so whats it gonna take to make the tourny? | Syracusefan.com

so whats it gonna take to make the tourny?

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
win the rest of the non conference games.

11-7 acc record. i doubt 10-8 will get us in considering we'll have literally zero quality non conference wins.

win the rest of the non conference games.

11-7 acc record. i doubt 10-8 will get us in considering we'll have literally zero quality non conference wins.
(repeating what I just posted in the other thread) 10-8 probably will do if there are a few big names (esp road) amongst the 10

and for those who say something like "we'll be lucky to make the nit", march madness is my favorite time of the year and its too damn early to give up on it! remember we lost to wisconisn at home and got blown out at gtown and started 0-4 in the acc last year and made f4.

Win out the OOC and 11-7 in the ACC. We'll probably go on a long winning streak now after we have shown ourselves to be awful. That would be typical Boeheim.

and for those who say something like "we'll be lucky to make the nit", march madness is my favorite time of the year and its too damn early to give up on it! remember we lost to wisconisn at home and got blown out at gtown and started 0-4 in the acc last year and made f4.

We had some solid OOC wins last year though, this year, not sure if we play anybody else that would be considered quality.

I think 11-7. 10-8 maybe if we steal a huge road game.

Considering our current RPI is 167, it might take a miracle for this squad to make the NCAAs.

patience and repetition.

We'll never have a fine tuned offense, and theres no excuse for that from the coaches I don't care who it is.

But we gotta pray the zone and transition game clicks in practice and all of a sudden teams can't adjust to us. We're far too athletic and have too much postseason experience on this team not to succeed.

Would love to see Coleman take over this team in the locker room. Has more postseason experience than likely anyone if not 99% of the ACC.

9-9 then losing the opening ACCT tourney game won't get it done this year.

Hard to give an exact number as not all wins are created equal. 10-8 with big road wins. 11-7 with "upset" home wins.

It's really hard to say without seeing other bubble resumes, but something to consider...

Sweep the rest of the non-conference we are 10-3
Go 11-7 in the ACC we are 21-10

So we could possibly be a ten loss team with these wins

v Colgate
v Holy Cross
v Monmouth
v South Carolina St
v North Florida
v Boston U
v Georgetown
v Eastern Michigan
v St. John's
v Cornell

at Boston College
v Pittsburgh
at Virginia Tech
v Boston College
v Wake Forest
v Florida St
at NC State
at Clemson
at Pittsburgh
at Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech

I'm not sure (hard to say at this point) a resume like that gets us in. With the non-conference resume we will end up with this team is going to need a few marquee wins in the ACC.

I think we are all assuming that JB will get things corrected to a degree so that we begin to play closer to our expectations than we are currently playing. That probably won't be at a top 5 level, but could it be a back half of the top 25 level? If we are playing better by the end of the year, there is always the automatic bid route. In that regard the NCCAT isn't off the board until we lose that last game in March at the Barclays Center.

I think we are all assuming that JB will get things corrected to a degree so that we begin to play closer to our expectations than we are currently playing. That probably won't be at a top 5 level, but could it be a back half of the top 25 level? If we are playing better by the end of the year, there is always the automatic bid route. In that regard the NCCAT isn't off the board until we lose that last game in March at the Barclays Center.
and even without getting the auto by winning the accT, winning 2-3 games in one of the marquee conf tourneys goes a long way in the eyes of the committee

98c066031a279e34cab9d74dfb061ac955fbecea.jpeg

Amazing what a couple weeks can do to confidence. I don't see signs we will right the ship in time.

Our projected resume ends up very close to what we had last year. (As an FYI the projected resume projects the rest of our season based on Sagarin)

RPI Forecast

19-12, 4-8 top 50 record, 2 bad losses, RPI in mid 60s.

Although the record ends up being the same and the RPI about the same as last year, we lack the quality OOC wins. I believe last year we had 5 top 50 wins, and we had a great mix of neutral and of course the road win at Duke. It's going to be hard to get that mix again.

Mix always matters in terms of top 50 wins... not so much for RPI. My guess is that 19-12 would just be on the outside (Final 4 out) entering the ACC tourney and we would need at least one quality win in the ACC tournament.

My guess is that 20-11 would be a fairly safe resume to get in. RPI around 50, and to get to 20 wins we will inherently have to get 4 or 5 top 50 wins.

Just some other positives for consideration:

1) The ACC has had a very good preseason - probably better than last year although I do not have the numbers in front of me. 9 ACC wins will inherently give you a number of top 50 wins.
2) Last year we were 19-12 and lost our first round game and still were not one of the last 4 in. So while our 19-12 might be weaker there is still some leeway. And if we win the our first quality ACC tourney game it probably closes the gap completely.
3) We don't have a St. John's type loss on our resume. (yet anyway)

Disadvantages:
1) Lack of OOC wins
2) Likely will not have a strong group of quality neutral win/road
3) Playing like crap right now so the thought of 19 or 20 wins is hard to fathom.

But I stick with my 20-11 to feel fairly safe entering the ACC tournament, and 19-12 to be a little bit more uncertain than last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom