So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently

Whose fault is that? Dare I say, both of them? Putting a freshman into the starting lineup because of an injury, which happens, and is the reason why depth matters (of all teams, we should know this after 2010), amidst a losing streak, where your team cannot hit the broad side of a barn for most of the game, is not putting that player in the best position to succeed.

Yes, he looks timid out there, I agree. But look at our entire offense.

It seems to me that Roberson has been given multiple chances to be given a role and he hasn't taken advantage of it.

Yes, he looks timid out there, I agree. But look at our entire offense.
Seriously, Gbinije is 3 years out of highschool (the same age as Kyrie Irving) and he looks petrified to take a shot. That's not a direct comparison of the two, but three seasons on DI basketball practice should have prepared someone with talent to make skilled plays.

among his many snipes JB said last night that he (roberson) doesn't understand the offense. well frankly i'm a bit flummoxed as well.

Last edited:
Everyone has complained about Cooney when he hasn't played well

And last year when Cooney was throwing up bricks, I don't remember JB chastising him during a post-game presser. He didn't bury Cooney after he went 0-3 in 11 minutes during the Georgetown debacle last season. Because it wasn't Cooney's fault SU couldn't crack 40.

It's poor a showing by Boeheim. Tyler Roberson is waaaaaay down on the list of things on this team that need to improve.

Right. I believe his exact quote a few months ago referring to Cooney last year was "I've never seen a guy shoot well from the bench" - basically ignoring his poor FG %.
Interesting. Pretty sure he got more run that TR has this year.

among his many snipes JB said last night that he (roberson) doesn't understand the offense. well frankly i'm a bit flummoxed as well.

Me too. What's to understand, exactly?

IMO JB's comments were directed at all of the media and message board "experts" who were questioning why Roberson doesn't get more PT and calling for him to start in place of Grant. I don't think his comments were directed at Roberson, and we don't know what he has told him privately.

I haven't read this whole thread, but it's a real dick thing to say. Can tyler help? Maybe yes, maybe no. He looks very tentative out there, which is certainly at least in part because he hasn't been given much of a chance to play. (Which i am not going to knock JB for; you gotta play your best players and Jerami and CJ are better than he is, they should play ahead of him). But the kid always (ALWAYS!) hustles his ass off, seems like you don't really need to throw him under the bus like that. I'm sure this has been pointed out, but it's at least partially the coaches job to make sure he understands the offense/defense, no?

Side point I feel like throwing in here; why does it seem like the only time we try to feed Rak in the post is the rare times when he and Baye are on the court together?

Maybe if JB had the team watch some freaking film and break down their games instead of calling it boring then Roberson could see his mistakes. I get JB doesn't like watching film study for hours on hours, but completely ignoring it and then trashing the kid is a joke. Some people are better learning with visuals.

I guess he feels this is a way to motivate Roberson? Last year with Cooney is a bad example. If JB talks about how Cooney couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, how does that help a shooter get confidence?

Saying a kid isn't helping the team is unnecessarily harsh, but maybe JB knows better how to get to him than we do. Hopefully, Roberson gets pissed and responds on the court. I will say, the kid at least seems to hustle out there, even if he's providing little else. Nobody beats him up and down the court.

he may or may not have lost this team but he sure as hell has lost a top 30 player. he may never get him back again. if you think Roberson has buy in to this team now then he must be going through the Patti Hearst syndrome. Rule number one support your player in a public. JAB was more concerned about criticism of him as a coach. Player is sacrificed to retort the critic.

I thought JB's rep was he was loyal - particularly to his players. He has publicly and unnecessarily (and I think largely inaccurately) thrown both Rak and Roberson under the bus. Dick moves from the HOFer.

"Saying a kid isn't helping the team is unnecessarily harsh ..."

and saying post game a kid's play is actually "hurting" the team...

Last edited:
JB has been doing this for years. Seems to be pretty good at his job.

Is this what I miss when spending so much time away from the hoops board?

Roberson is a big boy. He'll be fine.

Soon enough, Hopkins will be the head coach, and we won't have to listen to any mean things anymore.

think_of_the_children.jpg

Roberson was FAR from the biggest problem last night's game. And sutomcat, respectfully, Roberson is actually a very good defender in the zone and can make up for most of his freshman mistakes with his quickness and ability to react.

CJ Fair didn't box out NUMEROUS times last night. He has been playing John Wallace level defense (NOTE: That's not a good thing) all season and while his offense was much better in the second half, he gave up his share of points on D and has all year.

Asking a kid who has played sparingly for the better part of two months to come in and play for 25 minutes is absolutely ridiculous. These kids aren't machines.

Don't have a problem with JB criticizing his players. That's his deal. But I do have a problem with it if it's unwarranted and I don't think it's warranted in this case.

Another thought I just had:
Can we agree Tyler's main issue right now is being tentative and lacking confidence? He hustles his ass off when he is in the game. So I feel like the worst thing to say is he can't help us at all. If the kid is being lazy and not giving his all, then maybe that is a way to light a fire under his ass, I get it; but Tyler doesn't have confidence and now JB is saying that he basically sucks right now. Not sure how th at's gonna work.

Standard caveats apply here about how JB has won a million more games than I do, knows more about motivating players, etc.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say.

Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.

This is why hearsay 'evidence' is not admissible in court. Am I the only one who wants to know what question this statement was in response to? If the quote is accurate, and as I suspect in response to a question about Roberson's play Tuesday nght, it is not the same thing as saying he "gives the team nothing." Nor is he, as at least a dozen posters seem to think, blaming the team's performance on Roberson, nor "throwing him under the bus." Jesus, Mary and Joseph you guys ranted for five pages on pure bullsh!t - or, I'm assuming five because I couldn't get much farther than the first page and a half and this last one.

This thread reminds me of ...

Sky.jpg

edit: The post I actually and completely agreed with was, "I wonder if anyone knows the offense."

Last edited:
you can listen for yourself above. orange eyes (always on it) has posted the presser. then spin away!

If Roberson had played more this year I bet he wouldn't have stepped over the line when tyring to inbound the ball. That was a dousy. smfh

see it all the time. can't remember the last time it was called. esp. against non pressure

IMO JB's comments were directed at all of the media and message board "experts" who were questioning why Roberson doesn't get more PT and calling for him to start in place of Grant. I don't think his comments were directed at Roberson, and we don't know what he has told him privately.

I'm starting to agree with this and that is a HUGE problem in my book. I'm starting to think he would rather lose his way than win by changing something and as a result having a fat guy yell "I told you so!" in the parking lot of Delmonico's.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say.

Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.

What offense???? CJ coming off a double screen, then getting double teamed every possession, or Cooney bricking a three??? We run the same play over and over.

Roberson is clearly afraid to make a mistake. You can see it. Passes up shots. Very tentative. You can't play like that.
He was four feet from the basket last night and passed it out. Clearly afraid to take a shot. Wonder why??

I'm starting to agree with this and that is a HUGE problem in my book. I'm starting to think he would rather lose his way than win by changing something and as a result having a fat guy yell "I told you so!" in the parking lot of Delmonico's.
It seems pretty obvious from his post-game press conferences that JB has little tolerance for reporters etc. questioning his coaching decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom