So... how about that offensive line? | Syracusefan.com

So... how about that offensive line?

RF2044

Living Legend
We just went toe-to-toe with a B1G opponent with a MASSIVE group of players on the D-Line, down two projected starters, and held our own.

Are we perfect? Hell no.

But they did yeoman's work on Saturday.

Special shout out to Mark Petry, who entered preseason camp as an afterthought, but has proven to be a competent, serviceable starter. Which has been really important, given the injuries we've sustained.

Think about that for a second. We have two guys [Ellis / More] who many expected to start that haven't played a single down the entire season, and we lost our starting RT for the year in game two. Those types of injuries might have sunk the entire positional unit in years past, and undermined the rest of the team being above average. But this year, the depth we've built has enabled us to more than weather the storm, but also to continue playing at a high level despite adversity, and power through the injuries.

Lots of work to do. Hope More gets back soon to bolster depth. Would also be a boon if Ellis could return at some point. But I'm proud of what the OL has done so far, under less than beneficial circumstances.

After the first series they seemed to settle down. I wonder how much worse they would appear if CDRW was sitting back there with his crazy eyes. Point being, shredder’s legs are really helping them out a bunch.

On a tangent, but I still am flabbergasted that nobody could find a way to make Ellis lose any weight in the off-season. Where is the accountability? Does he want to keep his scholarship?

I thought the were outstanding.
Yes - not overwhelming, but competitive.

I doubt Petry or Bradford were “an afterthought” within the OL unit or in the thinking of the coaches. Fans did not have access to August practices to see the competition between these two and More and Wohlabaugh.

Pleasantly surprised by OL. We know they aren’t ever going to be a top unit in the ACC, that’s why Dino has shifted to mobile QBs strictly, but we need them to be mid pack of ACC minimum to allow us to be successful. And they are doing that. Garrets pocket presence is unbelievable and he makes them look better but still they held their own.

Pre season, I never would’ve thought after week 3 I would have more confidence in our OL group then WR group but here we are.

We just went toe-to-toe with a B1G opponent with a MASSIVE group of players on the D-Line, down two projected starters, and held our own.

Are we perfect? Hell no.

Special shout out to Mark Petry, who entered preseason camp as an afterthought, but has proven to be a competent, serviceable starter. Which has been really important, given the injuries we've sustained.

Think about that for a second. We have two guys [Ellis / More] who many expected to start that haven't played a single down the entire season, and we lost our starting RT for the year in game two. Those types of injuries might have sunk the entire positional unit in years past, and undermined the rest of the team being above average. But this year, the depth we've built has enabled us to more than weather the storm, but also to continue playing at a high level despite adversity, and power through the injuries.

Lots of work to do. Hope More gets back soon to bolster depth. Would also be a boon if Ellis could return at some point. But I'm proud of what the OL has done so far, under less than beneficial circumstances.
Yes and compare that to last year when the line was porous.

Last year we had 1 OL grade average and 3 grade below average for pass blocking, plus Berg who graded like a 1st round pick haha

This year we had all 5 OL grade above average or Good for pass blocking!

That is a 2 step function increase against similar personnel, except this time it was a hostile environment!

Most pleasant surprise of the season thus far. GS helps of course but the play Friday night was more than acceptable. I also think we can run inside more if we use either back-up RB.

Are we perfect? Hell no.

Amen. What a great performance from the group under the circumstances. We go as the hogs go! And boy were they GOIN on Saturday.

Great job by BIG GENERAL Reed up the middle, too. Boilerball sent quite a few stunts and tough rushes at the A gaps and I thought that he had a great game. So happy for that kid that he’s getting a great shot here.

Yes - not overwhelming, but competitive.

I doubt Petry or Bradford were “an afterthought” within the OL unit or in the thinking of the coaches. Fans did not have access to August practices to see the competition between these two and More and Wohlabaugh.

I have yet to rewatch the game but I thought the pass blocking was very good. I thought Shrader mostly had plenty of time to throw. I was more down on the run blocking but Allen did manage 80 yards and a healthy 4.7 average. That's pretty good.

There were a few times to that Shrader should have given it to Allen on the rpo's and he would've had a couple of big gains.

For two weeks a lot of people said we won't know until after Purdue. Well, I was very encouraged by their performance against Purdue.

Last year we had 1 OL grade average and 3 grade below average for pass blocking, plus Berg who graded like a 1st round pick haha

That is a 2 step function increase against similar personnel, except this time it was a hostile environment!
It's gotta be a function of the new coach. That is awesome, especially with so many new players along the line.

I have yet to rewatch the game but I thought the pass blocking was very good. I thought Shrader mostly had plenty of time to throw. I was more down on the run blocking but Allen did manage 80 yards and a healthy 4.7 average. That's pretty good.

There were a few times to that Shrader should have given it to Allen on the rpo's and he would've had a couple of big gains.

For two weeks a lot of people said we won't know until after Purdue. Well, I was very encouraged by their performance against Purdue.
I was mostly encouraged, but I also believe this team has more potential. Clean up the drops, and we will be a juggernaut in the ACC

Amen. What a great performance from the group under the circumstances. We go as the hogs go! And boy were they GOIN on Saturday.

Great job by BIG GENERAL Reed up the middle, too. Boilerball sent quite a few stunts and tough rushes at the A gaps and I thought that he had a great game. So happy for that kid that he’s getting a great shot here.
Reed has been a very positive addition. Having a stronger center can make a difference on the whole line.

??

Pass Blocking
Berg 80.8
Vett 76.0
Cruz 71.5
Davis 71.5
Ellis 70.1
Bleich 67.1

60’s average, 70’s above average, 80’s good.

As a team we got killed by the grades of the TEs, FBs, and subs who all graded between the 20’s and 40’s. Poor poor poor.

It's Petry's fourth year on campus and fifth in the US playing football (remember, he's German and spent 2019 playing JUCO ball in Iowa). Always cool to see something click for a guy - I hope he keeps it up.

??

Pass Blocking
Berg 80.8
Vett 76.0
Cruz 71.5
Davis 71.5
Ellis 70.1
Bleich 67.1

60’s average, 70’s above average, 80’s good.

As a team we got killed by the grades of the TEs, FBs, and subs who all graded between the 20’s and 40’s. Poor poor poor.
I don’t know what grades your looking at but Purdue 2022 was graded for pass blocking only as follows for me

Berg 72.9 (above average)
Davis 68.7 (average)
Bleich 53.5 (below average)
Vett 52.7 (below average)
Ellis 50.4 (below average/bad)

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 9.17.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Lets not forget its Garrett Shrader who makes the OL look good. Just like Eric Dungey did. If Tommy DeVito was behind center for that Purdue game, this thread would look a WHOLE lot different...

I don’t know what grades your looking at but Purdue 2022 was graded for pass blocking only as follows for me

Berg 72.9 (above average)
Davis 68.7 (average)
Bleich 53.5 (below average)
Vett 52.7 (below average)
Ellis 50.4 (below average/bad)

Ahh. I thought you were talking about the full season. My grades are for the season.

They did a very good job against three and four man pressures. They have bigger issues against blitzes, which makes sense.

The one time Villari got “beat” he was doing a good job of guiding his guy to the back of the pocket but Garrett backed out instead of stepping up and Villari lost his advantage.

It takes time to build cohesion, 4 of 5 are new starters, and trust.

Ahh. I thought you were talking about the full season. My grades are for the season.
Ahh, yes, I was trying to keep opponent and point in the season constant.

Only 2 penalties for 10 yards, I think.

Really excellent performance from these guys against a tough team.
Nice to see improvement from the first two games, as they work together more.

Hopefully we see Steve Farmer appreciation posts this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom