so much bad basketball | Syracusefan.com

so much bad basketball

upperdeck

Living Legend
Watching teams play such bad basketball like FSU/Houston and be so highly thought of is hard to see.

teams lose their mind chasing the 3, but the dribbling and passing and dumb fouls. Some of these top 40 teams its just a matter how helter skelter can they make the game.. WV is much the same.

Have you watched Syracuse games besides the last 2 weeks?

Have you watched Syracuse games besides the last 2 weeks?
we had a few stretches were the D just couldnt stop people several were just bad halves.. we had spots where we couldnt make shots.. I dont recall all that much bad basketball. although the behind the back pass off Quincys foot was pretty bad.

guys shooting shots because they all think they can shoot like Curry now..

And the guys like Curry are only in college for one year, if even.

Teams can't develop the same type of chemistry that they could in the past.

It's a different sport with much less talent than we all grew up on. Nothing will change it at this point.

This is the first year in my life I've watched more NBA than college. I'm not saying the competition level in college was ever close to the NBA, but the disparity now is without question greater than it's ever been.

I was watching the osu game last night and Walton had one of his lucid moments calling out a guard who drove by his man only to run into two other defenders who were firmly established. Charge called appropriately. Walton said what I say to my kid ab some of his teammates all the time. Instead of trying to drive into 2 bigger defenders, pull up and take an easy 10-14 foot jumper. My kid is excellent at this, to the point I call it The “VT Jrs name.”

Joe made the wrong choice, and took it to a guy a full foot taller than him against UVA. Buddy would have made the right choice. These are just examples, not meant to degrade our players. I think this is just one of the ways AAU hoops has overall hurt the game. Teaching kids poor fundamentals.

Our biggest dumb basketball achilles is taking bad shots. Joe and Alan take quite a few of them and they are really really bad shots sometimes. Those are just live ball turnovers and have hindered us significantly this year. Getting that one thing under control alone would make us a significantly better team.

I was watching the osu game last night and Walton had one of his lucid moments calling out a guard who drove by his man only to run into two other defenders who were firmly established. Charge called appropriately. Walton said what I say to my kid ab some of his teammates all the time. Instead of trying to drive into 2 bigger defenders, pull up and take an easy 10-14 foot jumper. My kid is excellent at this, to the point I call it The “VT Jrs name.”

Joe made the wrong choice, and took it to a guy a full foot taller than him against UVA. Buddy would have made the right choice. These are just examples, not meant to degrade our players. I think this is just one of the ways AAU hoops has overall hurt the game. Teaching kids poor fundamentals.
refusing to take the short jumper is a huge issue in todays game.. as is not under standing the backboard is your friend on many shots.. Do they even practice that shot any more . All those hours we had to spend shooting that 10 ft bank shot and you can go weeks now without seeing one.

refusing to take the short jumper is a huge issue in todays game.. as is not under standing the backboard is your friend on many shots.. Do they even practice that shot any more . All those hours we had to spend shooting that 10 ft bank shot and you can go weeks now without seeing one.
Such a great call on using the backboard. I watched a buddy’s kid blow two bunnies from within 5 ft just yesterday. You could immediately tell he got caught trying to decide if he should use the board or go straight in. Knew exactly what he did in that moment of indecision would lead to missed shots. And his dad is the figurative king of using the board in old man hoops up here. If you use the board every time, there’s no decision to make, and it’s automatic.

Last edited:
Such a great call on using the backboard. I watched a buddy kid blow two bunnies from within 5 ft just yesterday. You could immediately tell he got caught trying to decide if he should use the board or go straight in. Knew exactly what he did in that moment of indecision would lead to missed shots. And his dad is the figurative king of using the board in old man hoops up here. If you use the board every time, there’s no decision to make, and it’s automatic.
also much harder to block since most people block in the direction of the rim.

Walton loves the jump stop! I'm a big fan too, but that isn't an easy shot if you don't practice it. Run full speed dribble, jump stop and shoot. Takes some time to get the feel.

Walton loves the jump stop! I'm a big fan too, but that isn't an easy shot if you don't practice it. Run full speed dribble, jump stop and shoot. Takes some time to get the feel.
True. But if you aren’t 6’8” and can jump out of the gym, it’s an excellent tool to have in your toolbox.

It used to be a standard one on one move. Fake one way, go hard the other way, jump stop, 10-12 footer off the glass.
It should be as fundamental as any other offensive skill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom