So what are we playing these last 3 games for? | Syracusefan.com

So what are we playing these last 3 games for?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I'm going to start with three assumptions:

1. Dungey is out for the year
2. We're not winning all three to get bowl eligible
3. The staff will not be retained

Assuming all three are true (or whatever your own assumptions are), what do you hope to accomplish in the next three games?

I'd prioritize like this:

1. No more injuries
2. Get reps to anybody with a ticking eligibility clock (all the true freshmen that have played, guys like Custis that haven't cracked the two deep but can maybe show something with a little more opportunity, etc.)
3. Make sure the Seniors have a nice moment or two as a thank you for their work and effort over the years
4. Emphasize break out games, ie, force feed the ball to any of Fredericks, Ish, Estime, Philips in order to give the fans some hope that there's a reasonable core coming back next season

I realize my three assumptions might all be wrong, and in some cases might work against my priorities, ie, the staff likely cares more about having the best record possible than they do getting everybody some game time.

Possibly we only need 2 wins to be bowl eligible.

It is hard to imagine beating anybody but BC and that is far from certain. Lester won't change a thing.

OttoinGrotto said:
That changes nothing in my mind.

I said before the year that I would be ok with 5-7. So I'll stick with that. NC State is significantly better than us, so that would be a good win if we could pull that off.

Though I assume Clemson will murder us, NC State will murder us and BC's quarterback, who hasn't done s*** all year, will look like an all American.

I wouldn't mind if the universe turned upside down and the backup QB who's having a career day is wearing a Syracuse uniform.

Unfortunately unless Coyle has told them in private, the staff is going to be trying to enhance their resumes the final 3 weeks. Yesterday showed that the strategy was not to protect the players, but to try and make the score look better.

I was only listening to the game at that point, but why was Ishmael in the game at the end? Was Custis, or Enoicy/Womack also on the field? How about Conway? I just don't understand burning a year and then not using guys in those kinds of situations.

I am sure Shafer feels sick about Dungey getting hurt, but there was no reason for any starters to be out there at that point. I might even agree with Bud that sitting Dungey the rest of the year is the right move.

Possibly we only need 2 wins to be bowl eligible.
About as likely (the wins and/or the bowl) as the entire Alabama team transferring this week to SU and becoming immediately eligible.

About as likely (the wins and/or the bowl) as the entire Alabama team transferring this week to SU and becoming immediately eligible.
7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

(just making a joke)

We'd need to be the only 5-7 team in the country for a bowl to want us.
'Want' and 'we have a spot we need to fill' are two different things.

Scooch said:
We'd need to be the only 5-7 team in the country for a bowl to want us.

Not really so I'll continue to have some small amount of being positive. Many of you can just quit on the team.

Unfortunately unless Coyle has told them in private, the staff is going to be trying to enhance their resumes the final 3 weeks. Yesterday showed that the strategy was not to protect the players, but to try and make the score look better.

I was only listening to the game at that point, but why was Ishmael in the game at the end? Was Custis, or Enoicy/Womack also on the field? How about Conway? I just don't understand burning a year and then not using guys in those kinds of situations.

I am sure Shafer feels sick about Dungey getting hurt, but there was no reason for any starters to be out there at that point. I might even agree with Bud that sitting Dungey the rest of the year is the right move.

And they burned those kids shirts for what? Should have played me instead!:vomit:

Not really so I'll continue to have some small amount of being positive. Many of you can just quit on the team.
I'm not quitting on the team. I am quitting on the staff.

If we somehow win 5 games and a bowl needs a losing team and we have the best APR or whatever, I'm happy for the kids and will appreciate the extra practices, but it's still the same underachieving staff. It wouldn't make the staff any better.

OttoinGrotto said:
I'm not quitting on the team. I am quitting on the staff. If we somehow win 5 games and a bowl needs a losing team and we have the best APR or whatever, I'm happy for the kids and will appreciate the extra practices, but it's still the same underachieving staff. It wouldn't make the staff any better.

You can't have it both ways. It's impossible to have the players win and the coaches lose.

Last edited:

Maybe asking for a change is truly supporting the players. I would hate to waste the college careers of some talented players while we preach patience for a coaching staff that is not doing the job.

It is possible to find coaches who can win games and foster a climate that promotes the personal development of the team.

You can't have it both ways. It's impossible to have the players win and the coaches loose.
Well, sir. You simply do not know the mechanations of my mind very well, because I CAN.

cliftonparksufan said:
Maybe the coaches need to be looser.

Yea, just saw that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors