So You're Saying There's a Chance? | Syracusefan.com

So You're Saying There's a Chance?

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
So realistically, is there ANY shot we can squeak in? What else needs to break our way this week? Who else do we need to be rooting for?

I guess I don't know enough about the way the tournament is scheduled but are the 10-16 seeds reserved for the 28 mid-major/non power conference teams that win their conference tournament?

If we somehow make it are we relegated to a play-in game?

image.png

So realistically, is there ANY shot we can squeak in? What else needs to break our way this week? Who else do we need to be rooting for?

I guess I don't know enough about the way the tournament is scheduled but are the 10-16 seeds reserved for the 28 mid-major/non power conference teams that win their conference tournament?

If we somehow make it are we relegated to a play-in game?

image.png
I'd say there is a 20% chance we get in, and that would certainly be in Dayton.

I would think that there is still a chance.
The bubble is terrible this year. We just have to hope that some of the bubble teams in the A10 and AAC lose early in their tourneys.
If we were a Pitt win away from being in for sure (or 95% sure) then we have to be around 25-35% chance of getting in if we lose by 1.

Nah, time to throw in the towel and look forward to next season.

Lunardi said as of RIGHT NOW we are the last team in. However that doesn't take into consideration teams on the outside making a run and playing their way into the tournament. If we are the last team in as of today then our shot on Sunday is pretty low.

I know the committees first meeting was this afternoon -- if they watched the end of that game, if there is anyway to lose a game and it not absolutely kill your chances, that was it. It's just a huge sting knowing if Cooney's shot was an inch further, we'd be in. Getting blown out would destroy our chances, but right now it's definitely less than 10%.

We have to hope that the committee weighs our 4-5 record without JB -- not that we finished the season strong at all.

Dayton if anything. At least we only lost by 1 point -- if we had lost by 20 like we seemed on a path to, on the first game big game played in the committee room it would have been bad. Whatever the eye test is that would have been a fail.

These are the two keys I have.

1. Standing vs Mid Majors I think what really matters is where Syracuse will be ranked against Wichita, St. Mary's, Monmouth and Valpo. If we are behind just 2 we may be OK.

2. Cincy beat UConn and Temple and do a double knockout The only team left that was behind us that could pass with only win in their tourney is UConn. So Cincy needs to wipe them out, and take Temple out as well.

After that all the P5 teams on the outside have to win multiple games still.

So who knows. Unless the P5 tourney are all over the place, it will probably be worth watching on Sunday, yes or no.

Lunardi said as of RIGHT NOW we are the last team in. However that doesn't take into consideration teams on the outside making a run and playing their way into the tournament. If we are the last team in as of today then our shot on Sunday is pretty low.

No individual P5 team has a great shot of pushing out of that spot however. They all 2 wins+ (including a top 10 level win) or 3 wins / win the tourney. 1 or 2 may ultimately do it, but I don't think it will be more than that.

If that is enough, depends on Cincy coming through for us and what the committee thinks of St Mary's / Monmouth.

I think we get in the play in game against Wichita State. I think our win at Duke is going to be huge to the committee. All bets are off if Championship Week goes nutty.

When looking at Lunardi and many brackets, just remember they have an extra team in their brackets right now - Temple. (Basically an anti bubble buster) Temple is only in that spot because he places first place teams in from any conference in his bracket as the auto bid. If they don't win the AAC (likely) they have little shot at an large bid.

When I create my lines from the brackets I always remove Temple to make it more realistic.

With a 1 and 5 record in the last 6 games, does anyone think we earned a spot?

I think we deserved our fate what ever it may be. We have put our lives in the hands of other teams and the committee. What ever is the decision it will be a fair one at this point.

But the "whether we deserve it" points hold zero relevance in the whether we have a chance discussion.

I think we deserved our fate what ever it may be. We have put our lives in the hands of other teams and the committee. What ever is the decision it will be a fair one at this point.

But the "whether we deserve it" points hold zero relevance in the whether we have a chance discussion.

Sure did, so many games this year we spit the bit in. Two cracks to beat two mediocre teams, Pitt, and Fsu,with an Ncaa tournament bid on the line, and you can't get it done.

I said 'earned' not 'deserve'.

We don't 'deserve' anything and unfortunately, we probably 'earned' a spot in the NIT with 5 losses at the end of a lack luster season.

Two years out of the Tournament seems unbearable. Last year, I completely tuned out, didn't complete a bracket or anything. I hate to do it again.

Two years out of the Tournament seems unbearable. Last year, I completely tuned out, didn't complete a bracket or anything. I hate to do it again.
Then don't. I bleed orange so much, I'm bummed beyond belief. But I also love college basketball. I definitely will continue to watch. Do it for the love of the game!

Saw this on ESPN just recently -
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Syracuse [19-13 (9-9), RPI: 61, SOS: 42] On Wednesday, immediately after his team's 72-71 loss ACC Tournament loss to Pittsburgh, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim admitted he didn't know whether his team would make the field or not. But he did argue that his nine-game suspension early in the season -- during which Syracuse went 4-5 and suffered its worst loss of the season at St. John's -- should be a factor in the committee's decision. Fortunately, the committee agrees. Committee chair Joe Castiglione has been consistent on that point throughout the season, and he reiterated it on a media conference call Wednesday morning. "In Syracuse's case, we recognize you have a hall of fame coach who has assembled his team, knows his team,'' Castiglione said. "To pretend he's not a difference maker would be a mistake.'' That remains the greatest argument in the Orange's favor: Boeheim's return immediately led to a drastic uptick in Syracuse's play, best embodied in the team's Jan. 18 win at Duke. For weeks, the gulf between the Boeheim/no-Boeheim 'Cuse was remarkably wide. Unfortunately, Syracuse muddled that gulf with five losses in six games down the stretch. Still, if the committee is willing to basically throw out the nine games Boeheim missed -- emphasis on if, because we just don't know -- then the Orange, though far bubblier now than they were a month ago, may still hold an advantage over other more conventional bubble contenders. We'll see.

wE have yet to win an ACC tourney game.

Saw this on ESPN just recently -
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Syracuse [19-13 (9-9), RPI: 61, SOS: 42] On Wednesday, immediately after his team's 72-71 loss ACC Tournament loss to Pittsburgh, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim admitted he didn't know whether his team would make the field or not. But he did argue that his nine-game suspension early in the season -- during which Syracuse went 4-5 and suffered its worst loss of the season at St. John's -- should be a factor in the committee's decision. Fortunately, the committee agrees. Committee chair Joe Castiglione has been consistent on that point throughout the season, and he reiterated it on a media conference call Wednesday morning. "In Syracuse's case, we recognize you have a hall of fame coach who has assembled his team, knows his team,'' Castiglione said. "To pretend he's not a difference maker would be a mistake.'' That remains the greatest argument in the Orange's favor: Boeheim's return immediately led to a drastic uptick in Syracuse's play, best embodied in the team's Jan. 18 win at Duke. For weeks, the gulf between the Boeheim/no-Boeheim 'Cuse was remarkably wide. Unfortunately, Syracuse muddled that gulf with five losses in six games down the stretch. Still, if the committee is willing to basically throw out the nine games Boeheim missed -- emphasis on if, because we just don't know -- then the Orange, though far bubblier now than they were a month ago, may still hold an advantage over other more conventional bubble contenders. We'll see.
If they really run with that theory, we would be in. Simply switching the Clemson game vastly changes the look of this team.

Talk is cheap though. We will see on Sunday night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom