So it begins: bye bye, Randy Edsall | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

So it begins: bye bye, Randy Edsall

Meanwhile on the West Coast...

InsideUSC‏@InsideUSC 2m2 minutes ago
A #USC source called me during practice to say Steve Sarkisian was not in "good shape" this morning

Lindsey Thiry
I'm told players just met w/Pat Haden and Clay Helton is interim coach as Haden has asked Sarkisian to take a temp. leave of absence #USC

Last edited:
GoSU96 said:
Ah, hell no!
Agree. Several years ago I may have felt differently. But he's now yesterday's news. Just amazing how quickly he fell out of grace.

Meanwhile on the West Coast...

InsideUSC‏@InsideUSC 2m2 minutes ago
A #USC source called me during practice to say Steve Sarkisian was not in "good shape" this morning

Lindsey Thiry
I'm told players just met w/Pat Haden and Clay Helton is interim coach as Haden has asked Sarkisian to take a temp. leave of absence #USC
If true, sounds as if Sarkisian has some serious issues to work on. I can't imagine the pressure of the USC job (or any P5 job for that matter) helped with any existing problems. Hope he gets the help he needs.

If true, sounds as if Sarkisian has some serious issues to work on. I can't imagine the pressure of the USC job (or any P5 job for that matter) helped with any existing problems. Hope he gets the help he needs.
This guy needs serious help. It's getting really embarrassing for him and USC

Agree. Several years ago I may have felt differently. But he's now yesterday's news. Just amazing how quickly he fell out of grace.

If he was hired, I'd have a lot more free time.

No way we would hire him. Right?
If something were to happen, his name would definitely get mentioned just because he's a grad and been a head coach for a long time. What's the reality that he would actually get consideration? All depends on what the job is like when it opens and the other candidates IMO. He is 6-3 against us. Thanks Gerg.

djorange1989 said:
He isn't going to even get a call from Coyle if a change gets made. No way. What the hell has the guy done to warrant another P5 job anywhere? He is a surly jerk, alum at SU and at MD don't like him. He did nothing as Terps coach. Locksley should be interesting the rest of the way. Does he punch out an assistant coach again? More harassment suits? Lending Mrs. Locksley's car to a player? Oh the possibilities!

How do you know alum don't like him? You mean posters here who graduated from SU? I know it's been 6 years and doubt we'd even talk to him now, but before Marrone there was a lot of alum support for Edsall and an alum was the go between for him and SU during negotiations.

How do you know alum don't like him? You mean posters here who graduated from SU? I know it's been 6 years and doubt we'd even talk to him now, but before Marrone there was a lot of alum support for Edsall and an alum was the go between for him and SU during negotiations.
All true. But one would have to think that his stock is really low. His support at Maryland was greater than the support at Syracuse. I can't imagine the rational for hiring him other than he went here.

dasher said:
All true. But one would have to think that his stock is really low. His support at Maryland was greater than the support at Syracuse. I can't imagine the rational for hiring him other than he went here.

I agree with that. That's why I said I doubt we'd even talk to him. It's been 6 years.

i was tempted to make a joke about opa being old but seeing the 80s makes you old now. what's the difference at this point sigh

Hey be honest, you saw the 70's, you just don't remember them. :)

here's my theory. when dispassionate outside observers look at other schools, they try to answer a different question than fans do. dispassionate outsiders will essentially say "you're [insert school here], know your place, you're not that good, appreciate what you have" boring ordinary competent coach might give you a higher average number of wins per year. where a fan of a school might not care as much about maximizing the average number of wins per year. maybe they want to try to maximize the number of good seasons. it might require taking a little more risk (risk/reward, like everything else) and fans might be ok with a higher variance strategies that get them more really memorable years.

dispassionate observers put no value on hope - they don't care about maryland, they don't root for maryland, so they don't value increased hope. if edsall doesn't give MD fans hope, they will pay extra for hope. even if it means there's a chance they'll be worse.

shooting for the moon sometimes mean you hire a george mcdonald. oh well move on

edsall is the type of guy who an impartial search committee finds when they're solving a different less risky question than what fans want

Over the weekend I was reminded of this topic by the Bengals.

Marvin Lewis has been the HC at Cincinnati for years. He has had some success but has never made a Super Bowl - I'm not even sure he's won a play-off game.

Many owners/administrators would have fired him long ago on that basis.

A change would have been made with no promise for greater success. And, in many instances if not most, the next coach would have not have fared as well as Lewis.

So, now, the Bengals look like they could get to the Super Bowl - and much of that hope has derived from the patience shown by ownership.

I think that's the right approach.

I also thought of the University of Tennessee and the decision to fire Coach Fulmer. The guy had won an NC and lots of games. And ever since they decided to fire the guy the Vols have been a mess with I think three or four coaches.

It will be interesting to see how MD does now that Edsall is gone.

Over the weekend I was reminded of this topic by the Bengals.

Marvin Lewis has been the HC at Cincinnati for years. He has had some success but has never made a Super Bowl - I'm not even sure he's won a play-off game.

Many owners/administrators would have fired him long ago on that basis.

A change would have been made with no promise for greater success. And, in many instances if not most, the next coach would have not have fared as well as Lewis.

So, now, the Bengals look like they could get to the Super Bowl - and much of that hope has derived from the patience shown by ownership.

I think that's the right approach.

I also thought of the University of Tennessee and the decision to fire Coach Fulmer. The guy had won an NC and lots of games. And ever since they decided to fire the guy the Vols have been a mess with I think three or four coaches.

It will be interesting to see how MD does now that Edsall is gone.
Are you saying that Edsall was doing a good job at Maryland? And that he should have kept his job long in to the future based on his performance? Or that Cinn would have been incapable of having a big year if they didn't replace Lewis? how about he actually wins 1 playoff game before we state that they could get to the super bowl. I'm not all in on firing coach's without giving them a fair shot. But there certainly is a time long before you seem to. Under this logic, we should have kept gerg longer than we did.

Are you saying that Edsall was doing a good job at Maryland? And that he should have kept his job long in to the future based on his performance? Or that Cinn would have been incapable of having a big year if they didn't replace Lewis? how about he actually wins 1 playoff game before we state that they could get to the super bowl. I'm not all in on firing coach's without giving them a fair shot. But there certainly is a time long before you seem to. Under this logic, we should have kept gerg longer than we did.

I see his point. Giants stick with Coughlin, the Mets stick with Collins. Programs where coaches stay (Villanova, Gonzaga) build up massive continuity. Only one team holds a trophy at the end of the year, what's the best way to get there?

Maryland traded down removing Fridge. Just don't get that move.

I see his point. Giants stick with Coughlin, the Mets stick with Collins. Programs where coaches stay (Villanova, Gonzaga) build up massive continuity. Only one team holds a trophy at the end of the year, what's the best way to get there?

Should the Giants have stuck with Ray Perkins or Jim Fassel? ;)

Should the Giants have stuck with Ray Perkins or Jim Fassel? ;)
Copyofhandley.jpg

Should the Pats have stuck with Pete Carroll? I think coach's are fired too quickly too often. However, it's not a lifetime job. And fresh voices are often needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom