So this is it, no Roberson huh? :( | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So this is it, no Roberson huh? :(

There is often some back and forth. Maybe he was denied and he and his school have been basically appealing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure this is what is going on.

at this point, I'd put it closer to "aware of the possibility" than actually "worried"

SU has supported and backed him fully throughout this episode . . . proven loyalty is a card that nobody else can play

To say nothing of being able to say "We figured out how good you were before those other guys paid you any attention."

I'm pretty sure this is what is going on.

Another way for people to look at it is that every student athlete, even the straight A student, is ineligible until the clearinghouse gives you the ok. It's up to the school/athlete to provide acceptable evidence that they meet all the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoever is doing the clearing is really hurting us. If he doesn't get informed today, I hope they feel just as hurt, just as long, as the most diehard fans do every loss this season.

Without a eventual inelgible ruling, they deserve a meltdown just as bad, as the ones this board gets annually.

Okay, exactly what time today does the add/drop period end?

Okay, exactly what time today does the add/drop period end?

I understand that add / drop provides structure for normal students, but I have to believe that the process would be circumvented as needed to accommodate Roberson if he gets cleared after the deadline. Athletes get preferential treatment at many schools when it comes to class selection, etc.

It's ok, BJ will just have to be the next Kobe Bryant one year sooner.

I understand that add / drop provides structure for normal students, but I have to believe that the process would be circumvented as needed to accommodate Roberson if he gets cleared after the deadline. Athletes get preferential treatment at many schools when it comes to class selection, etc.

Yeah, I think there is a chance that even if Tyler doesn't get cleared by the add/drop deadline, if he does get cleared in the day or two after that, he might be ok

Special treatment would be a NCAA violation. While he could put his signature on a bunch of memorabilia for an undocumented cash payment, he can't be allowed to add classes after the deadline...and no I couldn't type that with a straight face.

Special treatment would be a NCAA violation. While he could put his signature on a bunch of memorabilia for an undocumented cash payment, he can't be allowed to add classes after the deadline...and no I couldn't type that with a straight face.

I don't know about that, and I'm not trying to be argumentative. I went to Cornell--hardly a revenue generating sports factory--and every athlete I knew got preferential consideration for enrolling in classes, academic support, latitude on missing assignment due dates / exams due to their travel schedule, etc.

Not to split hairs, but I think how you define "special treatment" is important here, because there were numerous ways where they get treated differently than rank-and-file students, even at a school like Cornell.

I don't know about that, and I'm not trying to be argumentative. I went to Cornell--hardly a revenue generating sports factory--and every athlete I knew got preferential consideration for enrolling in classes, academic support, latitude on missing assignment due dates / exams due to their travel schedule, etc.

Not to split hairs, but I think how you define "special treatment" is important here, because there were numerous ways where they get treated differently than rank-and-file students, even at a school like Cornell.

Good point. And I'm not sure it would be a violation if SU granted TR a extra day or two to add/drop courses, because of the delay in his eligibility determination.

Good point. And I'm not sure it would be a violation if SU granted TR a extra day or two to add/drop courses, because of the delay in his eligibility determination.

Well how is the ncaa going to enforce it for going 2 days over? The ncaa has gone 5 weeks over.

Cornell is of course an Ivy and doesn't grant athletic scholarships... this may sound naive, but would the NCAA's rules be selectively applied / not applicable in instances where athletic scholarships are not on the table, and thus the singular "advantage" the NCAA would point to as reason to disallow other benefits is absent?

Not trying to sound right, or logical. Just showing anger instead of tolerance for being screwed.

If one of the "clearing people" was a diehard Cuse fan do you think its possible we get a awnser last week?Like the harrison twins at kentucky did?
I am curious when the last time this exact circumstance happened to a duke, unc or uk recruit.
What if their recruits handed in grades as late as Roberson, do they get someone to move the papers to the top of the pile?

I completed the last 18 months of my college career by manipulating the old add/drop system which consisted of getting the instructors signature on the add-drop form, attending the classes until the money came in, and then eventually "adding" the class.
There were 3 carbon paper copies to handle: white, pink, yellow. The white copy was the admissions, the pink the instructors, and the yellow the students. By getting the instructor's sig on the first day of class, taking every test and lesson, and then...once the money came through, submitting the form to the bursars office, I was able to get credit and pay for classes weeks after the semester started. I once officially "registered" for a class 2 weeks before the final. True story.
Obviously, this was before full-fledged computer registration, but it worked for me and I eventually graduated. :cool:

Honestly, none of this Roberson stuff shocks me too much. One of my favorite advertising professors at Newhouse had a great saying that puts debacles like this into perspective:

"Just think about how stupid the average American is. Now realize that about 50% of the population is even dumber than that."

For all we know, the staff at Roberson's school are the ones at fault.

I would imagine that he can submit a 'petition to the faculty' form (I think that's what it's called) that, if approved, would allow him to enroll even though he missed the deadlines. Forms like this exist (and are available to all students) precisely for situations such as this one where extenuating circumstances come into play.

Ditto for the lax players at "powerhouse" Hobart. Roberson will get every advantage needed if it gets that far.

Not going to fight back I enjoy a good debate and drive for whats best for the team, and Roberson is best for the team.
Don't even care about whats legal or right, all I know is we recruited Roberson, he could be our best players since Carmelo Anthony, and I think he would be huge for this team. My mind is on this years ballclub not next years. I still envision him or Grant at the two and Fair swapping with them on offense, as they would be our best players and sometimes, you just play your best players reguardless of position.

I hope he hasn't given up the will to make up this weeks classes yet.

I don't think you are wrong, and I am pretty sure the athletes at SU get similar treatment, but in this case, the public information from SU has said he needs to be cleared by the add/drop deadline. If the NCAA doesn't clear him today (let's say it happens on Thursday), and suddenly Roberson is enrolled, I think the NCAA would want to know why SU isn't following their stated deadline, which leads to bigger problems.

I don't agree with this stance, but it is what it is for the time being. We are stuck with the NCAA for worse or for historically awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom