Some People Aren't Going to Like Hearing This... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Some People Aren't Going to Like Hearing This...

We need 4 consecutive recruiting classes with more 3 star talent than 2 star talent before we can compete with these talented teams.

Unless we get a special McNabb like talent to dominate.

We need 4 consecutive recruiting classes with more 3 star talent than 2 star talent before we can compete with these talented teams.

How do we compete with loaded teams like Purdue, BC and NC State when they trot out all their 4 star recruits and McNabb type talents in Etling, Brissett and Murphy? I take it that's the only way those teams actually competed with highly ranked opponents?

I watched the game by myself and have said this on this site multiple times and get shouted down. We need to recruit better talent. So when we lose good recruits we have to stop delusionally saying next man up, or we trust the coaches, or our players will ultimately get offers from the big boys, or ...
We need bigger, faster, stronger players and beat the teams in recruiting we need to beat on the field.

Agree 100% Sudano, they were men, we were boys.

I understand your view. However, the offense and ST did not improve and had it not been for 5 ND turnovers the score would have been 20 or 30 points higher. You really have to look very hard to find a kernel of improvement. ND never even had to punt. They either scored or stopped themselves. It was really a disheartening night.

2 punts (no returns).

right my bad

Crusty, it was a pleasure meeting you at the Metlife tailgate. My better half (for sure) thinks your wife is awesome. My daughter loved her as well, the toy she gave to help keep her occupied was a Godsend and much appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Crusty, it was a pleasure meeting you at the Metlife tailgate. My better half (for sure) thinks your wife is awesome. My daughter loved her as well, the toy she gave to help keep her occupied was a Godsend and much appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Same here. Your daughter is a little doll! You are going to need a club to beat the boys away when she is a teenager! Hope to see you at the Fine Mess sometime.

Same here. Your daughter is a little doll! You are going to need a club to beat the boys away when she is a teenager! Hope to see you at the Fine Mess sometime.

I will make sure to attend and meet the rest of the crew. As for my daughter, I already have a radiator picked out to chain her to.

I could be wrong, but I think this one will be our 3rd in a row.

If it were just a talent issue it would be a different story.It goes beyond this one game.If we went out and played smart,tough,disciplined football and lost to better teams,I think everyone would be ok with that.This team needs all the wins it can get right now and to watch them leave so many on the table because of the dumb,sloppy play for so long, is what is so frustrating to everyone.At least that's how I feel.

This isn't just about the ND game, it's about the Villanova and MD game too. We might not be ready to compete with top 25 teams or top 15 or whatever. That's ok, it is what it is. But you have to be able to dominate most of the game against Villanova and beat MD. All of my disappointment is the combination of the whole season. ND gave up 4 TO's and we had 3 points off that. Talk about big plays on offense all you want. It doesn't matter if you get big plays or a lot of little plays, if you only score 3 points off 4 TO's you're never really in the game. We have a talent gap, obviously. But our recruits are and have been in the same "pool" as many other teams that we play and Villanova should have won the game and MD completely outclassed us. That is where the talent argument holds very little water with me, we aren't even competitive with our peer teams. Villanova is not our peer and they beat us, except for 1 mistake.

This isn't just about the ND game, it's about the Villanova and MD game too. We might not be ready to compete with top 25 teams or top 15 or whatever. That's ok, it is what it is. But you have to be able to dominate most of the game against Villanova and beat MD. All of my disappointment is the combination of the whole season. ND gave up 4 TO's and we had 3 points off that. Talk about big plays on offense all you want. It doesn't matter if you get big plays or a lot of little plays, if you only score 3 points off 4 TO's you're never really in the game. We have a talent gap, obviously. But our recruits are and have been in the same "pool" as many other teams that we play and Villanova should have won the game and MD completely outclassed us. That is where the talent argument holds very little water with me, we aren't even competitive with our peer teams. Villanova is not our peer and they beat us, except for 1 mistake.
Losing your starting qb is the reason we didnt vs nova

SU is a good team with a lot of positives going for them. Are there shortcomings...absolutely. 2 kicks blocked in the last two games, easy missed FG's, no end zone kick offs, No separation by receivers, Hunts passing has been inconsistent, no push or penetration by DL, Tough schedule Maryland 37 Indiana 15 who just gave Mizzou their only loss. Poor execution inside the 30. The hurry up, get ready and wait offense that puzzles the heck out of me.

That said, I'm looking forward to the Louisville game and let's see what team shows up because my feelings are we will talking a whole different on Saturday morning. Again...I see and get the shortcomings but overall this is a solid team that can win or lose every game on their schedule except for FSU and probably Clemson now since that Watson kid has taken off.

Oh and Villanova might be the best team in Pennsylvania.

500yds, 400yds vs p5 teams
+5 in TO margin
Given up one sack in 4 games, while sacking the opponent an average of 3.2 a game

We need to score and maximize our opportunities - we've been leaving a ton of points on the field. If we can figure that out? We are bowling and may shock someone yet.

500yds, 400yds vs p5 teams
+5 in TO margin
Given up one sack in 4 games, while sacking the opponent an average of 3.2 a game

We need to score and maximize our opportunities - we've been leaving a ton of points on the field. If we can figure that out? We are bowling and may shock someone yet.

And all of that is largely without any truly dynamic playmaking talent on either side of the ball. We have a few nice players [Lynch, Reddish, Gulley, Hunt], but nobody who is a game changer. Seems to me that the system is foundationally sound; we just need better athletes and better execution to really make things pop.

I think your friend gives Hunt too much of a pass. You don't have to be an NFL scout to see that Hunt's accuracy is below average for a major college QB. Saturday night's game was no exception.

Maybe something like this was already mentioned, I didn't read the whole thread, but does Boston College have better talent than USC? Upsets happen all of the time. They usually happen when the better team makes mistakes and gives the underdog a chance. Notre Dame did their best to give us an upset with their five turnovers, but we couldn't capitalize on them.

And all of that is largely without any truly dynamic playmaking talent on either side of the ball. We have a few nice players [Lynch, Reddish, Gulley, Hunt], but nobody who is a game changer. Seems to me that the system is foundationally sound; we just need better athletes and better execution to really make things pop.

And to stop the procedural penalties. It's killing drives. Lack of kicking game is hurting us too.

But otherwise - we're playing pretty close to winning football.

I think your friend gives Hunt too much of a pass. You don't have to be an NFL scout to see that Hunt's accuracy is below average for a major college QB. Saturday night's game was no exception.

That pass to Ben Lewis over the LB and under the safety - in stride - begs to differ.

I could be wrong, but I think this one will be our 3rd in a row.
This is great news. I know last year's was as I looked after asking last night. We need our 2 deep to be full of 3 star talent. I am afraid looking at the numbers Marrone's recruiting classes were more 2 star talent. Marrone's last year and Shafer's first year appear to changed the tide.

everyone playing QB has made some good throws in their lives.

He had a bunch more. It wasn't a great game - but he still made more than a few nice throws deep. And that particular play was really nice - looked left, went to his 2nd option and pulled the trigger very quickly.

Be dismissive if you want - but I'll look for signs that he's getting better. And that was one.

This is great news. I know last year's was as I looked after asking last night. We need our 2 deep to be full of 3 star talent. I am afraid looking at the numbers Marrone's recruiting classes were more 2 star talent. Marrone's last year and Shafer's first year appear to changed the tide.

There was a dip the year that Marrone left us stranded - but we've rebounded nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom