So if Sean Tucker | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

So if Sean Tucker

Honestly Jim Brown is kind of an arse. He may be the greatest football player of all time, but he hits women, told the Cleveland Browns to essentially knock it off and stand up when they were kneeling in protest, is on record saying he would never sign Kaepernick. And if you look at his rap sheet he wouldn't have even been an NFL running back in modern times. No team would sign him today, ala Ray Rice. SU can do whatever the hell it wants with 44. Little's opinion means alot more to me than Brown's. I've been on record supporting 44's retirement. I was stupid. Bring it back.
He's not kind of an ass - he is an ass. I respect what he did on the field, he was amazing, but end of the day he was a chronic domestic abuser and Floyd was 1,000 times the man he was. When you couple the circumstances of how it was retired with Floyd repeatedly being on record of being in favor of it being reinstated, that's all it took for me.

Sean Tucker can decide whether he wants to wear it or not - that's up to him, but he absolutely should be offered it, and it shouldn't be held back simply because of this retirement nonsense.

The old 44 tradition is dead. I think we should start a new 44 tradition. The players vote on who wears it each game. It would almost be like a captain's C. It would be an honor but only last one game so it wouldn't put any pressure on a kid. It also allows kids to keep their number all other games which is important to them. It would be fun to try and guess who will it be this week?

So you could have TD wear it one game, Tucker another game, Taj, Queeley, Elmore, McKinley, Kingsley Jonathan, Mikel Jones, Garrett Williams, Ja'Had Carter.

I would also petition to have OL eligible to wear it. CFB rules are more lax than the NFL so we might be able to use it in a one off. It isn't like we are using trickery.
You revive the old tradition by having people that excel wearing it so that they can be added to the ring of honor and are recognizable to current/future generations because they're currently active. You don't revive it by turning it into a football jersey version of musical chairs.

You do realize he had significant injuries his last three years that limited how much he could be featured , right?
It would be interesting to know if he would have been injured as much had he been a feature back instead of having to constantly block LBs. He probably took more punishment in his role.

You revive the old tradition by having people that excel wearing it so that they can be added to the ring of honor and are recognizable to current/future generations because they're currently active. You don't revive it by turning it into a football jersey version of musical chairs.
I agree but that did not happen when we tried to revive the tradition in the 1980s. Why did all those good RBs during the P era not wear it? Was P too strict in handing it out or did kids not want it? We want our good RBs to wear it but if they don't, then the tradition dies. That is why it was retired, no RBs had done anything with it for nearly 44 years.

I would love to see Tucker wear it if he wants to. We need the number to be live. But what is the plan after Tucker?

I agree but that did not happen when we tried to revive the tradition in the 1980s. Why did all those good RBs during the P era not wear it? Was P too strict in handing it out or did kids not want it? We want our good RBs to wear it but if they don't, then the tradition dies. That is why it was retired, no RBs had done anything with it for nearly 44 years.

I would love to see Tucker wear it if he wants to. We need the number to be live. But what is the plan after Tucker?

‘Richardson and Konrad 7 of Ps first 8 years. Pretty sure that Reyes didn’t want it

During that era it was used as a recruiting tool. We offered it to highly sought after recruits as a carrot. That was how Owens, Richardson, and Konrad got it. The first time I heard of it offered to someone after the fact was Reyes, I think prior to his senior year, and he decided to keep his number. We don't know if P offered it to other recruits. Maybe Mungro is offered and takes it, if Konrad doesn't already have it. Or maybe he takes it once Konrad graduates, but the tradition at that point was give it to a highly regarded incoming freshman. That likely hampered the ability to maintain the legacy by limiting it to unproven recruits that were sometimes busts. And it actually wasn't how it worked with the 3 legends. I believe back then 44 was issued to whoever was named the starter, so those guys all had to earn it before wearing it.

Leave it packed away until a worthy RB is offered it and wants it. If/when that happens he will be one of the biggest fan favorites in the modern era. Issuing it just to have people wear as a feel good thing would ruin any legacy it carries.

