doing that showed they have figured it out

"When statistics lie", example 6,859.

Ask any guy at the tailgate, in the bar, or at the game:

"Do you think Tommy is good under pressure?"

I would bet on about an 80% "no" answer rate.
Rate stats don't work because we would prefer devito they're incompletions than take sacks. Everyone agrees that he's not horrible when the ball is actually thrown, sacks are QB stats because it's so easy to unload the ball but for some reason college stats are still so goofy because they can't distinguish between runs for loss and sacks

When eyes lie lol. There’s an impartial trained staff of professionals watching and grading all his throws.

Plus that’s this year as opposed to his career numbers, I think. People are unable to see TDs improvement because of built up bias.
When they can't score, you should reconsider whether rate stats apply to a guy who eats the ball rather than talk about other people's bias

The offense you saw Friday night isn't different than what we've seen since 2016?

It looked like something from the Schwartzwalder Era.
No, it looks like the same offense that he ran for Dungey.

I’m blown away by the small fragment of people on here who just can’t comprehend that although TD stats are okay, he just can’t seem to win a game.

Winning means more than having good stats.

We have to play “meat head” football right now because we need to return to the basics of the game because a majority of our skilled players are very young still.

If we can scrape up a few wins this year and get to a bowl and get the extra practices and develop the young ones even further, next season when they are “sophomores” and “juniors” they are going to be able to do the more exciting style of football.

Overall, GS has started one football game and he has won one football game for us. It wasn’t the prettiest game, but we at least gritted our teeth and toughed it out.

GS gets the start this week IMO and we go from there, the more run he gets with the 1s the better he will be.

I would be more convinced that people have figured it out if anyone could tell me what it is that they're doing that showed they have figured it out
Alotta teams are playing the 3-3-5 now to stop those tempo offenses and it seems to be affective . I feel the briles style has been somewhat figured out. I’m not saying a team like ole miss can’t make it really hum but we are not stacked with elite athletes.

Last edited:
If QBs were measured solely by their stats, then Greg Paulus is the greatest QB in Syracuse history. That's the logical conclusion to your argument. Just sayin'.

Did you ever play the game? Because some of the "biggest winners" in football history weren't necessarily the guys who put up the gaudiest numbers. Some who pop to mind are Terry Bradshaw, Tim Tebow, Big Ben Rothlesberger, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams and Phil Simms.

It's not Fantasy Football that wins games. It's guys hitting guys as hard as they can, and then getting up and doing it again.
I didn’t say they should be measured by their stats alone, either. I appreciate the rigor in which you came at that straw man though.

It’s a team game. You’re on the field with ten other people and then there’s another 11 who you don’t even talk to half the time who have a completely different mission. Not to mention ST. The QB is the most important player on 1/3 of the team. They can play well and still lose. The team can play great and the QB crappy and still win. This stuff is obvious.

If the depth of your evaluation doesn’t account for that it’s not worth much.

(Note: I’m not saying TD is a great QB on a bad team. I’m saying he’s been an ok QB with deficiencies on a team with deficiencies on OL, WR and on D)

When they can't score, you should reconsider whether rate stats apply to a guy who eats the ball rather than talk about other people's bias
Yeah, I wasn’t referring to rate stats. Eating the ball and taking sacks gets rated rather poorly.

Reminder: Tommy already told the newspaper (before Liberty) that he deserves to start.

So, that's a bit awkward, don't you think?
Well Tommy is entitled to his opinion and im sure he does feel he should start. At this point he needs to support the team and prepare to play as he will definitely be playing meaningful snaps again this year.

Even though I didn’t see it at first - it’s clear now. They were ramping GS up, look at his snap count per game.

There’s no debate who starts against FSU - Dino already said GS would start if I’m not mistaken.

Doesn’t mean TD won’t get a shot or that there won’t be a rotation. But I see nothing that leads me to believe otherwise. Hopefully GS can hit some shots and keep moving the sticks to help our run game.

TD will do what he’s always done, be a great young man and a hard worker. I’m sure that he’ll continue to do whatever he can to contribute and be ready. He will be on the field again this season.

I do believe DB is sold enough on Shrader to let him run. Unless something changes, I think that’s our guy right now. But, he also made it clear that a lot of it is dependent on our game plan.

Rate stats don't work because we would prefer devito they're incompletions than take sacks. Everyone agrees that he's not horrible when the ball is actually thrown, sacks are QB stats because it's so easy to unload the ball but for some reason college stats are still so goofy because they can't distinguish between runs for loss and sacks
I think you some catching up to do stats wise. There’s EPA that rates each play (way over simplifying here) that 100% rates those plays correctly. There’s also PFF grades where trained professionals watch game tape and grade. Again, sacks and throwing out of bounds don't grade positive.

To be clear, both of these ways of looking at TD and GS show two mediocre at best QBs so far this year.

A little less Tucker pounding the rock and a little more Tucker split wide and in motion or in the slot and wheel routes. Any time Tucker can get the ball on space or even decoy that he might get the ball on space will wreak havoc with secondaries and OC's scheme and should allow some missed assignments and wide open receivers. That will help whoever plays QB. Also maybe a punt return now and then for 34.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom