So Babers is sold on Shrader? | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

So Babers is sold on Shrader?

After watching HCDB's press conference this week it didn't seem to me that he was very enamored with GS's throwing of the ball last week. He did mention it was a "below average day" for GS throwing, (good question by Bailey).

Also mentioned the WR's are doing things correctly and we need to hit them with the football when they get open.

Hopefully it improves.
With his size and running ability and a good head on his shoulders, you have to just assume that the arm isn't there when he transferred and what I see confirms it to me

You can always pick out one throw if you want to be hopeful

This offense will work better than every other one for a guy with those limitations. It makes it easy for him and really you only need to throw enough to keep those defenders on the outside from cheating inside

You know who else had a losing record each of his first three years as a starter, Eric Dungey.
With Dungey, I think everyone just felt that we had a chance in every game as long as he stayed healthy. For most fans now - and especially with a defense that seems capable, and a good looking ground attack - they just want that feeling from the QB position. (And the OL and the WRs.

I am fine with Dino just playing them both. His job his call. Like he said Shrader started and won last game, he starts vs FSU, I would say if he plays like crap 1st quarter, Tommy will most likely get the call in 2nd, he gets hot and plays well he starts next game. If not assume Shrader in the 3rd. Both are going to play. It's not ideal but I have a tough time declaring either the starter from here on out. Just going to have to live with it. Neither have been very good.

No because most of us don’t just look at the stats like you…

There is more to football than stats.

Stats give a baseline but you have to watch and see what is being done.

A lot of Tommy’s numbers I feel came from when he was down big in games and was playing against prevent defenses/soft zone.

Shrader simply does things that TD can’t do.

call me biased or whatever, but I loved Tommy when he first came here….I even loved him after the 2019 season but was starting to get weary. After 2020 I was done. I figured I would give him 2021, but once again he started doing the same things he had been doing even after everyone said in preseason he was doing much better. Once again it came down to games where he just couldn’t put into play what he was showing before.
I'm sure you've seen this but to add onto your point about GS vs TD skip to 10:29 of this video, without a doubt Tommy is sacked and goes down for a loss of 6+ yards, GS on the other hand avoids the sack and gets a first down.
Also for those saying he can't throw for starters look at his offer sheet, that isn't the offers a Qb who can't throw gets. Second watch the entirety of the video, sure his motion is ugly and slow but he is plenty capable of throwing the football. Spot on once again with your analysis of GS vs TD.

I'm sure you've seen this but to add onto your point about GS vs TD skip to 10:29 of this video, without a doubt Tommy is sacked and goes down for a loss of 6+ yards, GS on the other hand avoids the sack and gets a first down.
Also for those saying he can't throw for starters look at his offer sheet, that isn't the offers a Qb who can't throw gets. Second watch the entirety of the video, sure his motion is ugly and slow but he is plenty capable of throwing the football. Spot on once again with your analysis of GS vs TD.
thanks for linking that. He's that exact same player we've seen here, we can win with him, risk reward type kid without question. The good news is he's used to inadequate OL's based on those clips as that's as bad as I've seen here, the arm remains questionable, some decisions as well with some weak throws into good coverage.

BUT, the kid is cat like quick, makes something out of nothing often, is not fazed by pressure or the big bright lights, and has a steadiness about him. The arm is good enough to compete, the running ability more than adequate and in fact above average for the position. Not sure he can lead us to a 10 win season and be the long term answer as the goal should be he gets recruited over, but for now he's our best chance to get to an above .500 bowl type season.

I am fine with Dino just playing them both. His job his call. Like he said Shrader started and won last game, he starts vs FSU, I would say if he plays like crap 1st quarter, Tommy will most likely get the call in 2nd, he gets hot and plays well he starts next game. If not assume Shrader in the 3rd. Both are going to play. It's not ideal but I have a tough time declaring either the starter from here on out. Just going to have to live with it. Neither have been very good.
I actually think Tommy might light FS up. I wouldnt mind seeing both guys play. I think we might win going away.

That's an interesting thought. Would Dino in an effort to be the smartest guy in the room, shock everyone including FSU by starting and playing Tommy?

I wouldn’t be surprised one bit.

The depth chart and the news conference for the week are on Mondays before the team has had a single practice to prepare for that week’s game.

We have two QB’s who are capable of winning football games. I expect the coaches to play whichever QB they believe gives the team the best chance to win that week based on what they see that week in practice, film study and meetings. To think otherwise is to think the coaches aren’t trying to win, and that is simply foolish. We may not agree with all of the decisions made by the coaches, but they are trying to win.

Go Orange

I actually think Tommy might light FS up. I wouldnt mind seeing both guys play. I think we might win going away.

I don’t disagree. Shrader will start but I don’t think he gets a long leash by any means and I personally don’t give a rats behind as long as we win. Let’s hope we are talking about one of them having a great game and being 4-1 going into wake.

Shredder is going to start and TD is not going to see the field but for mop up or an injury

Shredder is going to start and TD is not going to see the field but for mop up or an injury

…. or, IF GS struggles against FSU like Dungey did back in ‘18, and Dino calls for Tommy out of the bullpen.

I would not at all be surprised to see that happen, if that were the case.

Tucker needs the ball in his hand as much as possible for us to win. We also need to keep him healthy. Two issues at odds with each other.

So far we've played in 2 straight very competitive games. I suspect we'll come into games where it's not in doubt in the fourth quarter as wins and losses. Need to find Tucker some rest during those for sure
Good point.

Yes - they are scary thin at RB if there are injuries.

Is Pena being moved to RB as another backup?

The depth chart and the news conference for the week are on Mondays before the team has had a single practice to prepare for that week’s game.
…..
The depth charts aren’t known for their accuracy and if Dino thinks it’s to his advantage he will not say who is starting.
In this case FSU knows Tommy can come off the bench at any time so he is not at a big disadvantage announcing Shrader will start.

Palatable? I didn’t find anything on offense in the second half that was like that to watch. I’ll be at FSU to root tjem on as much as one fan can but I don’t find a proto triple option fun to watch minus watching Tucker jump start his heisman campaign

If the game Friday wasn’t exciting for you, maybe CFB just isn’t your thing.

Lots of posters mention TD's performance against NC and how he passed them dizzy. Don't forget, he replaced ED in the second half of the FSU game that year and performed very well. Unless GS improves his passing from last week, TD might actually be the best option.

If the game Friday wasn’t exciting for you, maybe CFB just isn’t your thing.
Eh that wasn't a representative game

I doubt non su or Liberty fans who gave it a shot stuck with it

It was a close game that was satisfying for us but ...

What FloridaFan is talking about is Shrader getting credit for handling some bad snaps whereas DeVito loses credit to some fans that believe he wouldn't have handled all the bad snaps. As one example.

Some of how people assess DeVito is really inconsistent with how they assess Shrader.

In fairness people also felt threatened by anything positive said about marrone/nassib and when it looked like DB and TD were going to win lots of games, they unfairly critiqued marrone/Nassib. So like anything on this board, I think it goes both ways and which side of things people fall on.

His throwing motion (as I’m sure you can tell) precludes him being super accurate and consistent.

Actually this is a pretty silly take. Not sure if you’ve ever coached before but his throwing motion doesn’t preclude him from either of those things. It might limit his accuracy for throwing out wide or deep, potentially. It might limit his velocity, especially on certain throws and depending on his body position, potentially. It has no bearing on his accuracy especially for short/medium throws and probably most deep balls he’ll ever throw.

Tucker needs the ball in his hand as much as possible for us to win. We also need to keep him healthy. Two issues at odds with each other.

So far we've played in 2 straight very competitive games. I suspect we'll come into games where it's not in doubt in the fourth quarter as wins and losses. Need to find Tucker some rest during those for sure

I hear ya! That Albany game was quite the nail biter going into the 4th, where the outcome was a toss up. ;):)

I do not like being attacked or lied about. His post was completely inappropriate. I will indeed put him on ignore.

I was about to apologize but then figured I’d double check what I might have done in case I had been drinking. Maybe my post was a tad harsh by itself (pg 8). However it wasn’t that bad and for 4/8 of the first pages of the thread you were attacking people for not agreeing with you.

So I attacked you, lied about you, and I was inappropriate. I mean, come on, you’ve got a Punisher icon and I did all that to you with 3 or so sentences. Did you read how you were talking to people up to that point. Page 1-2 and 7-8 I believe.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree. Shrader will start but I don’t think he gets a long leash by any means and I personally don’t give a rats behind as long as we win. Let’s hope we are talking about one of them having a great game and being 4-1 going into wake.

I just don’t know that we can flip flop every game and still get to a bowl. I don’t care who gets us there. I know some teams are successful at switching QB’s in and out but that’s not us. Not because we couldn’t in the future but with tue oline still trying to get better, new OC and WR’s not completely lighting it up. I think having a constant flip flopping just doesn’t bode well for the offense even just being functional enough to win 3 more.

Eh that wasn't a representative game

I doubt non su or Liberty fans who gave it a shot stuck with it

It was a close game that was satisfying for us but ...
all I care about. I don’t care if CFB fans found it exciting or not to be honest. In a perfect world we’d be winners and people would tune in. 15 or so years of barely winning, I just want to watch a win at this point.

You know who else had a losing record each of his first three years as a starter, Eric Dungey.
Who beat the #19 team in the country? And then next year the #2 team? Clemson had two losses that year, Cuse and Alabama. What is Tommy’s biggest win that he started?

I was about to apologize but then figured I’d double check what I might have done in case I had been drinking. Maybe my post was a tad harsh by itself (pg 8). However it wasn’t that bad and for 4/8 of the first pages of the thread you were attacking people for not agreeing with you.

So I attacked you, lied about you, and I was inappropriate. I mean, come on, you’ve got a Punisher icon and I did all that to you with 3 or so sentences. Did you read how you were talking to people up to that point. Page 1-2 and 7-8 I believe.
This is an absolute lie. I have not attacked anyone until you directly attacked me without provocation. Please stay off my comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom