So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach

So... just a guess on your part?

That's fine, so let's not pretend it's anything more than that. And I think you're completely wrong about the candidate pool wildhack will select from.
Total conjecture — with a healthy dose of logic and SU precedent baked in — and if it came off as anything greater, I apologize. It probably did.

Who is in your pool? And I am firmly of the belief this is one of the best 7-8 jobs in America. I am not a SU naysayer. I just don’t think it is reasonable to think that Wildhack will buy out another P5 head coach and provide a top 12 salary for our next HC. SU has not operated that way. Hopkins is the lone exception, if he wants to be.

No one is coming from the NBA and we are not hiring an SU version of Juwan Howard. So, now we downshift to Mid Majors and assistant coaches. The pool is not what it was 15-20 years ago when Brey, Donovan, Bo Ryan, Jamie Dixon (yuk!) we’re ready to pounce.

I personally don’t see any that are any better than our own AA. And Wildhack will (very likely) see that same logic.

12-18 months ago, I thought that Patrick Beilein was a legit candidate, but he started getting creepy and thinking below the waste, so that ain’t happening.

Lastly, look at the awkward hires at some of CBB’s prized programs the last ~five years. Indiana, Arizona (post Lute), Michigan, Texas, Pitt, Georgetown, Maryland, NC State, UCLA, etc. Forced fits.

There have been, to be fair, some hits in that timeframe too: Florida, Ohio State, Tennessee, Louisville, Pitt (both lists actually).

But why pay 3x as much to arguably decrease the odds of a 8-12 year fit?

Look at San Diego State post Fisher for a good comp with strong cultur carryover. Culture wins.

Michigan State will stay in house when Izzy departs. Same with Virginia if Bennett ever leaves. Same at Nova.

FWIW. from my source...Griff is considering it but far from a done deal or packing his bags. It's more money but Syracuse is home. Weighing his options. And none of the coaches are worried about the next coach coming in. When JB hangs it up and say they hire from the outside, they are going to have to keep the assistants to keep the current players on roster (especially since our assistants do the heavy recruiting). JW doesn't want a mass exodus of players when that time comes."
AGAIN FWIW, take it with a grain of salt
I know you’re usually spot on.. but man doing a national search then telling the new guy “you have to keep the assistants on staff” is a tough sell..

I know you’re usually spot on.. but man doing a national search then telling the new guy “you have to keep the assistants on staff” is a tough sell..

Yup. If you’re gonna do that, then promote one of the guys on staff. Whoever is HC should get to pick his own staff.

And I am firmly of the belief this is one of the best 7-8 jobs in America. I am not a SU naysayer.

No one is coming from the NBA and we are not hiring an SU version of Juwan Howard. So, now we downshift to Mid Majors and assistant coaches.

I personally don’t see any that are any better than our own AA. And Wildhack will (very likely) see that same logic.
If Syracuse is a top 8 job, we better be selecting from a pool larger than mid majors or assistant coaches. AA is not even close to the resume we need on the sidelines.

If Syracuse is a top 8 job, we better be selecting from a pool larger than mid majors or assistant coaches. AA is not even close to the resume we need on the sidelines.

To me, it depends on how the upcoming seasons go. If we’re rolling on the court and recruiting well, and are bringing back a loaded team(that AA had a huge hand in recruiting/coaching)?? I think I’d be good with Autry.

If we keep going 18-13, that’s a different story.

There are a number of reasons it’ll end up on Autry, some with a greater affect than others: not many obvious young up-and-coming candidates (if Nate Oats is the best, CBB is in trouble), Autry is ready, Wildhack will want significant say/level of control (he’s human), sentiment for continuity/would be a poor look for SU to bypass Autry, less change for top-level boosters to absorb/process, established “policy” of reluctance to pay top dollar for coaches (SU is conservative with its spending), Boeheim will bless his candidacy and be available for tutelage, taking the internal candidate worked WONDERFULLY last time.

Hopkins will have first dibs, but in the end, Autry will get the well-deserved nod.
Hopkins is a conundrum; the ultimate good cop. He can recruit but can he be a winner? Does he need a bad cop to make the hard decisions? My 2 cents is that as time goes on he will figure out how to win. but he is not there yet.

Who says the HC won’t be someone who has sat on the bench before ;). i truly think Hop comes back and takes it.
But I agree with you, it is a tough sell but if this new rule of no sitting out transfer goes into action, it’s going to change the game and you’ll need connections at the program to keep the athletes.

There are a number of reasons it’ll end up on Autry, some with a greater affect than others: not many obvious young up-and-coming candidates (if Nate Oats is the best, CBB is in trouble), Autry is ready, Wildhack will want significant say/level of control (he’s human), sentiment for continuity/would be a poor look for SU to bypass Autry, less change for top-level boosters to absorb/process, established “policy” of reluctance to pay top dollar for coaches (SU is conservative with its spending), Boeheim will bless his candidacy and be available for tutelage, taking the internal candidate worked WONDERFULLY last time.

Hopkins will have first dibs, but in the end, Autry will get the well-deserved nod.

That's just such small thinking. Sorry. I hope we do better than that.
We make I believe the third most income of any college basketball team.
An empty Dome earns no money.

Not a slam more curious question - do people really thinks SU is one of the top 8 jobs in the country, factoring in everything from pay, to location, to tradition, etc? Fans I'm sure do - outsiders...not sure.

Not a slam more curious question - do people really thinks SU is one of the top 8 jobs in the country, factoring in everything from pay, to location, to tradition, etc? Fans I'm sure do - outsiders...not sure.
Idk ask the poster who made that statement

Idk ask the poster who made that statement
So, when you consider SU's recruiting proximity to Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Canada, NE Prep Schools ... the Dome/Melo Center ... the ACC ... the heritage that comes with 50 straight winning seasons ... the fanbase/"basketball school" reputation ... current clean slate with the NCAA (sorry UL & KU) ... the AD/Chancellor, ... how many jobs are better?

So, when you consider SU's recruiting proximity to Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Canada, NE Prep Schools ... the Dome/Melo Center ... the ACC ... the heritage that comes with 50 straight winning seasons ... the fanbase/"basketball school" reputation ... current clean slate with the NCAA (sorry UL & KU) ... the AD/Chancellor, ... how many jobs are better?
Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Kansas, Arizona.

It’s debatable on several others. We aren’t a top 5 job but we are in that second tier because of the Dome and fanbase.

Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Kansas, Arizona.

It’s debatable on several others. We aren’t a top 5 job but we are in that second tier because of the Dome and fanbase.

Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, and Arizona are debatable. Money-wise, we can match them. None have a conference ‘prestige’ or revenue share advantage. Indiana has a tradition advantage (I guess, though they haven’t been relevant in a long time), the others don’t. Arizona is warm, the others aren’t. In terms of basketball recruiting, their ground isn’t any more fertile than ours

So you were right that we’re not top 5. We have a strong case for #6, though.

Some good discussion, couldn't read it all. Bottom line is if the job is the #1 asst seat at Indiana Griff would likely accept it. But there is a reason that Griff came to SU in 2017 instead of going to Indiana with Archie Miller. Could be as simple as #2 chair in Syracuse vs. the #3 chair at Indiana?? I have no idea. I know we as SU fans like to look down at ...well to be honest...everyone else...but Indiana is a program on par with Syracuse historically. It may be a good opportunity for Griff. He's familiar with the recruiting area (Dayton is less than 40 miles from the Indiana border), and it may be a promotion. But its not Syracuse. And he won't be spending near as much time driving around the Northeast (there is something to be said for that). And Griff might have an idea of who is in line to replace JB and may know him fairly well. So there's that too. My only hope is that we get to see Griff on the sidelines this season, no matter where he is.

Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, and Arizona are debatable. Money-wise, we can match them. None have a conference ‘prestige’ or revenue share advantage. Indiana has a tradition advantage (I guess, though they haven’t been relevant in a long time), the others don’t. Arizona is warm, the others aren’t. In terms of basketball recruiting, their ground isn’t any more fertile than ours

So you were right that we’re not top 5. We have a strong case for #6, though.
Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana and Arizona will pay more than Syracuse.
They have a lot larger athletic budgets.
Syracuse will pay to keep a guy but we wouldn’t spend what Ohio State did to get their guy from Butler.

Syracuse is a good job but we won’t pay what these schools have in hiring coaches.

Some good discussion, couldn't read it all. Bottom line is if the job is the #1 asst seat at Indiana Griff would likely accept it. But there is a reason that Griff came to SU in 2017 instead of going to Indiana with Archie Miller. Could be as simple as #2 chair in Syracuse vs. the #3 chair at Indiana?? I have no idea. I know we as SU fans like to look down at ...well to be honest...everyone else...but Indiana is a program on par with Syracuse historically. It may be a good opportunity for Griff. He's familiar with the recruiting area (Dayton is less than 40 miles from the Indiana border), and it may be a promotion. But its not Syracuse. And he won't be spending near as much time driving around the Northeast (there is something to be said for that). And Griff might have an idea of who is in line to replace JB and may know him fairly well. So there's that too. My only hope is that we get to see Griff on the sidelines this season, no matter where he is.
Unless Griff knows he has a job here on the next staff I actually would have gone to Indiana.
He would have moved a chair up and still in a job he could work his way up.
Being the #3 at Syracuse is a good job but we are going to have a change at HC in the near future. Archie has the Indiana job for a while.

Louisville is up for some serious probation (they've always cheated), as is Arizona and Kansas. I debate you on Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana. All are formidable, but there is no way that all three are > SU.
  • OSU has the best "setup" as the lone P5 state school, but historically has performed worse that Michigan and IU. The Buckeyes have made two final fours in the last 55 years (no titles) and run third-fiddle to football and spring football.
  • IU has REALLY struggled this millennium (20+ wins only 7 times the last 17 years) and has to compete in-state with ND and Purdue (both have really really good head coaches).
  • For the last 25 years, Michigan has run second fiddle to MSU, and will, as long as Izzo's around.
Again, all three are formidable programs. Likely top 15 in nature. Nothing to sneeze at. But SU is better IMHO, and if not, it is certainly not behind all three.

Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana and Arizona will pay more than Syracuse.
They have a lot larger athletic budgets.
Syracuse will pay to keep a guy but we wouldn’t spend what Ohio State did to get their guy from Butler.

Syracuse is a good job but we won’t pay what these schools have in hiring coaches.

That depends on the Athletic Director. In terms of money available to pay a basketball coach, none of the schools have a decided advantage. Ohio State and Michigan keep their money on the football side. We beat them all in revenue and “profit” on the basketball side.

Last edited by a moderator:
All things equal money wise I don’t think Syracuse basketball job is better than Arizona, Ohio State, Michigan people can disagree.
It’s all subjective.
I think this is where Boeheim deserves more credit he has made this job better but we are overrating ourselves a bit.
Our fanbase is why the job is as good as it is.
I think we are 8-15 best job in the nation.
It’s not a disgrace to say that.

I also think college hoops are different than football. Football the top jobs can recruit for themselves. Basketball you have to work a lot harder to recruit.

Louisville is up for some serious probation (they've always cheated), as is Arizona and Kansas. I debate you on Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana. All are formidable, but there is no way that all three are > SU.
  • OSU has the best "setup" as the lone P5 state school, but historically has performed worse that Michigan and IU. The Buckeyes have made two final fours in the last 55 years (no titles) and run third-fiddle to football and spring football.
  • IU has REALLY struggled this millennium (20+ wins only 7 times the last 17 years) and has to compete in-state with ND and Purdue (both have really really good head coaches).
  • For the last 25 years, Michigan has run second fiddle to MSU, and will, as long as Izzo's around.
Again, all three are formidable programs. Likely top 15 in nature. Nothing to sneeze at. But SU is better IMHO, and if not, it is certainly not behind all three.
In today’s day of iPhones and people getting bored quickly history doesn’t matter as much for non blue bloods.

Our history is for our fanbase.
Recruits don’t really care that much of that.
Gonzaga kills it in recruiting and they got no history beyond Mark Few.

Syracuse basketball is an elite job but it’s not better than these blueblood football jobs that care about basketball when they invest in their basketball programs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom