So who is the best three point shooter on this team... | Syracusefan.com

So who is the best three point shooter on this team...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
G is up there. Malachi had his first lackluster game, and Cooney is still shakey.

But what really got me posting this was Kaleb drained alot of shots the first frew games to be our best then took 0 threes the last two although he played 4 minutes one game and had to play the point the other.
Lydon is 3-3 the last two games and they looked automatic. They just lack the experience taking alot of them.

Some things make you laugh like when a opponent just goes off for three against us, I think Kaleb, Cooney, G, Gbinije and Lydon are all not only capable of just hitting 2-3 threes, but also 6-10 every one of them.
I do wonder why we don't have 1-2 guys who do that every game if not every other. I find it perplexing knowing we have all these shooters and yet some nobody from st bonnies gets hot and hits every piece of garbage from nba range with someone draped all over him and 2 seconds on the clock. (Its not but it almost appears as some sort of mind control to make us miss and for them to hit at times).

I am at a point where if we don't have someone hitting atleast 6 threes every other game and atleast 4-5 every game something is wrong in our shooting toughness department. You watch other teams and they just have shooters who know they are going to make the shot. No doubt in their mind. And they do it against us gets me alittle jealous I guess.

Of course as bad luck would have it as the curse does with our team (not other teams though must be angels battling against us in the supernatural realm or something). One of our guys we hoped would shoot the three Frank Howard has cooled off. When that happens we have to state two things. One that this player has cooled off so another one doesn't, and two maybe we are wrong altogether, and he will pick it back up :p.

Last edited:
As crazy as it sounds, game on the line, down 3 and 5 seconds left, I want Cooney taking the shot. He may not be our best shooter but i think he is the most capable of shooting 40+ % on the team.

We do have some good shooters, just feel most comfortable with Cooney shooting the 3 ball.

As crazy as it sounds, game on the line, down 3 and 5 seconds left, I want Cooney taking the shot. He may not be our best shooter but i think he is the most capable of shooting 40+ % on the team.

We do have some good shooters, just feel most comfortable with Cooney shooting the 3 ball.

sup Coach
latest

G.

Lydon has good form, and he's tall so he doesn't have to alter his shot much on the contest. You really need to see far more of him though to say if he's going to be able to hit the shot consistently.

sup Coach
latest

Hahaha. Well, I can see why others would disagree with me and I honestly have zero argument defending why I'd prefer Shakey Potatoes but seeing him have those long stretches in the past 2 seasons where he just couldn't miss makes me believe he's capable of it and it'll happen again.

Gbinije is 51-117 from 3 since last Christmas, which is 44%. Cooney shot really well the first half of 2013-14, but has mostly struggled since.

Richardson and Lydon may be the best shooters of this bunch by the time they are done as they both have textbook looking strokes, but it's too early to make that call. Gbinije has done it consistently for a long enough stretch that I'm going with him.

I say Silent G. (But then what's up with all those silly turnovers?)

I feel you, Orange13, I really do. WHY can't all these guys whom we know damn well CAN make a three, um, make them? Is it too much to expect that we could have 3 guys hot at the same time? Just 3 out of 5? Doesn't have to be the same 3. :noidea: Hmmmmmmmmm?

Or G.

I say Silent G. (But then what's up with all those silly turnovers?)

I feel you, Orange13, I really do. WHY can't all these guys whom we know damn well CAN make a three, um, make them? Is it too much to expect that we could have 3 guys hot at the same time? Just 3 out of 5? Doesn't have to be the same 3. :noidea: Hmmmmmmmmm?

+1. A big part of it is Lydon and Joseph haven't really pushed to shoot more on their own.
Their release is alittle slower then Cooney G and Malachi but they have nice tight form and seem to land right where they lift off from.

orangefan13 said:
+1. A big part of it is Lydon and Joseph haven't really pushed to shoot more on their own. Their release is alittle slower then Cooney G and Malachi but they have nice tight form and seem to land right where they lift off from.

I agree with everyone here that we have lots of guys who can shoot. We are missing the guy who can pass and set it all up. An MCW type whose natural instinct is first to make a play/assist.

I am at a point where if we don't have someone hitting atleast 6 threes every other game and atleast 4-5 every game something is wrong in our shooting toughness department.

I can't think of any teams that have shooters like this. Having at least one guy on a team hit that many threes every game or every other game has to be pretty rare. Traditional Notre Dame teams with 17 shooters on the court at one time are the only teams I can think of that would pull this off consistently.

You watch other teams and they just have shooters who know they are going to make the shot. No doubt in their mind. And they do it against us gets me alittle jealous I guess.

Malachi oozes confidence. Where Cooney looks like he is just hoping to hit rim on a lot of his releases, Malachi looks amazed if it's not a swish. Malachi is your dude here.

i'll predict young malachi will shoot the best % by seasons end. maybe not most made but best %.
ideally i guess i'd see him coming off the bench to spell cooney at the two for the first half of the season before taking over starting role in say january. shooting out top with fresh legs would jack his #'s tremendously. but...well that ain't happening. still think he's got the best stroke even playing out of position .

Last edited:
i'll predict young malachi will shoot the best % by seasons end. maybe not most made but best %.
ideally i guess i'd see him coming off the bench to spell cooney at the two for the first half of the season before taking over starting role in say january. shooting out top with fresh legs would jack his #'s tremendously. but...well that ain't happening. still think he's got the best stroke even playing out of position .

TL gets my vote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom