So I think I'm giving up my Season Tixx for FB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So I think I'm giving up my Season Tixx for FB

Take the "Townie" Challenge

Step 1:
Add up the money you spend per game: parking, food, tickets, etc...

Step 2:
When next seasons schedule comes out. Set up an auto deposit to your kids 529 in the amount you got from Step 1 for each game.

Step 3:
Enjoy the game at home.

Best seats in the house and you feel like you win every game.

If everyone did that...we'll be in the Patriot League

Your kids will miss out on the thrill of going to the game, seeing Marshall St, the Quad, the Band at Hendricks, Tailgating, developing a lifelong bond to the Orange...other than that rock on.

I myself was hooked when my Dad took me to Archbold Stadium as an 8 year old. In my 8 year old brain I had never seen anything so big and grand as watching a game like this 7 miles from my house.

Last edited:
Doctor Bartlett, I think you are great and I really like how you engage. But I don't know that seniority is a big issue these days. I wish it were.
It is a big deal for getting the best seats home and away. Having someone you can call and they actually know you...to help set something up or fix an issue. One of my folks coming to MetLife...lost their tix and it was a day or two out from the game. I called my Tix Guy at SU and he reprinted the tix and had at Will Call.

It is a big deal for getting the best seats home and away. Having someone you can call and they actually know you...to help set something up or fix an issue. One of my folks coming to MetLife...lost their tix and it was a day or two out from the game. I called my Tix Guy at SU and he reprinted the tix and had at Will Call.
Eh. printing tickets is easy now and someone could go real cheap on season tickets and just buy good seats on stubhub or whatever

i worry that it's not that big a carrot. the good seats aren't that sought after. flatten the prices.

Eh. printing tickets is easy now and someone could go real cheap on season tickets and just buy good seats on stubhub or whatever

i worry that it's not that big a carrot. the good seats aren't that sought after. flatten the prices.

Incentives aren't meant for everyone but like TexanMark said, having someone up here does go a long way. There are a lot of people who I go above and beyond for as it is but if I find out your a football season ticket holder I'll do all that I can for you guys. Not to say I ignore you if not but I take care of those who take care of us

Do what makes you and your wallet happy. However -- to your argument that there is no bad seat in the Dome why not get a $99 or $125 season? You give up your seasons you give up your seniority. I'm not sure if you've ever utilized presales but those do not come with scalpers.

I hope the mind has not been set in stone because I think you'd regret the decision because of the hassle scalpers create.

Email me any time. You can bitch to me all you'd like. Tell me every little detail that you hate -- trust me I've heard it all and I can hopefully show you why others have felt like that but will still return in '15. I welcome it and I hope to hear from you!! -- drbartle@syr dot edu (no spaces)

What is this seniority that you speak of? I've never heard of it and I have had 4 seasons for almost 20 yrs. what does seniority do for someone?

OburgOrange said:
What is this seniority that you speak of? I've never heard of it and I have had 4 seasons for almost 20 yrs. what does seniority do for someone?

You get to go to the head of the trough.

Ignore the "real fan" stuff? It's stances like this why we will never be on the national level again. Our fans aren't committed to the program. It's a group effort.

Stick with the team, unless it is breaking your bank.

You're right it's a group effort and our "program" isn't committed to the program.

Rocco said:
Ignore the "real fan" stuff? It's stances like this why we will never be on the national level again. Our fans aren't committed to the program. It's a group effort. Stick with the team, unless it is breaking your bank.

It's not so much about commitment. Our hoops fans seem to be plenty committed.

It's about performance and numbers. How many P5 programs have gone as long as SU since being ranked? Almost none.

How many P5 programs are medium-sized private schools who's alumni base is centered hours away from the school? Very few.

A big reason why other schools draw more is because they are better and their fanbase is bigger, which creates demand.

Rocco said:
Ignore the "real fan" stuff? It's stances like this why we will never be on the national level again. Our fans aren't committed to the program. It's a group effort. Stick with the team, unless it is breaking your bank.

They're still fans. They're just not coming to games until the team gives them reason to do so.

No one has to like it but no one can change it. It's just how it works for this school and many of its true peers.

They're still fans. They're just not coming to games until the team gives them reason to do so.

No one has to like it but no one can change it. It's just how it works for this school and many of its true peers.
No, they're not fans. Fans = fanatics. Being super rational means not being rabid fans.

Random question that will make me sound incredibly uninformed:

When people in this thread are referencing $125, $150 season tickets, is that per game? per seat? for the whole season? I literally have no concept of the market value of SU tix, but considering the amount of silver I see every time I watch them on tv, nothing would really surprise me.

*and yeah maybe I'm a shitty fan but I live on the West Coast and honestly the time/$ commitment and general inconvenience involved in going back to SU for a football game just really isn't worth it right now*

If everyone did that...we'll be in the Patriot League

Your kids will miss out on the thrill of going to the game, seeing Marshall St, the Quad, the Band at Hendricks, Tailgating, developing a lifelong bond to the Orange...other than that rock on.

I myself was hooked when my Dad took me to Archbold Stadium as an 8 year old. In my 8 year old brain I had never seen anything so big and grand as watching a game like this 7 miles from my house.
Yup. I thank God everyday that my dad wasn't MCuse44. He managed to save for my college funding AND let me enjoy Syracuse football. It wasn't rocket science.

No, they're not fans. Fans = fanatics. Being super rational means not being rabid fans.

There is a difference in being a fan and being a rabid fan, notice how rabid being a descriptive word changes how much of a fan some one is??

And yes, fan is a shortened version of the word fanatic. But it doesn't mean that people are compelled to change their lifestyles, go against what they believe and alter what they choose to do with their dollars and free time. Just because thy are a fan of a team whether they went to school somewhere or not, it's a choice. Just like not going to the games until the product improves. That is called making a choice and "voting with your dollars" to either support or not support the team. I respect and understand that.

Me...I am thinking about buying a travel trailer just so I can bring it tailgating and watch the games at the tailgate. Trying to figure out how I can mount a TV on the side next to the outdoor kitchen so I don't have to miss the other games on TV that day up to game time. That's just me.

Random question that will make me sound incredibly uninformed:

When people in this thread are referencing $125, $150 season tickets, is that per game? per seat? for the whole season? I literally have no concept of the market value of SU tix, but considering the amount of silver I see every time I watch them on tv, nothing would really surprise me.

*and yeah maybe I'm a shitty fan but I live on the West Coast and honestly the time/$ commitment and general inconvenience involved in going back to SU for a football game just really isn't worth it right now*

$125 would get you a season ticket around the goal line. Really a great deal considering it will cost you $49-$69 for one ticket to see the AHL All Star Hockey game in Utica

Two things I would like to address:

1. As far as the OP goes do what you need to do but if it were me I would keep my seats where I have them, if it was to loosen up my cash restraint then I would keep season tickets and switch sections. It seems to me that it is weighing out product vs. price at this point. I understand the frustration but try to keep the faith.

2. We are lucky to have this awesome board to vent, socialize, and argue with other fans of Syracuse. I don't go to other boards but I think we are very lucky to have a person like Dan to come here and listen to grips and try to help! Dealing with our issues and trying to get somewhere with upper management has to be a very tiring and daunting task at times. Thanks DB

Let's win our final couple of games and get some recruits we are targeting. Go into next year with our defense being as it has been the past few years and hopefully a decent leap on the offense. Give us some other things to start a thread about beside the damn color of the uniforms!!!!

There is a difference in being a fan and being a rabid fan, notice how rabid being a descriptive word changes how much of a fan some one is??

And yes, fan is a shortened version of the word fanatic. But it doesn't mean that people are compelled to change their lifestyles, go against what they believe and alter what they choose to do with their dollars and free time. Just because thy are a fan of a team whether they went to school somewhere or not, it's a choice. Just like not going to the games until the product improves. That is called making a choice and "voting with your dollars" to either support or not support the team. I respect and understand that.

Me...I am thinking about buying a travel trailer just so I can bring it tailgating and watch the games at the tailgate. Trying to figure out how I can mount a TV on the side next to the outdoor kitchen so I don't have to miss the other games on TV that day up to game time. That's just me.
So you are tepidly fanatic? You're right. The word fan doesn't carry the meaning it once did. It now means "spectator with discretionary income."

So you are tepidly fanatic? You're right. The word fan doesn't carry the meaning it once did. It now means "spectator with discretionary income."

Did you read the whole post? Are you really asking me if I am tepidly fanatic??

To the op. Ask yourself this question. If you give up the seats, and all of a sudden we go undefeated that season, will you feel sorry or bad that you gave up those seats? Because if it were me, that is exactly what would happen. We would go undefeated. The same concept as never get behind me in the line, because it is the wrong and slowest line.
D Bartlett really gave you some good ideas with moving to a lower priced season seat.
For those who talk about the fan versus not a real fan, also think about the student athletes who are on the field. These guys really did play with their hearts this year, and fought in almost every game until the very end. How would it feel if they played in an even emptier stadium. And yes you're only one person, but those one people add up. If I lived in the area I would go to every game just to support the players on the field.

To the op. Ask yourself this question. If you give up the seats, and all of a sudden we go undefeated that season, will you feel sorry or bad that you gave up those seats? Because if it were me, that is exactly what would happen. We would go undefeated. The same concept as never get behind me in the line, because it is the wrong and slowest line.
D Bartlett really gave you some good ideas with moving to a lower priced season seat.
For those who talk about the fan versus not a real fan, also think about the student athletes who are on the field. These guys really did play with their hearts this year, and fought in almost every game until the very end. How would it feel if they played in an even emptier stadium. And yes you're only one person, but those one people add up. If I lived in the area I would go to every game just to support the players on the field.

That happened to me in 1987. We had both basketball & football season tickets since the dome opened. Awesome football seats in the 3rd row at the 50 yard line.(nose bleed basketball tickets) Then I became pregnant and after having our son in late 1985, we couldn't even give our tickets away in 1986. We didn't renew at the end of the season knowing we couldn't make all the football games with a husband, 3 kids, 2 tickets and the older boys increased involvement in sports. Of course we all know what happened in 1987. Called SU to see if we could get our tickets back when they were 4-0 in '87 and they said the best they could do were tickets in section 312 row T. Grr

I did figure it was just my isolated "luck" that it happened to us.

What are the odds of us going undefeated? It never happens, except for 1987. If we had a team that good, attendance wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
I have been a season Ticket holder for FB for the past four years and I have gone to every game these past four years - 24 straight. I have good seats (Preferred C, Sec 117, on the aisle about 25 rows back) and I love going to the games.

I just don't see the point in paying the extra money for season tixx anymore. I kept telling myself that these seats will be incredible will the team starts be more competitive and the place starts to sell out, but that just seems so far off right now.

I still plan on going to all the games, I just think I am going to buy $10 tixx from the scalpers. It's not like there really are any bad seats for a FB game. In fact, the higher up you go the better the view in most cases.

I think financially this is probably the smart decision, but somehow it just doesn't feel right like I am making a mistake.

Do what is best for you. You don't owe the program anything. Put a better product on the field and people will show up.

What are the odds of us going undefeated? It never happens, except for 1987. If we had a team that good, attendance wouldn't be an issue.
I don't think I meant literally that we could go undefeated, but it was an exaggerated version of we have a really good season, way above our expectations. How would he feel if he gave up his seats and then that happened, as you can see from Cherie, it does happen. So my question was to make the OP think in those terms. If he says to himself or herself that it would be ok, then go for it. I know I would be kicking myself if I did that. It was just another way to look at their dilemma. Obviously they are not totally comfortable with this potential decision if they posted on here asking us our opinions.

I don't think I meant literally that we could go undefeated, but it was an exaggerated version of we have a really good season, way above our expectations. How would he feel if he gave up his seats and then that happened, as you can see from Cherie, it does happen. So my question was to make the OP think in those terms. If he says to himself or herself that it would be ok, then go for it. I know I would be kicking myself if I did that. It was just another way to look at their dilemma. Obviously they are not totally comfortable with this potential decision if they posted on here asking us our opinions.

When was the last time we had a really good season? You could still get tickets if that were to happen.

Lol. I can't wait til my kids tell me they hate me for not buying them season tickets when they were kids.

Yup. I thank God everyday that my dad wasn't MCuse44. He managed to save for my college funding AND let me enjoy Syracuse football. It wasn't rocket science.