‘Richardson and Konrad 7 of Ps first 8 years. Pretty sure that Reyes didn’t want it
His last 6 years we had worthy RBs it is an issue if kids don’t wear it.

Sean Tucker is 5th in the nation in rushing yards after week 1. Would be awesome if he stayed in the top 10 all year.

And - it wasn't like he rang up that yardage against some patsy soupcan team.

He could do that in the first half against Albany.

76248AA3-CF5D-4C55-8C49-B7047BC2B13C.jpeg
Cooper Lutz and Justin Barron weigh in… I think the players care.

Someone said before I did, Clemson game if he’s play well and they are sitting at 5-1, 4-2
I think a spontaneous situation like this would be fantastic.

I think we're demonizing Jim Brown a bit too much on here. I think he's a VERY flawed individual who did some particularly awful things to women. But if memory serves me, he didn't take the easy way out and look for parole. He did his time in prison and served his sentence. I think his work with inner city gangs has to be commended as well.

We're not perfect. He's not perfect and I think he's admitted such. This isn't an OJ Simpson situation. As awful as the crimes he committed we need to have 1% nuance with regards to things

I think a spontaneous situation like this would be fantastic.

I think we're demonizing Jim Brown a bit too much on here. I think he's a VERY flawed individual who did some particularly awful things to women. But if memory serves me, he didn't take the easy way out and look for parole. He did his time in prison and served his sentence. I think his work with inner city gangs has to be commended as well.

We're not perfect. He's not perfect and I think he's admitted such. This isn't an OJ Simpson situation. As awful as the crimes he committed we need to have 1% nuance with regards to things
In 1965, Brown was charged with assault and battery after an 18-year-old woman alleged he forced her to have sex. He was acquitted by a jury.

In 1969, Brown was charged with assaulting a man over a traffic incident. He was acquitted.

In 1971, he was charged with battering two women. Both women chose not to testify.

In 1978, he spent a day in jail after beating a golfing partner.

In 1985, charges of rape, sexual battery, and assault against Brown were dropped after the 33-year-old woman who made the claims gave inconsistent testimony.

In 1986, Brown went to jail for allegedly beating his 21-year-old fiancée. A few days later, she informed authorities that she didn't want to press charges.

And in 1999, Brown was convicted after working out his frustrations on his 25-year-old wife's car. She previously claimed he was violent and abusive, but later testified that that was not true.

For the 1999 conviction, Brown was sentenced to probation and ordered to attend spousal-abuse counseling. He refused, asserting that the incident had nothing to do with domestic violence. For that remark, he enjoyed a brief trip to the slammer.

And yes now that he is an old man he said he shouldn't have done those things, he has anger issues, etc, blah blah blah. For 30 years he was not a good human being so no, his opinion doesn't mean as much to me as someone like Little who exemplified what a stand up human being should look like.

In 1965, Brown was charged with assault and battery after an 18-year-old woman alleged he forced her to have s e x. He was acquitted by a jury.

In 1969, Brown was charged with assaulting a man over a traffic incident. He was acquitted.

In 1971, he was charged with battering two women. Both women chose not to testify.

In 1978, he spent a day in jail after beating a golfing partner.

In 1985, charges of rape, s e xual battery, and assault against Brown were dropped after the 33-year-old woman who made the claims gave inconsistent testimony.

In 1986, Brown went to jail for allegedly beating his 21-year-old fiancée. A few days later, she informed authorities that she didn't want to press charges.

And in 1999, Brown was convicted after working out his frustrations on his 25-year-old wife's car. She previously claimed he was violent and abusive, but later testified that that was not true.

For the 1999 conviction, Brown was sentenced to probation and ordered to attend spousal-abuse counseling. He refused, asserting that the incident had nothing to do with domestic violence. For that remark, he enjoyed a brief trip to the slammer.

And yes now that he is an old man he said he shouldn't have done those things, he has anger issues, etc, blah blah blah. For 30 years he was not a good human being so no, his opinion doesn't mean as much to me as someone like Little who exemplified what a stand up human being should look like.
ok then take down the statue, remove him from the Syracuse story. If it's an absolute one way or the other then let's just do the "he doesn't exist at syracuse" thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom