Class of 2015 - So, I'm watching our commits Senior Highlights... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 So, I'm watching our commits Senior Highlights...

First thing I thought of with Clausman and Byrne was their lack of offers coming from a power house. I was a little worried about that but I watched their film over and over and I saw things that I dont see in any NYS lineman this year or in most years.
If they turn out anything close to Hickey or Pugh I can live with that.

I was a little skeptical of the STA guys lack of offers as well but their video looks solid. They might not have the highest ceiling of our OL recruits but I would bet they'll have the highest floor. They've played at an elite HS program where football is year round and recieved top notch coaching.

Looking at a guy like Evan Adams you might argue he has a higher ceiling but a lower floor. He appears to have many of the tools to be a really good tackle for us. He has size, good feet, and a mean streak. There are many variables that will play into where he ultimately ends up as others have mentioned.

I could be off base but IMO, you look for a blend of guys (high ceiling, high floor) as you truly never know how these kids will develop.

First thing I thought of with Clausman and Byrne was their lack of offers coming from a power house. I was a little worried about that but I watched their film over and over and I saw things that I dont see in any NYS lineman this year or in most years.

Same. These guys are well coached in fundamentals/technique.
If Marrone proved anything with recruiting, it's that offers don't mean a whole lot when it comes to o-line recruiting. He built the best o-lines we've had in some time with guys who had no/few offers.
That being said, can Shafers staff identify those same gems? That's to be seen at this point. This O-line haul overall is very impressive though. Also think A.J. Deurig will make a nice center.

i question the lack of offers for the STA kids to. The Clausman one to me is most head scratching though.

He was a 1st Team All-State Class 7A but did anyone know he made the Miami NIKE All-Combine team? 1500 players. He had the top SPARQ Rating for an offensive lineman on the day. That's not to shabby.

Results:
5.64 40,
5.16 SH,
40.0’ PB,
26.6” VJ,
81.39 SPARQ

So let's say we keep all the commits including Clark pick up pickard Howard and grimes comes back... What would the board call this year ?

Considering our record if we keep Clark, and get Pickard then i'd give the staff an A. We really need to get at worst 1 of these guys for our DL haul, not to mention some star power.

I'll admit earlier in the process I was one of the few that was down on the class. Not down as in this was a bad class, but I just thought we could have done better, considering last years haul. I was pretty vocal about a few of the early commitments like Wes Lindor, when we had some talented kids still very interested. Same with Ginnetti. Also at the time we had backed off Troy Henderson, and were going after that kid from Florida that ended up at Purdue. Hate it for the kids, but I think it was in our best interest that we pulled his scholarship, and upgraded the position with the addition of Trey, and if we can get Ginnetti as a grayshirt then that's great as well. I thought last years class was our best haul since the early 2000's, and was wanting to see us build upon that. I wasn't basing this years class on the star system, more who we were beating out for kids at the time, and my own eye test. Well since then we have been on a roll, and imo have closed with some quality kids with a bunch of options. If we can grab 1 of either Clark, Pickard, or Howard to close then imo i'd say this would be our 3rd best class post Grubber.

And I think if you look at any schools forum you will see a lot of the same mix of optimists and pessimist. I don't think it's just us?

I just feel like this class is a lot better than some posters and the rankings give them credit for. I'm happy with who we got, especially when you put on the tape.
Watching their video shows what they are capable of doing at their best . I would include Eric Dungey as a player I'm enthusiastic about,more than the current names on the roster. The only player that might be better is one that may never actually get her in Alin Edouard. He seems to be like one of those kind of players who said Orange and then disappeared into the blue. I'm not counting on him ever getting here. His whole leaving Syracuse for "personal reasons" was a giant crock full to the top.Some day maybe we will het the truth about what really was going on. At this point its merely academic, no pun meant. Other wise I agree with your post especially about the OL newcomers.

more than the current names on the roster.

images

I was a little skeptical of the STA guys lack of offers as well but their video looks solid. They might not have the highest ceiling of our OL recruits but I would bet they'll have the highest floor. They've played at an elite HS program where football is year round and recieved top notch coaching.

Looking at a guy like Evan Adams you might argue he has a higher ceiling but a lower floor. He appears to have many of the tools to be a really good tackle for us. He has size, good feet, and a mean streak. There are many variables that will play into where he ultimately ends up as others have mentioned.

I could be off base but IMO, you look for a blend of guys (high ceiling, high floor) as you truly never know how these kids will develop.
If and when they sign next week their ability will be in the hands of our coaching staff for pre-camp progress in S&C and coaching up in their red-shirt year which all OL freshman go through.

If and when they sign next week their ability will be in the hands of our coaching staff for pre-camp progress in S&C and coaching up in their red-shirt year which all OL freshman go through.

Yes, that's...how it works, Cali.

As a great philosopher once said, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"
He got "dumped no doubt and rationalized his way to that bit of wisdom.